Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAV BG1 into Sony PCM-D50  (Read 5962 times)

Offline MrClean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DAV BG1 into Sony PCM-D50
« on: March 01, 2013, 03:10:42 AM »
Hey Guys,

Apologies upfront for asking stupid questions - I am a professional musician but an absolute newbie when it comes to gear. I do like good sound, though...

I recently aquired a DAV BG1 preamp, and I'm looking for the best way to convert the analogue out to store digitally. I have a Sony PCM-D50 that I'd like to try to use for data storage, but am unsure of routing the data in analogue format into the Sony via the line-level input, as it still passes through the Sony's volume pot as well as D/A converter. I don't know enough about either on the Sony, though I would think an outboard DAC would do a better job. Am I being too anal? If not, the next step would be to find something that would take the balanced outs on the BG1 and convert it to a format the digital input on the Sony would accept, but I obvously don't need the preamp part that comes with most of the units that do this sort of thing - I want as straight a path as possible. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone know off-hand if the metering still works on the Sony in digital input mode even though you cannot adjust the input level while in digital-input mode? 

Thanks in advance.

JW

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: DAV BG1 into Sony PCM-D50
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:16:57 AM »
1) Yes, the metering still works in digital mode. I use mine with a Sound Devices usbpre2 that way.
2) The Sony will handle upwards of +24dbu line signal, but there is a point on the wheel where you are overloading the inputs before you register 0dbfs. The last post I could find on it was stating running the wheel at a setting of 5 or 6 and adjust everything else upstream. You could test that overload point (wheel/dbu combo) since the BG1 will pump out close to +26dbu.

There was a test done on the D50's ADC component (well, technically it's line in path and ADC, but you get the jist) and it's adequate. Unless you have a burning desire to use an outboard ADC, I'd just stick with the BG1>D50 combo.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 01:30:55 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. ADC - of course.  I've never used that term before, but you're right...  It sounds like the feed from the BG is pretty hot - is the Sony the right solution? I'm looking for something portable and affordable. I probably would not have chosen the Sony had I not already owned it.

The "line + adc"is the part that concerns me. I would hate to nullify the advantages of this nice preamp by passing it through that chain if the quality of that circuitry was not great. I'm a bit of an audio snob - have always preferred separates and I'm suspicious of the quality of so many components bundled into a compact device. I'm probably over thinking this - it's not like I'm making commercial recordings.

Thanks again.

J

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
I wouldn't be worried. the D50 seems to hold it's own as long as you aren't overloading it with using a wheel setting thats too low. There was a recording done which used a sonosax sx-m2 and the person recording sent one output to the D50 and the other to a 722 and posted the files. While using good playback equipment you could distinguish one from the other, it wasn't enough of a difference that if cost was an issue, that I'd leave the D50 and jump ship to something else.

The ergonomics of the D50 and it's gain setting is, I think, a bigger issue than the sonic qualifications. As long as you can make sure that the wheel doesn't turn by accident, then I think it's worth using it behind the BG1 (and if you can find a reliable power source for the BG1, I'd use it).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
I'm not sure I understand the comment "overload it by using a wheel setting that is too low". I guess you mean if the wheel setting on the Sony is low, it would cause me to crank the output on the BG to optimize s/n. Like you suggested earlier, maybe I should just set the Sony to 5 or 6 and adjust the levels via the BG.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
I owned a BG1. They are Great preamps.  The output of the BG1 is only as "hot" as you choose to make it, by increasing gain.

You can run it into the line input of a D50 or M10 and it will sound excellent.  You just need a good cable (two cables actually, one for each channel).   And since you will be running unbalanced, try and keep the length short and keep it away from the a/c power connector on the back of the BG1.

If you try that and are unsatisfied, then maybe consider an additional outboard A/D.

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 06:39:45 PM »
As long as you can make sure that the wheel doesn't turn by accident, then I think it's worth using it behind the BG1 (and if you can find a reliable power source for the BG1, I'd use it).

Reliable power source - do you mean passing the power through a line conditioner?

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »
Ahhh, I see.  That won't be an issue. I guess I'm not hip to what "taper" means,  :D.  When I did a Google search on "Sony PCM-D50 optical input", it directed me here. I will be using this indoors, usually in concert or recital halls, and I don't need to be discreet. Mainly used to record student audition DVDs, and on occassion to record myself for various projects (or to get an objective opinion on how I sound).

Thanks for all the help, guys.  Much appreciated.

JW
LA Philharmonic
Colburn School

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:36 PM »
LA Philharmonic
Colburn School

color me envious.

More on point though, your setup will sound fine. Jon and 11 covered the other pertinent bits.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 09:15:36 AM »
Let us know how the DAV works out.  I think it will sound excellent.  They are a great value, and very well made.

I still have the 12V Exceltech inverter that powered my BG1 on batteries in the field.  They are one of the few true sine wave inverters.  It is actually quite small and light.  I need to find a new home for it.

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
I may be recording my son's brass quintet tonight - if it turns out OK, I'll post up a sample. I don't know a whole lot about mic placement, and my mics (Cascade Fatheads) are in need of an upgrade, but this should still sound better than the electrets on the Sony...

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:30:07 PM »
Will definitely go Blumlein, probably 10 to 15 feet back to let the sound bloom a bit and to try to avoid a null spot dead center. I'm not a fan of the mics on the Sony - they sound pretty thin and bright to me. I prefer the sound of my cheap H2 or my Edirol R 01, but for brass, I like the ribbons over all of them. May eventually end up with Royer or Coles.

J

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 06:41:45 PM »
Just found out the quintet coach has two Neumann U87ai mics (but no preamp?) so we will be combining our gear.  ;D

Offline MrClean

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2013, 11:43:34 PM »
We didn't end up being able to use the Neumanns to record the kids' quintet. Jon - the fatheads were definitely not the right mic for that application (or room). I had to go too far back, and got more of the room than the group: https://www.box.com/s/mygqbomme8qxitpeae2p

I recorded myself today with this setup, and I think it works OK. The room is a little noisy, but I think the preamp is great, and going analogue into  the Sony should be fine. I still want better mics... 

https://www.box.com/s/mqnlkze5419vokry1cxp
https://www.box.com/s/xm3vkgzx5m3y3r0sa1qs
https://www.box.com/s/sqm4rav0tb19tz1ym5ve
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:41:15 AM by MrClean »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 03:23:01 AM »
DAMN, thats a LOT OF HIGHEND ;) Need some schoeps to balance that out better :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com