Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Missing some of my left channel recording  (Read 1761 times)

Offline orb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • FXM Photography
Missing some of my left channel recording
« on: June 15, 2013, 11:17:20 PM »
So I am new at this so please bear with me. :-) Recorded a concert and it seems my patch cable was having issues so some of the recording ended up with small portions of the left channel missing.
I have access to Audition CS6 so I am hoping I can fix the problems with a little advice. :-) I am a casual taper and have not run into this issue before.

My setup was CA-14 microphones, CA 9100 Preamp to a Sony PCM-M10

Thank you ahead of time!

Orb

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Missing some of my left channel recording
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »
How frequent are the missing portions?  If there aren't too many of them, I've addressed issues like this in the past by duplicating the good channel into the bad only for the missing portions.  This results in mono playback for those portions, and abrupt changes between stereo and mono, which disrupts the listening experience.  A sufficiently long crossfade between the good channel sections patched into the bad channel makes for a smooth transition from stereo to mono and back, thereby minimizing any disruptions to the listening experience.

Looks something like this...

Before:

[-Bad-Channel----------------------[Missing]----------------------Bad-Channel-]
[-Good-Channel---------------------------------------------------Good-Channel-]

After, without crossfades:

[-Bad-Channel---------------------[Good-Ch]---------------------Bad-Channel-]

After, with crossfades:

[-Bad-Channel-----[Crossfade-In|Good Ch|Crossfade-Out]----Bad-Channel-]

Crossfade-In is a gradual transition from 100% Bad Channel through mixed Good+Bad Channels to 100% Good Channel.  Crossfade-Out is simply the reverse.

Sorry, I'm not familiar enough with CS6 to provide any specific guidance on duplicating channels or crossfading.

If there are lots of small portions missing, this may prove more of a pain in the neck than it's worth, in which case you might consider replacing the entire bad channel with a duplicate of the first.  This would result in mono playback, but at least without the missing flaws.  There are also some techniques, manual or via plugins, you can use to make the mono file sound a little more stereo-ish.  But I won't go down that road right now.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline orb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • FXM Photography
Re: Missing some of my left channel recording
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
Thankfully the problems overall are small, just 3 songs with 1 to 2 second gaps so I think the solution you are presenting should be the easiest way to fix.
Because I recorded this I am listening for the spots in the song, anyone else unless wearing headphones probable will never notice fixed sections, at least I hope. :-)

Thank you for the help!

Orb

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com