Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stealth taping with Core sounds heb dpa 461  (Read 2857 times)

Offline leykis 101

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
stealth taping with Core sounds heb dpa 461
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:28 PM »
Ok I have a question.

I stealth taped with the core sounds heb dpa 461 mics.  I had them mounted on my jacket, (it was a smaller club)

it was my second outing.  first time at an outdoor ampatheater same mounting area came out crystal clear, but indoors I pic up alot of crowd noise.

need tips for mounting locations, and mounting tips.  I tried with a baseball hat at home but I could not figure out how it worked (it looked like it would be 2 on 1 side instead of 1 on each)

love the low profile and the sound come out great just need tips

Online nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: stealth taping with Core sounds heb dpa 461
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
I've used CSBs for years, and always gotten best results from a baseball cap (mics clipped to the fabric, one just each side of the brim, pointing not-quite-180-degrees apart). But you're going to get crowd noise with binaurals - it's just part of the tradeoff for more stereo separation and a warmer sound.

Marshall7

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 12:27:51 AM »
but indoors I pic up alot of crowd noise.

No surprise there.  Crowds make noise, people talk, nothing you can do to avoid picking it up.

adrianf74

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »
Ok I have a question.

I stealth taped with the core sounds heb dpa 461 mics.  I had them mounted on my jacket, (it was a smaller club)

it was my second outing.  first time at an outdoor ampatheater same mounting area came out crystal clear, but indoors I pic up alot of crowd noise.

need tips for mounting locations, and mounting tips.  I tried with a baseball hat at home but I could not figure out how it worked (it looked like it would be 2 on 1 side instead of 1 on each)

love the low profile and the sound come out great just need tips

This is the whole outdoor/indoor thing -- outdoors, the "noise" of people talking has the ability to move around and may or may not be picked up by omnidirectional mics.  When you're in an enclosed room (especially a smaller club), the sound of chatter has nowhere to go so it can "seem" louder to the mics because it is.

This lends itself to the whole debate of whether one should run omnis or cards.  Personally, I like the sound of smaller omnis over smaller cards (I've talked about this in the forums for years now so I'm not going to rehash that).  The 4061's are great little mics for what they are and you'll be hard pressed to find a better omni microphone in the price-range.  Some people don't care for the artificial bump ("DPA sound") and a few may argue about DPA 406x's being garbage to their ears.  I've always found (when I had some 4061's) that they did a good job of capturing the sound anywhere I stood.

Moving back to your chatterbox recording... you might want to consider picking up a pair of small cardioid mics (they'll be bigger than the 4061's, that's for certain) but they're very manageable (heck, I record with CK61's so anything smaller is pretty easy to work with.  I'd recommend CA-14 cards or AT-853's if Darktrain scores some more because you'll be hard pressed to find a sub-$150 microphone (or even sub-$300 microphone) that sounds as good as them.

I'm going to PM you some tips as well. 

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:35:05 AM »
PM sent

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:36:10 AM »
but indoors I pic up alot of crowd noise.

No surprise there.  Crowds make noise, people talk, nothing you can do to avoid picking it up.

Using (super/hyper/standard) cardiod patterns helps, as far as I know ;D
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline dointhatrag

• Taperssection Regular
    • my band
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:47:55 AM »
These mics are Omni's so they will pick up a lot of crowd noise. I have owned these for 15 years now, without a doubt you need to stick them right on top of your ears. Your head will act like a Jecklin Disk. I also recommend getting the little ball gags for them, They really make those tiny mics sit right on top of my ears and they are the best for wind noise. I keep them on all the time cause it cuts way down on any mic noise you might pick up wearing the mics.

These are incredible little omni's  I have made many breath taking recordings with them using a oade pre. get those things on top of your ears and go find the sweet spot.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 09:51:45 AM by dointhatrag »
Schoeps + Neumann + DPA - Sonosax PR - Apogee Mini Me - 24/96

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com