Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5  (Read 103599 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #5
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2013, 12:54:45 PM »
if you run the pre-2 and the 680 it will be a much shorter run time on the battery. 

For sure it will. I just meant that the Anker can also get use as a power source for the Pre2 because of its USB output.

Thanks again for all that other info. I'll have a look around for a 9v DVD battery. Since I usually don't need much more than 6 hours run time, the more expensive 12v options are not as attractive as the cheaper Anker.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
If I'm running SBD in on channels 5/6 analog how do I send those to the Digi coax out so I can send a digital signal to another deck??  TIA
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #227 on: June 12, 2013, 02:35:04 PM »
If I'm running SBD in on channels 5/6 analog how do I send those to the Digi coax out so I can send a digital signal to another deck??  TIA

You just put only those two channels into the mix.  Pan 5 hard left, 6 hard right, both at 100%, the other channels at 0%.  I can show you how to do it.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #228 on: June 12, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
Can you do that if you have the mix set to DIN to have 7/8 digi stereo track?? 

You just put only those two channels into the mix.  Pan 5 hard left, 6 hard right, both at 100%, the other channels at 0%.  I can show you how to do it.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:42:17 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline achalsey

« Reply #229 on: June 12, 2013, 05:22:50 PM »
Oooh, I forgot about that.  I'm not sure.  Anyone else have an answer for that?

I've never used the digi in, but the digital out I think will just be whatever mix you are sending out.  I don't think it matters what the digital input is, but I will need someone else to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

If you have the stereo record to DIN, the digital input will record to the "stereo mix" which is track 7/8 correct?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #230 on: June 12, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »

You'll also need to check that the stereo channel mix level is also set to 100%, in addition to ch's 5 & 6.  But you’ll want all other channels set to 0%, unless you want them mixed into the S/PDIF out stream as well.

According to the block diagram in the manual:

While in multi-track recording mode, the S/PDIF output is always connected directly to the stereo mix bus.

The ST REC switch routes the S/PDIF input either directly to the SD card (DIN) or to the stereo mix bus. So it appears one can mix all six analog inputs and the S/PDIF input to the stereo bus if desired.

DIN REC MONITOR switches the headphone output between the S/PDIF input or the mix bus.  It doesn’t appear to touch the S/PDIF output.

If you have the stereo record to DIN, the digital input will record to the "stereo mix" which is track 7/8 correct?

Correct
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #231 on: June 12, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »
I didn't realize there was an internal mix function....I thought all mono tracks like the Sound devices  recorders with the exceltio
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #232 on: June 12, 2013, 07:31:26 PM »
I didn't realize there was an internal mix function..

One thing it can't do which I'd like is internally mix the stereo channel with the other six channels on playback.  You can record all 8 channels but can only playback 6 OR the stereo channel.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2013, 03:01:24 PM »
I didn't realize there was an internal mix function..

One thing it can't do which I'd like is internally mix the stereo channel with the other six channels on playback.  You can record all 8 channels but can only playback 6 OR the stereo channel.
Ad you can't do a mix while recording and send it to a specific output.

Offline achalsey

« Reply #234 on: June 14, 2013, 12:24:39 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on using a UA-5 for the digital input?  What about a Denecke ad-20?

I'm looking for an a/d that will be compatible with the 680 and unfortunately do not have much to spend.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #235 on: June 14, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on using a UA-5 for the digital input? 

I've used a BMP2+ UA-5 with my DR-680 when I need the extra two channels.
It works fine. I can't remember how I do it off the top of my head. I have a cheat sheet I carry in my gear bag me that details the procedure when I need to do that.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline achalsey

« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2013, 12:50:07 PM »

It works fine. I can't remember how I do it off the top of my head. I have a cheat sheet I carry in my gear bag me that details the procedure when I need to do that.

Cool, thanks.  I'm on the fence since its so old, but would really like an reasonably priced a/d, and with a pre included, I'm tempted.  It does output 24 bit right?  I guess I'll search the around for the answer, since this is off topic, but wasn't there some confusion on this point in the past?

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:57 PM »

Cool, thanks.  I'm on the fence since its so old, but would really like an reasonably priced a/d, and with a pre included, I'm tempted.  It does output 24 bit right?  I guess I'll search the around for the answer, since this is off topic, but wasn't there some confusion on this point in the past?

I don't use the UA-5 for 24bit, but it will output 24bit audio.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2013, 12:58:30 PM »
Anyone have an opinion on using a UA-5 for the digital input?  What about a Denecke ad-20?

I'm looking for an a/d that will be compatible with the 680 and unfortunately do not have much to spend.

not 24 bit
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline achalsey

« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »

not 24 bit

Ah, thanks.  Well thats out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com