Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how do you correct a stereo file with unbalanced left/right?  (Read 2914 times)

Chimney Top

• Trade Count: (0)
I use Logic, but not an expert...

I have a recording that came out way off balanced, the right channel has much more gain... how do i bring the gain up just on the left to make it balanced?

Thanks

dorrcoq

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: how do you correct a stereo file with unbalanced left/right?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 03:53:21 AM »
There should be somthing like "split stereo track" which separates the two tracks and allows you to do edits on only one at a tme.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:22:35 AM »
You can use SoX to balance the channels.  SoX can automatically adjust the channels independently such that the peak level is the same on both channels, or you can use SoX to automatically adjust the channels so that the average RMS level of both channels are the same.

See here for details:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=138652.0

Offline brad.bartels

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 05:53:35 PM »
There should be somthing like "split stereo track" which separates the two tracks and allows you to do edits on only one at a tme.

Yep, this is what I do with Audacity. What software are you using? If Audacity, there is a little arrow off to the left of the stereo tracks. If you click on the arrow, you get a drop down menu where you can split the tracks, then use the Amplify function on one channel to either raise or lower its amplitude until they are balanced. Then click on the arrow to the left again to put it back as a stereo track (make stereo track).

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 03:19:54 AM »
I think it depends on why the 2 channels are unbalanced in the first place.

It could be either: (i) the mics had different level settings, or are not well matched; or (ii) your recording position/mic placement was such that the stereo image is unbalanced.

If its the first, then do what has already been suggested and amplify one channel. If it's the latter, try a stereo image plug in (eg Waves S1, or something similar) that allows you to rotate an asymmetric stereo image. You might get better results, i.e. less noise, better image, this way.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com