Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 103603 times)

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2013, 09:05:04 AM »
hm - good point - forgot I use RA connectors too, and that plays a large part in my comfort level.
Wouldn't mind maybe having a better cable though.. maybe I'll send you PM on that.

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2013, 09:17:47 AM »
hm - good point - forgot I use RA connectors too, and that plays a large part in my comfort level.
Wouldn't mind maybe having a better cable though.. maybe I'll send you PM on that.
Sure, like I said, I can do a one off since I have the stuff laying around.  Not looking to become a TS cable maker in the long run ;D

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
Cool thanks - PM sent :)

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • it's recreational
« Reply #213 on: May 16, 2013, 07:58:20 PM »
Press the menu button on top.   Scroll down to REC and select by pressing the knob in, then scroll down to TRACK.  Control the tracks to record or not to record by pressing the corresponding channel button on front.  It's easy.  The hard part is remembering to do this before hitting record, because once it's recording you can't change what channels are recorded.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:09:55 PM by drewloo »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #214 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:17 PM »
Press the menu button on top.   Scroll down to REC and select by pressing the knob in, then scroll down to TRACK.  Control the tracks to record or not to record by pressing the corresponding channel button on front.  It's easy.  The hard part is remembering to do this before hitting record, because once it's recording you can't change what channels are recorded.   

That's the hard way. You can arm or disarm tracks simply by being in pause/rec mode and pressing the channel buttons on the front panel. No need to go into the menu.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2013, 12:02:52 AM »
Yep, as long as the hold switch isn't on (or is on but not set to lock the front panel) you can change which channels are armed while in rec/pause and can so quickly with the channel selection buttons.  Setting it via the menu determines the default setting, so when you power up the machine it will remember and only the channels you've pre-set are automatically armed once you press rec/pause or go straight to record.  Same goes for the stereo channel.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2013, 01:59:32 AM »
Sure.  I'll take it off your hands.  I'll pm you with details.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline davidp158

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »
Gutbucket - I like your "cooler" recording rig. I just bought a DR-680 and want to find a battery solution for using it. Can you describe the "DVD" batteries you use? What brand/model/specs...? I've searched for info on these, but I read conflicting info about the DR-680 being finicky about external battery power problems. I just want to make sure I don't fry my DR-680.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

PHOTO'S Appreciated...mine will arrive Thursday and I plan on taking it out Friday!

Couldn't find a photo of the V3 under the 680, but here's an R44 under it in the same bag.  In this photo, the 680 is positioned closer to the top so I can access the top of both recorders.  With the V3 in the place of the R44 there is a lot more room on top.  As you can make out I tuck under the front flap of the snug Tascam case that normally covers the front, conveniently it velcros directly to the side velcro on the underside of the top flap that would normally attach to the sides, making it easy to 'lift the lid' and reach under with no velcro-rippage.  The clear plastic cover still protects the front face, so the only time I unfold the front cover and use it like it is actually designed to work is when I'm carrying the recorder around by itself for playback outside the big recording bag.  Don't know if the new ones comes with the snug cover included, it was a free accessory from B&H when the unit was selling for a couple hundred more.

DR-680 & R44 clock linked for 10 channels. Seperate DVD battery for each (one of which runs the V3 when it's in there)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #218 on: May 21, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
Hi Dave,

What many of us around here refer to as 'DVD' batteries are not as common or as inexpensive as they once were.  They are 9VDC output / 12VDC input LiIon batteries with an internal charger controller and state of charge meter which were originally marketed for powering small portable DVD players.  They've been sold under various brand names, none of which I can remember at the moment.  Um, I think one common brand name is Initial.

I think they can still be found, but aren't as cost effective as they once were in comparison to other batteries.  They are quite convenient though.  I think I saw new ones for sale at the local Battery Plus store last time I was in there.

If you do a search on TS for 'DVD battery' I'm you are sure to will turn up loads of information on them.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline davidp158

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #219 on: May 23, 2013, 03:04:50 AM »
Gutbucket - Thanks for the reply! Do all these "DVD" batteries work safely with the DR-680? Are there specs I should be looking for?

You mention that the DVD batteries aren't as cost effective as other batteries, so do you recommend something else?
I've read about professional battery distribution systems, but they are a bit overkill for my use and limited budget.

cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave,

What many of us around here refer to as 'DVD' batteries are not as common or as inexpensive as they once were.  They are 9VDC output / 12VDC input LiIon batteries with an internal charger controller and state of charge meter which were originally marketed for powering small portable DVD players.  They've been sold under various brand names, none of which I can remember at the moment.  Um, I think one common brand name is Initial.

I think they can still be found, but aren't as cost effective as they once were in comparison to other batteries.  They are quite convenient though.  I think I saw new ones for sale at the local Battery Plus store last time I was in there.

If you do a search on TS for 'DVD battery' I'm you are sure to will turn up loads of information on them.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #220 on: May 23, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
Some 'DVD' batteries are 6V I think, those won't work. 

Other batteries work, and there has been plenty of discussion about them.  I don't know which to recommend as I just use the 9V DVD batteries I already have.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #221 on: May 23, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »

You mention that the DVD batteries aren't as cost effective as other batteries, so do you recommend something else?

To power my used DR680 I bought an ANKER Astro3:

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-10000mAh-Portable-Thunderbolt-Incredible/dp/B005NGKR54/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1369314821&sr=8-3&keywords=anker+external+battery

For a test, I ran it 4-channel with two stereo mics, both with phantom power, and I got just under six hours on 12V. (I had removed the AA's.)

I'm not sure if this is a great result. Probably the DVD batteries run longer.

"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

kirk97132

« Reply #222 on: May 23, 2013, 11:41:40 AM »
I dunno exactly, but as a point of reference, the referb DVD battery I tested (about 10,000mAh) ran a V3 for over 11 hours.  If you looked up draw of the 680 and V3 you might get some idea.  A new 6000mAh DVD battery should give you 60% which would put you at about 6.6 hrs run time if there two draws are close.  So the Ankar looks like it is rated 10,000 mAh at a lower voltage maybe 5v or 3.7v. 

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #223 on: May 23, 2013, 10:50:39 PM »
I dunno exactly, but as a point of reference, the referb DVD battery I tested (about 10,000mAh) ran a V3 for over 11 hours.  If you looked up draw of the 680 and V3 you might get some idea.  A new 6000mAh DVD battery should give you 60% which would put you at about 6.6 hrs run time if there two draws are close.  So the Ankar looks like it is rated 10,000 mAh at a lower voltage maybe 5v or 3.7v.

Thanks for that info. I guess the Anker is not the best solution for a long run time.

Are all the DVD batteries 9v? My DR680 was bought second hand without a warranty, so I was worried about using anything but the 12v that Tascam recommended.

An added plus for the Anker is that its USB 5v output will also power my USBPre2.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

kirk97132

« Reply #224 on: May 24, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
if you run the pre-2 and the 680 it will be a much shorter run time on the battery.  as for the 680 battery, a lot of us, myself included use the 9volt DVD.  There are a handful of 6 volt versions out there but in my experience you actually have to look for them.  The V2,V3 guys seem to snatch them up.  The only battery that has "seemed"  to be an issue with the 680 is the Tekkeon auto voltage sensing.  Dunno the model # off the top of my head.  Depending on what you want to spend there are some newer 9 & 12 volt options.  Or you could always try an ISO in the YS for a DVD battery.  I do believe that if you go over 12 volt you stand the chance of causing problems to your 680. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com