Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 103612 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »
Yeah, I still love mine.  I can't see me getting rid of it.  As much as the HS-p82 keeps calling out to me, I just can't get myself to fork over the cash.  With a V3 and USBPre-2 I can even sync both of mine to my Alesis HD-24 when I need to do more than 24 track multitrack recordings.  I have found myself using the stock preamps instead of the SD MP-2 more and more.  Probably for easeier set up.  The transformer pres of the MP_2 does have it's own flavor and works better with some mics as oppsed to others.  Where the stock preamps seem to be just fine with whatever I am running.  And almost all the time I am running 32GB SDHC cards now so I never have to worry about them.  I do have a handful of 16GB cards for those times I wont be able to transfer them.  Enough to do multiple bands over three days if needed.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »
I really wish I did more 4 channel work in the same location :( when these get any cheaper I'm going to have to buy one for when I run mk41>LB>680 and mk21>TB>680 from the same location in the venue
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #182 on: May 05, 2013, 09:15:53 AM »
I've done a search through the forums, but can't find an answer to this question. (My apologies if it's been dealt with already.)

Has anyone burned 6-channel music DVDs or Blurays of their multi-track 24/96 WAV files from their DR680, using Mac OS X?

I'd like to be able to keep the WAV files at 24/96.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2013, 06:57:14 PM »
I haven't done it, and am not a Mac user.  You need authoring software to do it, which is probably costly for Blueray.  Samplitude has DVD-A authoring built-in, but I've never tried it.  Blueray can support 8+ channels of uncompressed LPCM at 24/96 or more I believe.  If I am not mistaken, DVD cannot throughput six uncompressed channels at that rate.  DVD-A can do 5 channels of 24/96 LPCM, maybe 6. I know it can do 6 at 24/48. DVD-V can only fit 6 uncompressed channels at somewhat lower resolutions I think.  Easy enough to find non-speculative answers with a web search I'm sure.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 07:57:09 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2013, 07:26:58 PM »
I haven't done it, and am not a Mac user.  You need authoring software to do it, which is probably costly for Blueray.  Samplitude has DVD-A authoring built-in, but I've never tried it.  Blueray can support 8 channels of uncompressed LPCM at 24/96.  If I am not mistaken, DVD cannot throughput six uncompressed channels at that rate.  DVD-A can do 5 channels of LPCM, maybe 6 at 24/96, but definitely 6 at 24/48. DVD-V can only fit 6 uncompressed channels at somewhat lower resolutions I think.

Many thanks for that information. From what you've said, I know where to look now, and will see what is possible in Bluray authoring software.

But even getting 4 channels of uncompressed LPCM at 24/96 on DVD-A would be excellent.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2013, 07:35:54 PM »
What are you trying to accomplish?

If you are recording 2 stereo pairs, You probably won't enjoy listening to 4 channels raw - you will need to master it down into surround sound mix which is a different topic (i have never done this and can imagine it would be alot of work) and made easier if you run a surround sound configuration when recording.

If you are running 2 stereo pairs your best bet is to mix down to a stereo file and not four channels.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2013, 08:22:32 AM »
What are you trying to accomplish?

If you are recording 2 stereo pairs, You probably won't enjoy listening to 4 channels raw - you will need to master it down into surround sound mix which is a different topic (i have never done this and can imagine it would be alot of work) and made easier if you run a surround sound configuration when recording.

If you are running 2 stereo pairs your best bet is to mix down to a stereo file and not four channels.

I want to try two different setups.

1. Environmental sounds: I want to make a 4-channel recording of an outdoor location so that playback will give a surround experience to the listener. Hopefully the levels set during recording will pretty much be the playback levels. So it wouldn't matter that the 4 channels are raw.

2. Music: I want to set up a four to six channel recording of a performance (organ recital, small groups). Again, the result would be a surround playback, perhaps not exactly realistic in the case of the group, but giving the impression of being surrounded by the instruments. In the case of the organ recital, I would put one stereo pair at the front of the church, and the other further back.

These might be only rough mixes at first; then I would have to get into surround mixing as you suggest.

The idea may not work as planned, but I just need a quick way to get the tracks on a multi-channel disc to have a listen. Just so I don't always have to plug and unplug my DR-680 into my Home Theatre setup.

There's a Mac program called "BURN" which does DVD-A that I'm going to try.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
That’s similar to what I’ve been doing. I've meant to eventually edit the files and burn discs, but have never gotten around to that part.  I simply plug the 6 direct outs of the 680 into the home-theater receiver for surround playback.  That's much simpler and easier for me than authoring a disc.  Since the mic setups are specificly chosen for multichannel surround, they don't really need any surround mixing done, just some EQ and level adjustment.

There are some free options for authoring non-compressed LPCM DVDs (not-dolby or DTS encoded) I think, but as mentioned I've not tried them.

I have a multichannel RCA cable which I keep connected to one of the receiver's 6ch DVD inputs, and just plug that into the outputs of the DR-680 or R-44 when I want to play the recordings back in full surround, sometimes using a couple 'Y' cables to mult' a single recorded surround channel to multiple speakers.  That’s not ideal for long term catalog playback or playback elsewhere, but works fine and is the quickest and simplest way to give a quick listen, or even playback later at home.

