Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video Sharing with copy protection  (Read 4079 times)

Offline techgui

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Video Sharing with copy protection
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:28:31 PM »
I'm preparing to go into a specialized area of the audio/video editing business and I would like for the clients to view the in-process edited music videos for feedback.  Basically, I would like to be able to work back and forth with the client to customize the video to their needs.  But I don't want dishonest clients to wait until I'm almost done and then say they are unhappy, steel the content and skip without paying. They don't have to pay if they don't like the product, but they don't get to keep the product.   Are any of the video sharing sites like Vimeo and youtube able to protect the content from being downloaded?  Is there another way for me to protect myself?  The only other thing I can think of is blurring their faces until payment.  Or putting an ugly watermark right in the middle of the screen. 

John

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Video Sharing with copy protection
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
Any video that can be streamed online can be downloaded.  I'd either watermark the video or keep all of the working proofs at a low enough resolution to be unusable for their purpose.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 04:24:53 PM »
Any video that can be streamed online can be downloaded.  I'd either watermark the video or keep all of the working proofs at a low enough resolution to be unusable for their purpose.

Pretty much. If you're not going to give representative samples of the final product, then you're effectively working on a small rendering.

If you're doing work like this and are worried, I'd make sure you have some sort of contract in place, and this is one of those areas I'd consult a lawyer for an hour to get proper language in my contract for it specifically. ("I retain any and all applicable copywrite for footage not paid for.")
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 06:36:10 PM »
Thanks for the well though out advice.  I didn't even think of the contract in addition to trying to render the product useless until payment. 

Offline shoestringconcerts

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »
its a risk of spec work, use a watermark and share via youtube which does ALOT of flash compression. 

I would also suggest when you do this type of work that in the agreement with the client that they have to make a financial commitment based on the 1st mix.  if they dont like the 1st cut or its not something their willing to pay for then you save some work finishing a project they likely wont pay for
Tascam dr2d - Tascam Dr60
Video: Canon M50/M500 (5)
Panasonic LX7 (2) - Sony EOS-M (2)
Sony HC1 - Panasonic SD600 - Sanyo FH1
www.shoestringconcerts.com

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:09:48 PM »
That's a good idea.  The 1st mix should be pretty representative of where the finished product will be. 

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 03:07:27 AM »
Encode the customer's sample clip at a really low bitrate (I'd say keep it low enough that it won't go higher than 360 on Youtube) and put a watermark on it.  And also send them a link to a high resolution HD sample of some other work you've done and tell them that their low-resolution sample will ultimately look like the high resolution sample clip when you're done with it.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 07:10:29 PM »
doing work like this and are worried, I'd make sure you have some sort of contract in place, and this is one of those areas I'd consult a lawyer for an hour to get proper language in my contract for it specifically. ("I retain any and all applicable copywrite for footage not paid for.")

If it is music an editor never can hold copywrite to the footage, it is the property of the videographer and performer(s) and the audio copywrite would belong to the performer/songwriter(usually).   

He can request to use his edited version as a sample even if they dont ultimately use his edit but ultimately if they say no, he is out of luck. 
If their not willing to pay you for your work, their not going to sign a contract allowing you to use the footage. 

All these kinds of issues are why I rarely do spec work anymore, too many hassles,  just pay me and your the boss

• Taperssection Regular
    • Shoestringconcerts
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
oh and another direct answer to your initial question:

put timecode in the inital drafts,  it will allow your client to references it for changes and if they 'steal' the stream it will have the tacky timecode on it

Here is an example of an unlisted rough mix sent to a client:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkgeNxKaf1w
only has stereo board feed(to be replaced with multitrack for final edit)
it has time code
of course my client paid me some money up front and i dont worry about him stealing it

If you want to see the final video with multitrack audio you can go here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXY7G3_Uomc

Offline shownomarcy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Hungarian Metallica fanclub!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 06:32:09 AM »
Youtube:
Also simple thing to set the video Not public.
Not listed - can watch only if they owned the link - though in this way the video still could spread.
Private - could be good, only those have rights to watch the video who you give license.
I did this when some band wanted to check the video before I shared at our concert photo/video site. And some asked to delete... :P so this prevented others to see it if it wasnt good enough for the band...

There are several programs to download any videos from the sites, so I'd accept that download protect does not exist.

Sending samples at the beginning of the work is always good! Once I "Almost" made a little video clip... but it didnt really fit the bands taste, so I was only the cameraman and half-director, was finished by somebody else.
Stupid :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do-CkrZP4Sg
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 06:43:26 AM by shownomarcy »
AT853uw mics / ca-14 (omni/card)+ ca-9200 preamp
Edirol R-09HR / Tascam DR-2d
Canon Legria HF S20

Have you taped any Hungarian band? Please contact me! :)
http://www.youtube.com/shownomarcy
https://soundcloud.com/m-rton-sebesty-n-shownomarcy
http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=397210
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/member.php?u=120801

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.105 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com