Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R44 monitor mix question  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Ekko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
R44 monitor mix question
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
Hi -- I'm interested in the R44. I read somewhere that in playing back a group of recorded tracks it is not possible to mix the volume levels of the tracks -- for that you would need to send the outputs to a mixer. Is this correct?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
Re: R44 monitor mix question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
You can adjust the output level of each channel individualy.  The level adjustment applies to both the RCA outputs and the headphone jack.

You cannot change the stereo bus mix channel panning. Channels 1 & 3 are always hard-panned left, channels 2 & 4 are always hard-panned right. If you want any other panning (except a mono, see below) you will need an outboard mixer.

You can output to the RCA jacks as either individual discrete channel outputs (unmixed) or as a left/right hard-panned 2 channel mix.  In addition, you can use the headphone jack as a seperate independant output, and select from a mono mix of all 4 channels or the same hard-panned stereo mix as is sent to the RCA outputs (other 'non-mixed' headphone output monitor options are: mono solo output of any individual channel, stereo pair solo of either inputs 1/2 or 3/4, and mute).

The limitation is the panning, not the channel output levels.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »
The Tascam DR-680 has a more extensive monitor mixer which allows full panning as well as channel level control.  It can also record a seperate stereo mix file of the 6 analog inputs (while recording only, not afterwards).  The one feature it lacks in this area compared to the R-44 is any ability to control output levels of its individual discrete channel outputs.  It can only control output level (and panning) if they are sent to the stereo mix buss.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:01:31 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ekko

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
Thanks very much for your replies!

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 05:02:28 PM »
Glad to help.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 04:44:37 AM »
I commissioned a custom monitor mixer from Naiant which sits under the R44.  See http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=111151.0 for details.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:08 AM »
Ozpeter was one of the R-44 pioneers around here and was the first to explore the monitoring issues in depth.  He was the first one who came to mind when I saw this thread and covers it all really well in that thread.

Not clear in my description above is that independant control of channel output levels on the machine is possible on playback only, not while recording.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 08:58:23 PM »
Sadly I'm pretty much retired from the audio scene these days - but no, I'm not selling the Naiant mixer!  (Nor the R44 - probably I will ask for that to be tucked into my coffin when the day comes - no suggestion that it will be imminent!).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com