Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Single track m4a file. How should I procede with track splitting?  (Read 2422 times)

Offline gladcarrot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I received a concert recording from another taper who used his iPhone to tape the show.  It's surprisingly good to me for a cell phone and not blown out at all.  It's a single .m4a file, 64 kbps, 44.100 kHz. 

What are my options in regards to splitting the file into tracks and possibly conversion to mp3?  I know it's not good to re-encode, but m4a is so limited compared to mp3 in terms of programs and devices for playback. 

Normally, I use audacity to split wave files, but that won't work in this case since audacity won't open m4a files. 

Offline brad.bartels

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Single track m4a file. How should I procede with track splitting?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »
If you're going to convert it to MP3 anyway, I'd do that first and then you should be able to use Audacity to split it into tracks.

Offline RemotelyLocated

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
The limitation is only in what you want to play it back with, not what's available (and for free) to play it back with. Lots of things can play back AAC files. (.m4a could also be Apple Lossless, but not at 64kbps)

The bigger concern is that if you convert to MP3 first, then split tracks, they may get re-encoded a second time as the new tracks get created. Convert it to AIFF or WAVE before splitting if you want to avoid that with certainty.

Let your friend know that Griffin's free iTalk app, for example, on it's "best" quality setting will record a 16/44 AIFF file, limited only by AIFF's inherent 2GB file size limit, but because it'll be mono should last quite a while.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
since audacity won't open m4a files.
Huh? Mine does. Just drag & drop it into an open session!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com