Two features lacking on the DR-680 which would be helpful with this is absence of any way of adjusting individual channel output levels and any form of playback EQ on the recorder.  The R-44 is limited to 4 channel playback but has the ability to adjust the output level and EQ of each channel individually if necessary.  The R-44 is also easier to re-load files for surround playback on its SD cards given it's more straight-forward file system.  For that reason I playback my 4 channel surround recordings using the R-44 and my 5 and 6 channel recordings using the DR-680.

The surround receiver does provides global EQ and some level control via its balance control (the individual speaker level setup is bypassed using the direct 6-channel input) which helps.  In addition I sometimes plug an in-line variable attenuator stereo pot between the recorder’s surround channel outputs and the receiver inputs to gain some control over balancing the surround channel playback levels.  But generally I’ve gotten pretty good at getting the recording levels pretty close to what they need to be for balanced playback without too much adjustment.

I’ll be happy to share my experience with 4, 5 & 6 channel surround recording techniques if you’re interested.  Two suggestions I’ll make straight away- The first is to place the surround channel mics in relatively close proximity to the main pair/triplet but orient them so they face away from the sources on stage rather than placing them farther back in the room.  The second is to consider adding a front center channel before adding more than one surround channel if limited to four channels.  One mono surround channel mult’d to multiple surround speakers works surprisingly well for playback immersion, and adding the center is much more beneficial than going directly to stereo surrounds IME.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 12:16:40 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2013, 06:28:40 PM »
That’s similar to what I’ve been doing. I've meant to eventually edit the files and burn discs, but have never gotten around to that part.  I simply plug the 6 direct outs of the 680 into the home-theater receiver for surround playback.  That's much simpler and easier for me than authoring a disc.  Since the mic setups are specificly chosen for multichannel surround, they don't really need any surround mixing done, just some EQ and level adjustment.

There are some free options for authoring non-compressed LPCM DVDs (not-dolby or DTS encoded) I think, but as mentioned I've not tried them.

I have a multichannel RCA cable which I keep connected to one of the receiver's 6ch DVD inputs, and just plug that into the outputs of the DR-680 or R-44 when I want to play the recordings back in full surround, sometimes using a couple 'Y' cables to mult' a single recorded surround channel to multiple speakers.  That’s not ideal for long term catalog playback or playback elsewhere, but works fine and is the quickest and simplest way to give a quick listen, or even playback later at home.

Two features lacking on the DR-680 which would be helpful with this is absence of any way of adjusting individual channel output levels and any form of playback EQ on the recorder.  The R-44 is limited to 4 channel playback but has the ability to adjust the output level and EQ of each channel individually if necessary.  The R-44 is also easier to re-load files for surround playback on its SD cards given it's more straight-forward file system.  For that reason I playback my 4 channel surround recordings using the R-44 and my 5 and 6 channel recordings using the DR-680.

The surround receiver does provides global EQ and some level control via its balance control (the individual speaker level setup is bypassed using the direct 6-channel input) which helps.  In addition I sometimes plug an in-line variable attenuator stereo pot between the recorder’s surround channel outputs and the receiver inputs to gain some control over balancing the surround channel playback levels.  But generally I’ve gotten pretty good at getting the recording levels pretty close to what they need to be for balanced playback without too much adjustment.

I’ll be happy to share my experience with 4, 5 & 6 channel surround recording techniques if you’re interested.  Two suggestions I’ll make straight away- The first is to place the surround channel mics in relatively close proximity to the main pair/triplet but orient them so they face away from the sources on stage rather than placing them farther back in the room.  The second is to consider adding a front center channel before adding more than one surround channel if limited to four channels.  One mono surround channel mult’d to multiple surround speakers works surprisingly well for playback immersion, and adding the center is much more beneficial than going directly to stereo surrounds IME.

Many thanks for your generous offer. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The music director and organist of a church in town seems amenable to my experimenting with recording setups when he's practicing. Your suggestion to point the surround mics away from the source rather than placing them further back has already changed my idea on how to mic him, and I look forward to trying that out. The church itself has wonderful acoustics, and when I tried out a simple binaural recording of a concert into my M10, sitting about midway in the hall, it turned out surprisingly good.

There seems to be a way of exporting a multiple-channel file from Audacity which could presumably be burned to DVD-A, but I haven't figured out yet how you assign the tracks to particular channels.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #189 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:23 PM »
Lets jump this derailment to another track-

Maybe time to revive the old surround live recording thread.  If only to make it pop up in Bob's Show new replies to your posts list again.

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
is there a good quick guide/FAQ out there for this recorder, with stuff like what newer SD cards/ext. batteries work best or dont work at all?

Offline Grosse_j

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2013, 03:20:26 AM »

Many thanks for your generous offer. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The music director and organist of a church in town seems amenable to my experimenting with recording setups when he's practicing. Your suggestion to point the surround mics away from the source rather than placing them further back has already changed my idea on how to mic him, and I look forward to trying that out. The church itself has wonderful acoustics, and when I tried out a simple binaural recording of a concert into my M10, sitting about midway in the hall, it turned out surprisingly good.

