Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The Haas effect  (Read 2027 times)

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
The Haas effect
« on: July 02, 2013, 08:05:16 PM »
Hi!

Delaying one channel to add more depth or create a fake stereo recording from a mono recording usually goes under the term the Haas effect.

When listening to a recording after applying the Haas effect in headphones the delayed channel will sound lower as well. Anyone who experimented with this and have
any hints how to make both channels sound equally loud after applying the haas effect?

Any suggestions what the deleyed channel should be amplified with as a function of the delays in milliseconds?

Interested to learn the art and theory behind this if anyone has any experience!

Thanks!
Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline TSNéa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
Re: The Haas effect
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
Delaying one channel to add more depth or create a fake stereo recording from a mono recording usually goes under the term the Haas effect.

Other way around really.  The Haas effect is a human perceptual phenomenon, which has to do with what we perceive when we hear the same sound reproduced from two different locations with a short delay.  The audio processing applications you mention often take advantage of it, but there are also other ways of doing pseudo-stereo processing and making things sound wider or deeper.

Like a many things, it's probably best to develop a good understanding of the relationships, in concept and experience, and simply balance things by listening and adjusting parameters, rather than try and rely on a formula.  Play around short delay times and level differences and see what works.  Different settings work for different applications, within a range.     
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: The Haas effect
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 10:59:59 PM »
I've played with it some. It's a trade off really. I never liked it enough to use it often. When I had mono stuff, I would do minor notch EQ (1db or less) differing between channels and then soak it all in artificial reverb to various degrees to create a fake stereo setup. It's less bad then mono, but quite acceptable if you should have mic'd the drums in stereo but didn't have enough channels...  :-[

As for compensating on the head shift, you just amp the "low" channel to get it to swing back around. I found (regardless of material) that I didn't want to shift more than 10-15 samples (as calculated by a delay plugin, not visually in a DAW) in any given direction before it got too far past being in "natural" phase. It's possible to shuffle upwards of 50, 200, and even 500 samples but it varies by material and the resulting inter-channel relationship.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.185 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com