Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Nagra SD works for me?  (Read 7054 times)

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
The Nagra SD works for me?
« on: January 03, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »
Hi,

After a long absence, I'm back. Well, I have read enough about the Nagra SD recorder and I confess that I am confused. While voices that I really respect (John Willett) say it is an exceptional, stellar machine, others say that it lacks this, lacks that and so on. They claim, in short, that this is an awesome device for reporters, radio broadcast etc. I'm basically a stealth taper. My plans were to use the Nagra SD as an upgrade for my Edirol ( + bb + small mics) to record blues, blues-rock live music. The question: the Nagra SD will accomplish this task? Thanks in advence,
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
Re: The Nagra SD works for me?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
Welcome back!

The Nagra decks have a great reputation, and I wonder what features "others" say the deck lacks? Is it anything that would prevent you from getting a great recording in the  >:D mode you record in? I have been coveting the Nagra Lino, but really do not need another deck but still it is tempting... I have not used a Nagra deck so in that way am not qualified to say for sure, but again their reputation is stellar and those that do handle them like John are very positive about the experience. For me in "low pro" situations, I think most decks can get you a great recording with some obvious basics so for me, much of it comes down to ergonomics. I like to use a phone like case strapped to my belt with mics in croakies on my head. As a result I like decks with the mic jack on the top like the Roland R-05 and the Tascam Dr2d. I think the Nagra Lino has it on top too, so one more reason I'd consider it.

I am sure you will get a lot of recommendations for decks that you are not asking about, like the Sony M-10, but again unless there is a feature missing on the Nagra SD that you feel you need, or if the ergonomics run contrary to how you want to set up, or if it is out of your budget, I cannot see any reason to hold back from owning the deck. Good luck!
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
Welcome back!

The Nagra decks have a great reputation, and I wonder what features "others" say the deck lacks? Is it anything that would prevent you from getting a great recording in the  >:D mode you record in? I have been coveting the Nagra Lino, but really do not need another deck but still it is tempting... I have not used a Nagra deck so in that way am not qualified to say for sure, but again their reputation is stellar and those that do handle them like John are very positive about the experience. For me in "low pro" situations, I think most decks can get you a great recording with some obvious basics so for me, much of it comes down to ergonomics. I like to use a phone like case strapped to my belt with mics in croakies on my head. As a result I like decks with the mic jack on the top like the Roland R-05 and the Tascam Dr2d. I think the Nagra Lino has it on top too, so one more reason I'd consider it.

I am sure you will get a lot of recommendations for decks that you are not asking about, like the Sony M-10, but again unless there is a feature missing on the Nagra SD that you feel you need, or if the ergonomics run contrary to how you want to set up, or if it is out of your budget, I cannot see any reason to hold back from owning the deck. Good luck!

Hey, thanks for the kind welcome.
Theoretically, I guess there is nothing that prevents me from getting excelent recordings with the Nagra SD despite what others may say it lacks. I do not need in Digital In or other more sophisticated features. Furthermore, the Nagra brand speaks for itself. My curiosity is to know why a good number of people claim that this is a device aimed, firstly, to reporters and radio professionals. From the standpoint of ergonomics, the Nagra SD is identical to my R-09, with the Line In located on the top of the unit. Anyway, that's why I'm asking if the Nagra SD would represent a substantial increase in sound quality and/or capability compared to my R-09-HR.
Thanks a lot for your help, friend!

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »
It sounds  to me like you are recording PA systems using inexpensive clip on mics. Is that right? [EDIT TO ADD: Yes, you are]

A Nagra recorder is no doubt superior to a Sony M10, Edirol, Tascam, etc.  But given your mics and situation, will that superiority matter?  I'd say probably not.

Much like the difference between a Sound Devices or Nagra large size recorder and running an outboard preamp and smaller recorder, absolutely, the SD and Nagra boxes are superior and offer compelling features like (a) better reliability, (b) better durability, (c) quieter stock preamps (depending what outboard preamp you are running, of course).  But unless you just really like the sound of their onboard pres, even if you're recording with DPAs or Schoeps, I'm not sure they're really worth it, strictly speaking, for recording PA systems with the gear you have. 

In your particular case, where we're talking about stealth recording with the gear you have, I think that's even more the case.  The Nagra is much better than a Sony M10 (for example) in theory but the M10 is also reliable, sounds pretty good, and is hundreds of Euros cheaper (and I think it's smaller). 

It'd help to know what mics you're running, but if you are not currently running superpremium mics, I'd invest in that long before I'd blow money on a big name for a standard 2-channel non-P48 recorder.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 04:15:27 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
I would buy a Sony M10 and save the rest of the money for tickets to shows...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »
It'd help to know what mics you're running, but if you are not currently running superpremium mics, I'd invest in that long before I'd blow money on a big name for a standard 2-channel non-P48 recorder.

I'd be shocked if you could hear any improvement in your recordings if you stepped up to the Nagra. Your Edirols will handle your mics fine. The tiny mics you already have are quite good, but if you want a chance to hear any improvement in your recordings, IMHO you would need to step up to considerably better mics before you think about spending a lot more for a recorder.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:59:22 PM »
Many thanks to all of you who were kind enough to reply.
Well, what you guys just said sort of confirms what I thought before: my recording equipment will be as good as it's weakest component.  ;)
Not that my microphones are bad or something. They are good little mics. But they would be the logical change/upgrade to be made at this point.
Anyway, I got lots of interesting answers and once again thank you all.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 11:22:40 PM »

Terry

Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 06:21:13 AM »

Terry

;D Haha, that's funny for sure. But I already did several tests comparing my R-09-HR and a M10 from a friend and there is no possibility of exchanging one for the other.
It would be, as we say around here, changing six per half-dozen, to say the least. Take care!

Online jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »
Not exactly the same!!  The M10 has much better battery life than the R09HR and no digi noise when adjusting the gain.

Terry

;D Haha, that's funny for sure. But I already did several tests comparing my R-09-HR and a M10 from a friend and there is no possibility of exchanging one for the other.
It would be, as we say around here, changing six per half-dozen, to say the least. Take care!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:20 AM »
Just wanted to say welcome back, they all come back.  I have said it before once you into this hobby you never reallly leave.  You just take a hiatus...but you always come back.  I was introduced to a bluegrass taper who is 84 years old!!! and has been doing it since the 60's!

for the money you spend on the nagra machine you are better off getting the pcm-10 or the R09HR or R09.  You can't go wrong with either machine.  like others have said there are strengths and weakness for each but all very capable.

OOK
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:11:33 AM by OOK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 07:11:50 AM »
Just wanted to say welcome back, they all come back.  I have said it before once you into this hobby you never reallly leave.  You just take a hiatus...but you always come back.  I was introduced to a bluegrass taper who is 84 years old!!! and has been doing it since the 60's!

OOK

Hey, man, thanks a lot! Very kind of you!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:39 AM »
Not exactly the same!!  The M10 has much better battery life than the R09HR and no digi noise when adjusting the gain.

Hi,

Well, we could go on endlessly comparing pros and cons of the two models, right? But remember, what could be considered great for me can be seen as a problem for you. OK, if the Sony has more battery life, the R09-HR has better performance in other areas. See, I never tape concerts with over 3 hours long and never, under any circumstances, change my recording levels in the middle of a song, so digi  noise has never been (or will be) a problem for me. What I mean to say is, if the sound quality improvement I seek will not be achieved by changing my recorder for a Nagra, imagine for a Sony M10.

Take care and thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com