Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Small portable with RCA digital input  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Small portable with RCA digital input
« on: December 25, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
It's been some time that I don't follow this forum.

So I would be grateful if someone could tell me if any of the small portables around carries a coaxial digital input, usually RCA, so I can hook it to a satellite decoder or similar.

I already have a Tascam DR-07, so I wonder if another of their smaller models or Roland's can handle such signals. It would save me at least two coding/decoding stages on my recordings.

Thanks.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Small portable with RCA digital input
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
It's been some time that I don't follow this forum.

So I would be grateful if someone could tell me if any of the small portables around carries a coaxial digital input, usually RCA, so I can hook it to a satellite decoder or similar.

I already have a Tascam DR-07, so I wonder if another of their smaller models or Roland's can handle such signals. It would save me at least two coding/decoding stages on my recordings.

Thanks.

Marantz PMD661 fills the bill. If you want to record music channels, I hope the sound you get is much better than that provided by my Comcast cable. It's horribly compressed and sounds awful. I certainly wouldn't invest in a recorder just to record it digitally.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »
Also the tascam dr-100mkii
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:34:46 PM »
This looks like as good a place as any to post this.

A while back I was thinking about what part of the board on the pmd661 gets the coax in jack, and what it would take to modify a pmd620 to have that digital in. I've opened both up and had a look inside, but it's not a job I could do. The 661 has a lot more connections and the 620 has 2: mic, which accepts phantom power and line, which doesn't.

Does anyone know what would be necessary to modify the 620 to collect its info from a coax digital in? 
It wouldn't have to do anything but pull in a signal at 24/48 or less, since that's all the unit can do, but it's a tiny, lightweight simple piece of equipment and the simplest one I could think of.
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 06:18:43 PM »
There are only 3 on the market:- Marantz 661 (S-PDIF on phono connector), Tascam DR100-II (S-PDIF on special mini-jack) & Sony PCM-D50 (S-PDIF on optical input).

And that's all.

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »
There are only 3 on the market:- Marantz 661 (S-PDIF on phono connector), Tascam DR100-II (S-PDIF on special mini-jack) & Sony PCM-D50 (S-PDIF on optical input).

And that's all.
It is worth noting that on the Tascam DR100MKII, the special mini jack goes into an RCA cable which fits the question being posed here. Also a used MT2496 would work as it too was S/PDIF via RCA cable.

I also haveto agree, the quality of satellite music is such that you could record analog and I cannot imagine it would be noticably different than the digital copy as the sound quality is just not high end.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:14:50 PM »
What I intended to record with this unit were live shows, not satellite music, which is certainly quite compressed and lifeless.

Even if these shows are aired by satellite, they do not sound nondynamic or compressed.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com