Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: music recorded in church?  (Read 2019 times)

Offline MinnBrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
music recorded in church?
« on: April 08, 2013, 07:14:29 PM »
Hi.  greetings to all.  My wife is wondering if there is a community of folks or a niche group of people who record and/or collect music recorded in church.  Choirs, organs, eclectic stuff - anything really-  thanks alot.  best, Brian in Minnesota

Offline sacchini

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: music recorded in church?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 02:09:00 PM »
I really don't know but I like to say that Cowboy Junkies has recorded a nice album ("The Trinity Session") in a church through a single stereo mic...

Offline Tom McCreadie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:15:17 AM »
Tepid response so far, Brian. Maybe everyone's busy looking up the difference between eclectical and electrical?  :-)

I'm presently less active, but much of my recording has been in churches....live concerts, classical, acoustic, e.g. amateur choirs, acapella, or accompanied by organ, or by pro ensemble, orchestra or soloists. Always by commission or invitation and open collaboration, though, never stealth. [Why, steal(th)ing from a church seems to my mind akin to snitching change from your mum's handbag...courting painful Retribution in both cases.  :-)]  So in respect of the wishes of the performers {"owners"), I've never broadcast the material willy-nilly to the web. But I might be open to ways of exchanging ideas, wishes and small music snippets.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 09:17:06 AM by Tom McCreadie »

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 12:38:36 PM »
There's a nice "search" function on here, you could use it to comb the "Kickdown Central" heading. Of course you will find lots of "Church Audio" products if you search for Church, maybe use a -audio filter.
Also search for organ, somebody on here records pipe organs, just don't include "The Sewer" in the headings searched.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline Rudyts

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:55:02 PM »
Hi Brian,
I enjoy recording in local church environs and usually capture pipe organ and choral repertoire there. Since I only record unamplified concerts I try to find settings where the natural acoustic provides a good sense of space and ambiance. Just last month I had the pleasure of recording three separate organ recitals that way. Feel free to send a message if you care to discuss this further. Cheers.
Mics: Schoeps Colette MK21, MK41 and CCM2s; Earthworks QTC1
Preamp: Sound Devices MixPre-D
Recorders: Sound Devices 744T
Mounts: Vark Bar on Rycote INV6
Cables. etc.: Schoeps; Canare; Beldin Interconnects; Schoeps LP40 U Filters
Stand: AEA-13CB with SMP 1.25M Stereo Positioner

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »
I also have recorded quite a bit of material in church - usually, either the handbell or singing choirs of which I'm a member. As a rule, though, I only distribute them to fellow choir members, the director, etc.

I know this is the era of YouTube and such, but I'd rather not tempt fate. Even when copyright isn't an issue (e.g. Haydn's Seven Last Words of Christ) there can be contract issues with hired musicians.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com