Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR eating batteries!  (Read 7894 times)

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Edirol R-09HR eating batteries!
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:01:05 AM »
Well... perhaps not literally, but all of a sudden my R-09HR doesn't last more than just over 2 hours while recording... I thought my old 2700mAh rechargables were bad, so I got me a set of new ones. But it's exactly the same now... Also, the recorder dies with the batteries - leaving just a file with 1 second!!! It can't remember what has been recorded at all (even though the file is as large as expected).

Usually I record with microphone + batterybox. Perhaps that setup will make the  recording last longer? I sure hope so, going to Judas Priest next week - and it seems they're playing for 140 mins!

Anyone encountered this problem? Thankful for ANY help.

If the recorder has "quit", what would be the best option after this? : I want long batterytime, external memorycard, rec volume control with just buttons (no knob!)...

/Jonas "jontebus"

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09HR eating batteries!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 03:21:10 AM »
Did the setting for battery type get changed to alkaline?

Is your battery charger working?

Try running a set of alkalines and see what kind of run times you get (be sure to change the battery type accordingly).
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
NO, it's set to NiMh. I bought a new charger as well, with the new batteries...

It might, however have been set to NiMh while using alkalines about a year ago (when I had been letting a friend use the recorder). Does that "damage" anything?

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 03:36:11 AM »
NO, it's set to NiMh. I bought a new charger as well, with the new batteries...

It might, however have been set to NiMh while using alkalines about a year ago (when I had been letting a friend use the recorder). Does that "damage" anything?

I don't think that would have damaged anything, the recorder would just had false readings on the battery meter and would have shut down at a different low battery voltage.

It is possible that the new batteries are no good, I have had that happen with new Sanyo 2700's twice! Fortunately they were replaced both times, no questions asked.

Try running a test with a fresh set of alkalines and see what happens.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:44:14 AM »
I have an older model RO-9 as a backup.  I tried Ni-MH once and never again.  A new set of good quality alkalines for every show, and don't expect more than 4 hours.  Don't count on more than 3.  I usually go to shows that have an interval - and changed batteries every time. 

Using that experience as a benchmark, your 2 hours may not be so big a problem.  It narrows the "problem" down considerably and my first reaction is, if you must use rechargeables, get a good quality charger that can fully discharge/recharge batteries.   

Battery life is the single greatest advantage of the Sony PCM-M10.  But the Edirol is a good device and I'd try the alkalines before ditching it.    Good luck.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:57:44 AM »
OK, I'll go with a fresh pair of quality alkalines for the Priest/Hammerfall-show next week. 3 hours is what I at least expect per x2 batteries. I ran the exact same NiMh that I just bought, before - and they ran 4 hours with no problem.

But what about the file that is created during the recording? Isn't the recorder supposed to "remember" what has been recorded before the batteries die? It cannot open in any program, and the player itself shows 1second... Never happened before...

I don't HAVE to use rechargables, it's just a waste of money buying a new pair of alkalines for every show... the old batteries must be at least 2 years now, and have worked fine before. At the last show the batteries didn't even let the recorder start. It didn't matter how long I pressed the POWER-button, nothing happened. And when changing to the other 2 batteries I brought in, they dropped from full % to 75% right away...

Perhaps I should try to return the rechargables, too bad I didn't save the box they came in...

Offline Cyberbio

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Still curious by this, as I am running my HR with Eneloops and have to change them normally after 5-6 hours recording, so ?
Mics: SP-CMC-8 (low sens modded) cardioid, hyper-cardioid or omnis; CAFS-Omnis
BBox: SP-SPSB-11; SP-SPSB-8
Gear: EDIROL R09 HR, Sony MZ-RH1, iriver IHP 120

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »
You should be able to recover the file using the Repair menu option on the R09HR (as long as you haven't deleted the file or formatted the card).

Sorry, I don't have an R09HR any longer or I'd try to give you more detailed info, but it is pretty straightforward and obvious from what I remember.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:19:20 AM »
It sounds like you have a serious issue with the recorder.  I suggest you verifiy it is resolved before depending on it to record a show.

I've never heard of anyone on TS having this problem, and a lot of us use those recorders.  I ran my R09 for years on rechargables with a cheap charger.  It worked great.  I'd check the battery compartment for debris or gunk on the contacts.  You can gently clean most contacts with a pencil eraser.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 10:51:31 AM »
Luckily, it did its job on the last show I was at, but as I said: I was having problems starting the unit.

Perhaps I should try cleaning up the battery compartment. Why would I use a pencil eraser in the batterycompartment? Isn't that a risk getting even more junk in there? Isn't isopropanyl-alcohol a better idea? Maybe not... ?

It was just "test-files" I can't really open (luckily) but thanks for giving the tip of recover :)

I bought a set of Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries now, and I'm giving it a try just letting the recorder record for as long as it can before the batteries die.

We'll see what happens. Great input by everyone! ;)

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
did you cleaned the battery contacts inside?.

But looks like a serious issue with the recorder, with the battery electronics.

2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 11:37:12 AM »
I also turn my brightness down on my display as well to almost off. That does save juice. Also make sure your plug in power is off it will not save you much of anything if you are using line input.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 11:42:56 AM »
Another consideration is these being new batteries.  Often, new rechargeables need a few charging cycles to condition them.  The advice to keep contacts clean and reduce brightness is spot on. 

As for the data (that should be) on the card, I use a program called Card Recovery.  It has recovered complete shows when others, including the RO-9's own system, said no files  existed. 

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 11:50:38 AM »
did you cleaned the battery contacts inside?.

But looks like a serious issue with the recorder, with the battery electronics.

No, didn't clean anything yet - the Energizer Ultimate Lithium-batteries are in now - and after 1 hour 10 mins of straight recording (24bit/48kHz), the battery indicator hasn't even moved yet...

*** EDIT *** 1hour 30mins now with the Lithium batteries (non-rechargable) and the battery indicator STILL hasn't moved... perhaps I should get some rechargable Li-ion's?

*** EDIT 2 *** 2 hours straight now, still no movement on the battery-indicator... Feel pretty confident there's nothing wrong with the recorder, but the batteries...

*** EDIT 3 *** 2hours 40mins.... no movement...  ;D

*** EDIT 4 *** 3hours 30mins...  :laugh:

*** EDIT 5 *** Over 4hours 30mins then my memorycard was full (had other stuff on it before), so... no need to worry! It was the batteries themselves! (battery indicator hadn't moved a BIT!!!)

*** EDIT 6 *** Still nothing after over 6 hours... God, these batteries are KILLER!!!

*** EDIT 7 *** It actually filled upp (at least) 12GB of recording without failing, and since I recorded 24bit/48kHz w. max 2GB per file it's about 12 hours on one set of batteries!

/Jonas
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:21:06 AM by jontebus »

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »
I also turn my brightness down on my display as well to almost off. That does save juice. Also make sure your plug in power is off it will not save you much of anything if you are using line input.

Plug in power is off (taped over that section on the back right away) and brightness is also down.

Seems it might be the old batteries that actually started to go (1000 recharges is b-shit to me, at least with full power) and the new batteries needing a few cycles to get 100%.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.221 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com