Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO info on mics  (Read 6054 times)

kirk97132

• Trade Count: (0)
ISO info on mics
« on: May 15, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »
I came into possession of these mics, yet I cannot find any info on line.  Any help would be great.  Audio Technica 500XL Cards.  Non removable windscreen, AA battery powered.

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Re: ISO info on mics
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
I can't find anything either. I scoured their web site, including the European one, for discontinued items, and came up with naught. Do they have XLR connectors? I just wondered if maybe they were consumer-level mics, and might be elsewhere on their site. Unless they're counterfeit...
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

kirk97132

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »
I can't find anything either. I scoured their web site, including the European one, for discontinued items, and came up with naught. Do they have XLR connectors? I just wondered if maybe they were consumer-level mics, and might be elsewhere on their site. Unless they're counterfeit...
yes XLR.  I was thinking they might be Japanese only models?  Maybe something that was bought there and brought into states.  If you are gonna counterfeit something wouldn't it be something that exists so if people checked then they would find some info?  I did find some rental houses and recoding studios that list them in their inventory so I really doubt they are fakes.  Maybe they are older than I expected too. 

runonce

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 12:00:49 PM »
they look very much like late 1970s AT gear...

Like the AT813...about the closest thing I can think of...

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:04:08 PM »
Look like relabeled AT 831a mics.. If they are they are one of my favorite for blues / clean guitar amp miking. They had a primo capsule in them. And they did sound great for close micing. see : http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audio-Technica/ATM31a

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

kirk97132

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 05:38:24 PM »
Look like relabeled AT 831a mics.. If they are they are one of my favorite for blues / clean guitar amp miking. They had a primo capsule in them. And they did sound great for close micing. see : http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audio-Technica/ATM31a

Chris
That looks like the one.  Was the windscreen non-removable too?  I have not tried running these without a battery in place, maybe that is next.  Thanks!

After close picture comparisions I think they are a vesion of the ATM31  http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audio-Technica/ATM31  Looks like exactly the same body, switch and all.  wonder why the different label?  Maybe sold thru different vendor.  Didn't Radio shack carry rebranded AT mics way back when.  I thought I remembered an SM-58 but it had cord attached?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:45:59 PM by kirkd »

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:58 PM »

Chris
That looks like the one.  Was the windscreen non-removable too?  I have not tried running these without a battery in place, maybe that is next.  Thanks!

After close picture comparisions I think they are a vesion of the ATM31  http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Audio-Technica/ATM31  Looks like exactly the same body, switch and all.  wonder why the different label?  Maybe sold thru different vendor.  Didn't Radio shack carry rebranded AT mics way back when.  I thought I remembered an SM-58 but it had cord attached?
If memory serves me. There are a few screws that have to come off and the whole capsule is exposed. Good sounding mic though if it has not been used for vocal and full of spit :) they sound quite good. I dont know if its the same capsule but if you do get it apart send me a picture I do remember what it looked like. AT made and still do make some great mics. I can say that because there is very few they made I did not use at one time or another. Including the new series of live mics. They are sorta snubbed in the pro audio field but that's by people that have never used them.
Mic companies often rebrand old product make slight tweaks and relaunch them. This mic if its an 831a is certainly a mic if I made it I would never have discontinued if it were in my lineup. Have fun with the mic. Try to find some old ones on ebay they are cheap as hell because nobody knows how good they sound lol..
Chris

kirk97132

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 02:38:02 PM »

Chris

If memory serves me. There are a few screws that have to come off and the whole capsule is exposed. Good sounding mic though if it has not been used for vocal and full of spit :) they sound quite good. I dont know if its the same capsule but if you do get it apart send me a picture I do remember what it looked like. AT made and still do make some great mics. I can say that because there is very few they made I did not use at one time or another. Including the new series of live mics. They are sorta snubbed in the pro audio field but that's by people that have never used them.
Mic companies often rebrand old product make slight tweaks and relaunch them. This mic if its an 831a is certainly a mic if I made it I would never have discontinued if it were in my lineup. Have fun with the mic. Try to find some old ones on ebay they are cheap as hell because nobody knows how good they sound lol..
Chris
Thanks Chris, I'd have to say these were not used much at all, in fact they look brand new.  Even the battery compartment looks spanking new,  The bodies are flawless not even marring from plastic clips so these could be a huge score.  I have a total of $20 invested in the pair ;D  Any info about removing the screens would be helpful.  I don't see any screws unless they are under the label.  And I tried some moderate pressure to unscrew it but it didn't budge.  didn't want to go apeshit on it.  I would love to have a look under the hood.  and AT did list the mic as having interchangeable capsule but I suspect that invilved the whole upper part of the body including the windscreen. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »

Chris

Chris
Thanks Chris, I'd have to say these were not used much at all, in fact they look brand new.  Even the battery compartment looks spanking new,  The bodies are flawless not even marring from plastic clips so these could be a huge score.  I have a total of $20 invested in the pair ;D  Any info about removing the screens would be helpful.  I don't see any screws unless they are under the label.  And I tried some moderate pressure to unscrew it but it didn't budge.  didn't want to go apeshit on it.  I would love to have a look under the hood.  and AT did list the mic as having interchangeable capsule but I suspect that invilved the whole upper part of the body including the windscreen.
If I remember they were in the battery compartment.

Chris

kirk97132

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 10:59:33 AM »
NO screw in battery compartment, Chris.  And I tried unscrew and pulling apart as hard as I am comfortable ding.  Any harder and I'd be afraid of damage.  So I guess that you cannot access the capsule?  Or there is some trick and/or tool I don't know about

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 02:04:52 PM »
NO screw in battery compartment, Chris.  And I tried unscrew and pulling apart as hard as I am comfortable ding.  Any harder and I'd be afraid of damage.  So I guess that you cannot access the capsule?  Or there is some trick and/or tool I don't know about
I would really have to see the mics to see where the screws are under labels is where I would look.

kirk97132

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:40 PM »
label is actually a collar that removes and no screws.  Eh, I guess I give up and will have to judge them on sound without knowing if they have primo caps.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »
label is actually a collar that removes and no screws.  Eh, I guess I give up and will have to judge them on sound without knowing if they have primo caps.
I remember now you need a special wrench to undo the nut where the contact is for the capsule. if you look you will see two small slots on a metal ring you can use two jewlers screwdrivers in your hand at the same time and unscrew it then the capsule will come out of the head.

kirk97132

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
thanks I'll check it out soon as I have time

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 05:33:42 PM »
thanks I'll check it out soon as I have time
sounds like you are just like me I must take apart everything I own lol.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com