Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: How to compress a prominent kick drum in SBD recording, eh?  (Read 2799 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
How to compress a prominent kick drum in SBD recording, eh?
« on: February 09, 2013, 08:37:08 AM »
I'm making a matrix recording, and I'm finding that everything is AOK except for a kick drum being too damn loud in my soundboard source.  What can I do, besides lowering the volume or using a high-pass filter (too drastic for me) to tame it?   ???

I guess I need to compress the kick, and leave much of everything else alone.

I'm trying a low-shelf filter, knee at 500Hz, attack 1 ms, decay 100 ms, -15dB threshold (seems to kick in around there), and a better than 30:1 slope

Am I way off, or whut would you suggest?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 09:48:56 AM by capnhook »
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
Re: How to compress a prominent kick drum in SBD recording, eh?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:03:03 AM »
I thought low shelving was an EQ function, so I don't understand how compressor settings fit in. That said, a 30:1 ratio seems huge to me. Unless the kick is really out of control, I think I'd try to go no more than 5:1 or 6:1. But I never really use large compression. You might also play with shorter release times too, but a 1ms to 5ms attack time seems good.

Also, instead of a low shelf, you might try a multiband compressor. Isolate the kick frequency and compress that band and leave the other bands as is.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »
A low-shelf filter with envelope settings is practically a multiband (well single band) compressor I would think.  That's the approach I would take, although I think 500Hz is too high of a band for just kick.  Maybe 150Hz would do.

I thought about this too, but if it's already a bright kick, he might need to bring some of that upper end down.

I'd start around 250 or so and adjust based on what's left.

I thought low shelving was an EQ function, so I don't understand how compressor settings fit in. That said, a 30:1 ratio seems huge to me. Unless the kick is really out of control, I think I'd try to go no more than 5:1 or 6:1. But I never really use large compression. You might also play with shorter release times too, but a 1ms to 5ms attack time seems good.

Also, instead of a low shelf, you might try a multiband compressor. Isolate the kick frequency and compress that band and leave the other bands as is.

all of this. I like the short attack and I'd look at a shorter release (maybe 50ms, maybe as high as 80), depends on how much bloom/tail there is already.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 02:06:43 PM »
I'm thinking I'm finding the main frequency to be 126 Hz.  I'll try to compress it at that notch, not so big a ratio.   :hmmm:

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 02:18:19 PM »
Is there anyway you could create a subtractive effect using phase - and an extra set of tracks?

Like - clone your tracks - so you'll have 4. Run a low pass on the clone - maybe isolate the frequencies a bit, invert it - and mix it in to taste with the original tracks.

Maybe too much risk to the rest of the low end...?

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
Is there anyway you could create a subtractive effect using phase - and an extra set of tracks?

Like - clone your tracks - so you'll have 4. Run a low pass on the clone - maybe isolate the frequencies a bit, invert it - and mix it in to taste with the original tracks.

Maybe too much risk to the rest of the low end...?

Depending on the DAW you use, this could create more problems than it fixes. 
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline db

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • i do not have a personal statement
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 06:10:17 PM »

i think you have an aud recording there...
db

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 09:42:35 AM »

That has worked the best so far, thanks for the suggestions everyone, I tried them all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.23 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com