Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Noise during playback of Vinyl Picture Discs!  (Read 8488 times)

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
Noise during playback of Vinyl Picture Discs!
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:09:41 AM »
Hey!

Another try to find out why both of my newest bought picture-discs sound awful at playback.

Noise can only be heard when I play these picture discs (Iron Maiden - Number of the beast + R.A.T.M first album).

Listen to the sample and help me explain what it wrong... please  ???

http://snd.sc/11ihE1u

Jonas, Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: Noise during playback of Vinyl Picture Discs!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
Picture discs are well known for having inferior sound due to the vinyl used, but in this case I think your tracking is off. It sounds like the needle is rubbing inside the groove, and the sound is repeated over and over, so I'd carefully check needle and cartridge alignment. See if this helps: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/ttadjust.html
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
I recently scored a brand new picture disc from the 90's (still sealed when I got it). I was excited to score this record in "mint" condition. First play was AWFUL. As as bad as some of the 45's from my childhood that I stored on the floor!

I did put the disc through a good cleaning and that helped a little bit but it still sounds like crap.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »
Of course picture discs sound crap. No need te be an expert to figure out why...
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:22:22 AM »
Well, welcome to the turntable world of the past.
I've listen to this sample as well as your previous sample.
How many gram weight?  Many lighten a bit, and/or try remounting stylus.
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:57:30 AM »
Of course picture discs sound crap. No need te be an expert to figure out why...

So please enlighten me, cause I've got no idea - but would very much like to learn why...

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »

I will return my picture discs, too bad the very first R.A.T.M release only came remestered (20th anniversary) as CD or picturedisc LP... It sounds awesome except for the noise!

I think I got it right when I mounted my recordplayer - but I really had no clue what I did. Just tried to follow the instructions in english (which sometimes can be hard for a Swede)  :'(

Think I'd better try to redo it again. Really had no idea what I was doing with the counterweight etc and I defenitely have no scale to measure the exact right weight etc...

/Jonas

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »
Picture discs use an inferior vinyl and aside from cost, I dont think you can get the high quality mix with the method required for a picture to be onthe vinyl. It is not virgin vinyl which plays more smoothly. That is my very unscientific explanation as I was told when I bough my first picture disc in 1972. That said, I don't think your issue is so much the record as how your cartridge is seated in the tonearm. However if you are not experiencing this issue on any other records then logic would dictate I am wrong. Picture discs are really just collectables (not necessarily valuable collectables, but manufactured for that purpose) and are not designed with playing them in mind as they were made to be seen not so much heard. So I'd keep it if it had meaning to me but I'd return it if the music is your only end result.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 01:16:18 PM »
^^ Funny, I have a rerelease of an old Damned album on picture disc (I think their 3rd record, but if not, their 1st) and it actually sounds fine. Only picture disc I own, though. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 01:56:17 PM »

So please enlighten me, cause I've got no idea - but would very much like to learn why...

The picture on the picture disc is not printed on the vinyl. It's printed on paper. Over that paper print comes a very thin transparant layer of clear vinyl on wich the music is pressed. So a picture disc is a paper print sandwiched between two clear vinyls. Basically the quality of the vinyl used for a picture disc is inferiour because it's thinner. The depth of the groove is different compared to normal vinyl. When regular vinyl is being produced the sound is the most important thing. Picture discs are primarily produced for their looks.

I thought this was common knowledge....
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
    • the wendy hour
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 03:41:48 PM »
oh yeah..my mudhoney egbdf picture disc sounds horrible too. 

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 04:28:48 PM »

The picture on the picture disc is not printed on the vinyl. It's printed on paper. Over that paper print comes a very thin transparant layer of clear vinyl on wich the music is pressed. So a picture disc is a paper print sandwiched between two clear vinyls. Basically the quality of the vinyl used for a picture disc is inferiour because it's thinner. The depth of the groove is different compared to normal vinyl. When regular vinyl is being produced the sound is the most important thing. Picture discs are primarily produced for their looks.

I thought this was common knowledge....

Well it is now  ;)

Pretty sad that RATM did not release this remaster on a regular vinyl (perhaps they will do later on?, but I'll return both of the albums.

I did, however, set the weight on the needle a bit lower which made the needle absolutely straight when playing the records. It was a bit heavy before, making the needle turn a little to the left while playing.

Offline nardo

• Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
I will return my picture discs, too bad the very first R.A.T.M release only came remestered (20th anniversary) as CD or picturedisc LP... It sounds awesome except for the noise!
I'm not sure why you think that about the RATM album. I bought the deluxe box and my LP is 180g black vinyl. You can also  buy the 180g vinyl with a 2012 release date online at e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rage-Against-Machine-20th-Vinyl/dp/B009XSVXT2/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1354375303&sr=1-2.

Offline thunderbolt

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Music est vita!
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »
I'd just echo what's been said.  Oftentimes it's poor grade vinyl coupled with a lot of debris on the surface.  After accumulating several thousand records, I bit the bullet and bought a VPI vacuum record cleaning machine.  There are manual alternatives for about $100.  If you have a lot of records, it may be worth the investment.  I've bought thousands of dirty records and they all benefitted from a good cleaning.

Offline Jonas Karlsson

• Taperssection Member
  • Taper since 1992
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
I'm not sure why you think that about the RATM album. I bought the deluxe box and my LP is 180g black vinyl. You can also  buy the 180g vinyl with a 2012 release date online at e.g. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rage-Against-Machine-20th-Vinyl/dp/B009XSVXT2/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1354375303&sr=1-2.

I not only think, that's all we can order from Swedish shops right now... We only have a vinyl that was released in 2010. Perhaps I should order it from amazon instead, we'll see. It sounded great with the remaster - except for the noise coming from a bad picture disc. Perhaps I'll get my copy from a recordstore in town instead...

/Jonas

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.146 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com