Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PCM-M10 vs DR-100mkII  (Read 5974 times)

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
PCM-M10 vs DR-100mkII
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
I'm finally ready to make the switch from DAT. I have narrowed my focus down to either the Sony PCM-M10, or the Tascam DR-100mkII. I have been recording live on DAT since 1995, when I got my D7. Before that I used D5 and D6 cassette portables. I have been a live-music taper since 1986.

Currently I use a D8 for ...(stealth)... and a DA-P1 for open taping. Most of the time that I use the DA-P1 is to record off of the board, via XLR line in. (I like the XLR line in feature of the DR-100mkII specifically for the ability to record off of the board with XLR cables.)

I use Neumann SKM-140 microphones, (with and without active cables, as the case may be), and I use a Beyer MV-100 preamp, for audience recordings.

I guess, if I had my druthers, I'd get an M10 for stealth and a Tascam HD-P2 for open taping. But, that option is too costly.

I like that both the M10 and the DR-100mkII have actual record level knobs. That's a big plus. The digital input of the Tascam would be nice for transferring the rest of my DAT collection.

I need to do something soon, because my 15-year-old ECO Charge lead acid battery for the DA-P1 finally died the other night, 80 minutes into the Heartless Bastards set. (I guess they don't last forever. I'm glad that I got that much life out of it.)

Anyone have any comments?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: PCM-M10 vs DR-100mkII
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 07:50:51 PM »
Well, a stealth recorder will work for open taping. A open recorder doesn't work too well for stealth. That being said, I don't think it would be too hard to stealth a DR-100mkII.

I frequently record openly with my M10 (I have a DR-680 for open) simply because it's easier to carry.

Of all of the recorders I've stealthed with the M10 is easily my favorite. I can start the recording a little early, place the recorder in "Hold" so I can't accidentally stop it. Once the music starts you can still adjust levels. I've heard people say they are afraid that the knob for levels will move on it's own, but mine is firm enough that that hasn't happened to me.

KM140 > Tinybox > M10 would be a pretty damn nice rig for not too much $$$. Toss in the active cables and you've got a pretty sick stealth rig.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 08:09:57 PM »
I own a M10 and a PMD661. I purchased the M10 for stealth though nothing has come my way that I need it, yet. I been taping since 1983. I have stealth-ed with a D-5 and a D-6. So the size of the 661 or the DR-100mkII would not bother me in that situation. With your gear I may tend to say DR-100mkII would be the more useful of the two. Heck a M10 could be added later if the funds allow, after all the cost of DAT tapes will go away.

One more note the Eco charge battery can be renewed for about 20 bucks at your local Battery Plus.
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 01:41:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'll probably settle on the Tascam, as I've had really good luck with my DA-P1. (Of course most of my recorders are Sonys. My first one was a Sony TC-153SD. My first stealth deck was a WM-D6C, so I am very partial to Sonys too. Any yes, I've stealthed with my D5 as well. The D5 is the best workhorse I've ever seen. It will be running long after these 'made in China' boxes have given up the ghost.)

Is there any difference to the sound quality of the two recorders?

I use an iMac. Are they both good to use with Macs?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline OldNeumanntapr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 01:41:29 AM »
I decided on the Tascam DR-100mkII. It should be here late next week.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
I decided on the Tascam DR-100mkII. It should be here late next week.

Congrats! You will def be happy ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 05:07:53 AM »
Is there any difference to the sound quality of the two recorders?

I don't think there's much (if any) difference while recording at the same bit rates / depths, and using external mics and external powering (preamp/bbox).

What I think is that saying "Do I buy a DR-100mkII or a M-10?" is like saying "Do I buy a bicycle or a SUV?", in the sense that they're completely different recorders aimed to different targets. A SUV and a bicycle will get you to the supermarket but one is more convenient than the other for certain purposes. A M-10 and a DR100 will have your show recorded but one is smaller and only has minijack inputs, while the other is bigger and accepts XLR mics and minijacks too. Different animals. Congrats on the purchase of the Tascam though :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com