There seems to be a way of exporting a multiple-channel file from Audacity which could presumably be burned to DVD-A, but I haven't figured out yet how you assign the tracks to particular channels.

My best experience with organ recording is a four mic setup:
-one set of omnis closer to the organ depending on acoustics abot 5 to 7 meters distance with about 60 cm between the mics
-second set of omnis around 5m behind the first with about 1,2m distance between the mics which is more a room acoustic setup

That fits good for stereo recording mixing both sets with the same level resulting in a very good ambient acustics  sound and even natural organ sound down to the lowest bass.

If you put the second set to  surround back only and the first to front L and R you will have much of the church acoustis in your listening room.

I am not a friend of using a center mic for classical recordings, I prefer the 4 mic setup as the stereo front mics results in a good front image itself.

You may haven impression about the sound of that setup here:

http://www.bachverein-erlangen.de/01cd-einspielungen.html

clicking on the mp3 files  "Hörproben zur CD (flash)" below the Franz Liszt Orgelwerke CD

Best regards
Grosse_j
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:39:41 AM by Grosse_j »

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2013, 12:35:55 PM »
..or we can derail the discussion here and spare Bob.  :P

Thanks for the link, Grosse_j.  I look forward to giving a listen.

Your configuration seems to me an excellent choice for organ recorded in a good reverberant cathedral type acoustic, and although I think that is something of a unique recording scenario, it is of course one of the specific situations dogmuisc asked about and you are obviously an exceptionally well accomplished organ recordist.  My advice to move the surround/room mics closer and make them directional is intended in a more general sense, and though I think it would work well for organ music in a church too, it is primarily directed towards more typical music of a more percussive nature with more sharpely defined transients, performed in less reverberant rooms.  I find it then very quickly becomes important to reduce how much direct sound is picked up by the surround mics, even if that's done by using omnis in back but baffling or boundary mounting them to limit their pickup of the direct sound of the instruments. 

When I started experimenting seriously with surround recording, I assumed I would want more level-difference stereo across the left/right axis and more time-difference across the front/back axis (using mics placed farther back in the room), but I've found I usually want the opposite.  That has lead me to using directional mics for the center and surrounds in an effort to raise the ratio of direct/reverberant sound in the center mic and reduce it in the surrounds, plus omnis spaced a good meter or two apart for Left/Right.  I'll substitute closer spaced directionals for Left/Right to trade off some of that left/center/right time difference for level difference in many cases, but the general principle of valuing some level and some time diffence over large time differences alone in the front/rear axis still applies.

I've found the benefit of the center channel to be substantial for both multi-channel and mixing down to 2-ch stereo, but only if one discards what would otherwise be a good 2-channel stereo main microphone technique and reworks the configuration specifically for three channels.  Most recordists are understandably hesitant to stray from the 2-channel techniques which they know from experience work well, and often try to simply add a center channel microphone to their 2-channel setup, which is a recipie for dissapointment in my experience.

Similar to switching to directional surround mics for material which is less ambient and enveloping than organ in a reverberant church, in which case the surrounds actually sound worse when listened to in islolation since they are way too indirect and reverberant alone, the individual channels or left/right pair of the 3-channel optimized main mic setup will not be as good when listened to on their own, yet the combination of all channels works out better than a "good 2-channel plus extra mics" or "two or more stereo 2-channel setups mixed together approach.

One analogy is re-arranging a composition to suit different sized ensembles.  Generally the more players, the more differentiated and specific each role becomes.  Another is multi-track studio recording- the individual tracks are't optimized to sound best on their own, but rather as individual components that will make up a unified whole once combined.  Yet another is scaling up a business from a one-guy does it all operation (mono) to a simple partnership (2-ch stereo) to a multi-employee operation (multichannel surround).  Each step requries increased specilization of roles- if not, things clash.. except for special cases like organs in churches, where omnis all around are a good choice to suit the gravitas and envelopment of the instrument and a bit more space between mics helps keep them from stepping on each others's toes.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:42:21 PM by Gutbucket »

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2013, 03:18:21 PM »
I tried skimming through all the previous posts in all 5 threads and maybe I missed something, I had a few questions.
how long can a 5400 mah 9v universal DVD battery power 4 mics (akg 481 and naiant AKG actives (ck63)), rough estimate ?
and am I right in that 1 GB = 30 min(approx) of 4 channels at 24/48?
I am trying to get this rig ready for mtn jam and I have 4 weeks to get everything ready!
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2013, 04:32:05 PM »
Not sure how much current the AKGs draw, but I run ~5-6 hrs or so safely a DVD battery with 4-6 phanom powered mics, 2-4 of those via Niant PFAs.  Keep charged or freash AA's in there and you can swap DVD batts when you need to without shutting down.

You are correct on file size. Here's the way I remember it: 24/48 = 1GB/hr/stereo(2-ch)
I then add or subract numbers of channels or hours based on that to estimate the needed card storage space.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com