Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 + ECM-719 + Metal concert  (Read 5346 times)

Offline Justinovitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sony PCM-M10 + ECM-719 + Metal concert
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
Hey guys,

I have sold my Zoom H2N and got myself a PCM-M10. I will record my first show tomorrow and it will be a loud metal concert. I will be standing in the crowd about halfway from the stage ( 1000 seater hall ). I want to use my Sony ECM-719 external mic and clip it on my shirt and put the M10 in my pocket. Any tips on settings? Low cut yes / no, gain settings etc. The band is Cradle of Filth, so it's gonna get really loud :D

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Sony PCM-M10 + ECM-719 + Metal concert
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 11:13:45 AM »
I don't know about the PCM-M10 settings, but put a battery into your ECM-719 and use the "line-in" of the recorder.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
Low cut off
Try the rec volume at 5 and go from there, not familiar with the microphone at all, but the higher up it is the better sound you will get from it.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline emcdos

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
I don't know about the PCM-M10 settings, but put a battery into your ECM-719 and use the "line-in" of the recorder.

I think the ECM-719 has its own battery (button type) inside, so it wound´t be essential to connect it to another one... (I have ran the ECM-717 which I think is similar in this regard).... "line-in" and 24 bits would be very recommended indeed, and try not to be too much close to the stage... I´d go for a stack recording (my ECM-717 never satisficed me in dead center or so), starting around 15 metres from the stack, and after incresing/decreasing the distance depending on the SPL... good luck and happy taping!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 12:49:08 PM by emcdos »

Offline Justinovitch

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »

I think the ECM-719 has its own battery (button type) inside, so it wound´t be essential to connect it to another one... (I have ran the ECM-717 which I think is similar in this regard).... "line-in" and 24 bits would be very recommended indeed, and try not to be too much close to the stage... I´d go for a stack recording (my ECM-717 never satisficed me in dead center or so), starting around 15 metres from the stack, and after incresing/decreasing the distance depending on the SPL... good luck and happy taping!
I can power my mic using the M10 but yes, I can insert a battery in the mic ( LR44 ). Is that better? Thanks in advance and thanks for the advice so far guys :)

Offline emcdos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
If you go Line-in, I think you can´t power the mic with just only the M10, ...the plug-in-power would work going through Mic-in... not sure what could be technically better, but in the doubt and considering it´s a metal concert, I´d go for Line-in + LR44 battery...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:21:22 PM by emcdos »

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:07 PM »
When I was using a minidisk and an ECM-717 I always found that going mic-in and powering the mic from the deck led to distortion. Putting a cell in the mic and going line-in was fine.

Not sure if the difference was due to the higher sensitivity of the mic input or because the mic was insufficiently powered but if I was taping a loud gig I'd definitely go the safe route and use the line-in.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline Justinovitch

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
Got it.

To recap, put in a LR44 battery and go Line-in, switch the mic to the '' music '' setting, no low cut and rec volume at 5? Thanks a bunch :) I will post something when I'm back tomorrow for those interested ;)

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »
Got it.

To recap, put in a LR44 battery and go Line-in, switch the mic to the '' music '' setting, no low cut and rec volume at 5? Thanks a bunch :) I will post something when I'm back tomorrow for those interested ;)

Best of luck :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline emcdos

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »
Got it.

...in a metal concert, be careful with the rec volume at 5 at the knob.. I think it could be a lot depending on the SPL and the distance from the PA... I would start at 3 at the knob and after had started the concert would play with the rec level (knob), trying to keep the bars on the screen at -12db or so... I would go conservative under this circuntances....

Offline Justinovitch

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 01:04:00 PM »
Hey guys!

The gig was great, a real shame I had to miss half of it though ( bands were delayed and I had to leave to catch my last train of the night :( ). I recorded all of the songs I saw and I am pretty pleased with the result. The keyboards  were pretty low in the mix and I used the following settings: Line-in for the ECM-719, switched it to the music setting, low cut off and rec level 5, like you guys told me. Here is one of the songs I recorded ( yes , Youtube is a crappy way to show it )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irlzi9J2aig

HOWEVER, considering it is my first recording, a few things I noticed.

I had to increase the volume bigtime with the audio editing program my M10 came with ( didn't mind that much though ). I can hear some audience noise here and there ( on other recorded songs ) , something to do with the recording / gain settings? And I recorded one song while holding my phone near the mic which caused annoying static on my recording, but that was my own fault :P ( I had to check my train schedule ).

The band was really loud and I accidentaly recorded some of the warm-up band with the internal mics and they were distorted beyond belief, so the external mic was a good choice ;P

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 06:04:34 PM »
Interesting band.....

Your mic did a surprisingly good just with the spoken intro, but once the music starts it leaves a whole lot to be desired and I'm really not super particular (a good recording in Mini-Disc SP mode sounds great to  me). That's assuming the concert sounded good in the venue. I've recorded shows with CA-14's that were so loud at the venue that the sound system was distorting and of course the recording can't be better than the sound at the venue.

You invested a lot in your recorder, living in Europe. When you have the money I highly recommend getting a battery box and Church Audio CA-14's. You'll notice a clearly audibly improvement in your recordings. Or if you don't want to deal with a battery box you could try the slightly lesser quality (but still great) CA-11's straight into the mic input.  Chris Church doesn't recommend it , but many members here say CA-11's or AT-853's work great straight into an M10.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com