Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: repairing core sounds..  (Read 2707 times)

Offline toaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
repairing core sounds..
« on: December 23, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
I have a pair of CSBs that ive had for over a decade that have also been broken for a few years.  Ive narrowed the problem to something with the cable going into the right mic.   If i fiddle with the cable i can get it to work if held in the correct spot.  My friend had an issue similar with his and his old coworker fixed it by resoldering or doing something with where the cable connects to the one mic. Unfortunately he has lost contact with that individual so he doesnt have the ability to ask them.

Looking at the mic its not blatantly obvious to me how to get to the connection inside the capsule. Im not overly worried about tinkering with it since i have other mics to use and these have just been on a shelf for awhile now.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
Re: repairing core sounds..
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
If you fiddle with the cable in which point? Besides the proper mic or besides the minijack connector?
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline toaster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
Oops. Fiddling with the cable where it enters the capsule makes it work again
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:34:46 PM by toaster »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 07:40:37 PM »
Unless there's enough cable left to perform a splice (which at the capsule entry point is unlikely because the short is probably at or inside the housing) the existing capsules are basically non-repairable. Best bet is to chop them off and have some replace them with a pair of linkwitz modified panasonics. I'm not even going to comment on sending them back to the manufacturer.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 07:42:18 PM by hi and lo »

Offline toaster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
I'm not even going to comment on sending them back to the manufacturer.  ::)

Ya I've gone that route before and didn't want to do that again...

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
Put on an ISO in the yard sale, a decent pair of CSB's may pop up cheaper that getting those repaired.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

adrianf74

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »
I know you got 'em working again (for now) but I'd seriously look at Church Audio CA-11 or CA-14's.  Assuming these are the regular binaurals (and not the DPA HEB's), the CA mics are better sounding, cheaper, and easier to deal with.

Just my $0.02.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »
I know you got 'em working again (for now) but I'd seriously look at Church Audio CA-11 or CA-14's.  Assuming these are the regular binaurals (and not the DPA HEB's), the CA mics are better sounding, cheaper, and easier to deal with.

Just my $0.02.

Agreed! I'm not a fan of Coresound, to say the least. Len has to lock his retail space sale ads because before he did so they drew too many negative comments. Church Audio gives tremendous bang for the buck.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

adrianf74

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 10:14:48 AM »
Agreed! I'm not a fan of Coresound, to say the least. Len has to lock his retail space sale ads because before he did so they drew too many negative comments. Church Audio gives tremendous bang for the buck.

I've dealt with Len in the '90s but the fact that he locks his retail space ads speaks volumes.  I know Chris' product is great (I've owned CAFS, UBB's, a 9100, CA-14's, and the orignal Ugly Preamp) and the build quality/value for the dollar is definitely there, however, build times in the past have suffered but I do know he's working to better this.   That and at least he allows people to speak their minds without censoring them/locking threads.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 10:25:07 AM »
I've dealt with Len in the '90s but the fact that he locks his retail space ads speaks volumes.  I know Chris' product is great (I've owned CAFS, UBB's, a 9100, CA-14's, and the orignal Ugly Preamp) and the build quality/value for the dollar is definitely there, however, build times in the past have suffered but I do know he's working to better this.   That and at least he allows people to speak their minds without censoring them/locking threads.

I've not confident that build times will decrease much, but as a regular reader of taperssection, I expect that shipment will take a long time when I order and consider it a more than acceptable trade off for the value you get when buying his products. He could charge 50% more for his products and still get buyers. The wait time would surely go down substantially if he did that, but I'd rather wait and get the super bargain price.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

adrianf74

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
I've not confident that build times will decrease much, but as a regular reader of taperssection, I expect that shipment will take a long time when I order and consider it a more than acceptable trade off for the value you get when buying his products. He could charge 50% more for his products and still get buyers. The wait time would surely go down substantially if he did that, but I'd rather wait and get the super bargain price.

I know he raised his prices "a little bit" a few months back and this has helped considerably with build times.   He's selling product now that he's saying will ship within a month.  I know April - July is always "hell" for him because of the taping season ramping up.  I placed an order just yesterday and was told I should receive my goods in about 30 days time which is fine with me (I'm out of the game until spring, anyhow).

Regardless, as you say, I'm not worried about 'waiting' for an excellent product.   The only card mic I like better than the CA-14 (in that price range) is the AT-853 (which is why I own 'em); for omnis, the CA-14 _SMOKES_ the Core Sound Binaurals and holds its own against the 406x and B3.   I've owned all three and the CA-14 omni is untouchable for the price Chris charges (my B3's cost me 3.5x times what the CA-14's did and they're not 3.5x better -- just smaller).

Offline toaster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »

Just my $0.02.

these arent working again. i can fiddle with the cable where it enters the right mic and get it to work if i hold it in place, but otherwise that mic is non-working. I currently use my MBHO ka200n > Tinybox setup for low-profile so im not in the market for new mics.  i was just trying to fix these myself if anyone had experienced a similar problem and had tried working on them...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com