Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Reference speaker opinions?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Reference speaker opinions?
« on: October 09, 2014, 05:05:04 PM »
Maybe better suited in Playback forum but since I will be using these speakers primarily for post-processing I put it here instead.

Saw this thread awhile ago:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=162392.msg2038745#msg2038745

And since then have had my eye on these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO7UNXO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJFLJ7J2AIXGD

What are peoples opinion of them?
I have a friend who has KRK 6s and he says they are "bassy"
(I'm not a fan of bassy. Hate all Beats products for that very reason.)

I was really hoping for a very flat-response type reference speaker.

Others I am considering are in same price range:
http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-MR5mk2-Powered-Reference-Monitor/dp/B004H7SO46

Or maybe some one of the  MAudio models.

What do you like to use in mixing, etc.. that is very flat.

Thanks!

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Reference speaker opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 06:14:13 PM »
I really like my JBL Control 1 Pros, but think they are a little light on bass.  They may suit you.

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »
I love my Tannoy Reveal 402's, one of the best purchases I've made for post production work.  I think they sound amazing, but I have no side-by-side listening of other studio monitors to assert they're better than comparable monitors.  I see they're $20 cheaper than when I bought mine! 

http://www.amazon.com/Tannoy-Reveal-402-Studio-Monitor/dp/B00HU7F59C

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
This is a rather generic statement, but typically I find most any small ported speaker or monitor is rarely linear enough in the bass region to my ears to really asses things critically (regardless of it's mid and high frequency behavior).  The port is a way of getting a bit more bass extension in a given cabinet volume, but it nearly always introduces phase and overhang problems.  Unfortunately the current trend is for almost all small monitor to be ported, simply because it subjectively produces more bass and sells more speakers.  It's now somewhat rare to find small sealed acoustic suspension designs, but personally that's one thing I'd look for in a monitor used for critical listening and mixing. 

Otherwise, you can stick a sock in it and the bass usually tightens up and becomes more predictable (and will shelve down from a slightly higher corner frequency with a less steep slope).  That also often makes integration with subwoofer(s) easier.  If you want to get techy you can re-EQ the bass flat again to somewhat regain some of the loss in low end if you have the tools to do that accurately, at the cost of headroom and ultimate SPL.  Works well for average mixing and more sane listening levels though.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 03:43:23 PM »
Interesting, I learned something today. I notice that the Mackie linked in the OP has a port on the back rather than the front. A little research into speaker ports suggests that can help with some of the less desirable side effects but doesn't necessarily get rid of them all.

Have you noticed the port location making much of a difference?

Sticking a sock in it is certainly an easy workaround. I'm using some nice PC speakers lately as part of my processing as opposed to just using headphones. Planning to get some small monitors at some point so this is a timely discussion for me.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:09:05 PM »
Putting the port on the back can reduce 'chuffing' noise from air movement in the port and it's mouth, mostly because it's not facing the listener and those non-linear distortions become less audible, but the port's location on the cabinet doesn't effect I'm talking about above.  The problem is the resonant behavior inherent in using a ported bass-alignment to begin with, or at least most implementations of it.   It can be done well enough to mostly hide the problems, but more often than not it isn't, especially in less costly designs.   All things equal a larger sealed cabinet is almost always better behaved for covering the same frequency range.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:56:12 PM »
Sure, if designed correctly for the identical sealed cabinet volume a different driver would've been used.  Plugging the port doesn't correct that design flaw, it only makes the poor behavior of a badly designed resonant system less objectionable so the monitor becomes easier to use and the not so good little speaker rolls off earlier and sounds a bit flatter.  It's helped a number of the ones I've tried it on which had those kinds of issues.  My big speakers are ported but properly designed and plugging their ports doesn't improve them but degrades things.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 03:04:08 AM »
After owning a pair of Equator D8's for about a year, I would highly recommend them.
http://www.equatoraudio.com/Default.asp

They are ported on the front, and are coaxial.  The coaxial factor really helps with alot of phasing issues.
These are some of the most accurate, but still pleasant sounding, monitors I've ever heard.  I mix on them, and have found that the mixes translate really well to all kinds of playback systems.

They also make a D5, which sound great too, but are a little light in the low end.

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:14:20 PM »
Quick update.

I went with these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/JBL-LSR305-5--Powered-Studio-Monitor-109318063-i3225344.gc?source=4WWRWXG9&kwid=e08db0479c8e4719bcf3b8041f96b7f0&gclid=CKGRvcPkicICFSgQ7Aod8X8AJQ

I brought a playlist with songs showing qualities I was looking for.
The Rokit's sounded like complete mud.
The MAudio's had nice bass response on some songs and very bright. Song vocal were a little more up-front than the JBLs.

All in all, the JBLs were very "flat" and very "balanced".
And at a great price point....

Online Gutbucket

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 05:26:53 PM »
JBL's LSR range is generally well respected, and tends to have a flat response and well-behaved off-axis behavior.  Those will probably make for nice small monitors. 

If there is a JBL sub designed to work specifically with that model you might look into adding one for more accurately gauging the bottom and low mids in your recordings, which is where the small 5" woofers will begin to get weak.

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 01:45:05 AM »
The number one, go to speaker for mixing and post processing has historically been the Auratones, a cheap 5" mixing cube which was the primary speaker for "Rumors" and "Thriller"

Its developed quite a used market these days, although Avantones a modern equivalent, has taken up the slack.

The bottom line for me is that

Nearfields
Headphones
Mixing Cubes
Listening Speakers

are all part of the process, and how much weight you place in each is up to you.

Quincy Jones and Ken Caillat would say Auratones!
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
The Avantones are pretty decent for their purpose.  I have the original passive model.  But i agree that you still need to use good near field reference monitors.  They are meant to compliment each other for post.  I use an old pair of NHTPRO A-10s for reference.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:19 PM »
You guys are crazy. Those cheap chinese made plastic speakers all sound like crap.

Save up.

Buy something like this: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/uk/index.php?section=products&page=monitor20.1pro&model=Monitor%2020.1%20Pro

or a BBC clone of some sort: http://www.gini.com/index.php?id=337
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 11:03:53 PM »
The KRKs sound meh IMHO. I 'interviewed' several side by side and ended up with Audioengine 5+ active speakers. I thought I'd need to spend 2-3X more to get something that sounded significantly better.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 11:35:59 PM »
Ultimately you'll want speakers that allow you to make mixes that you can trust will translate well and are not fatiguing for you to work with. The old Yamaha ns10m's were in every studio back in the late 80's early 90's. So I had a pair and while they did allow for mixes to translate they were extremely fatiguing to work with in the process, so mine are: gone, gone, gone!

Avantones were popular for checking how mixes would translate to typical car radio and television speakers of the day and same would hold for modern equivalents. Good to check your mix on but as primary monitors not so much. GD stuff is mastered using Meyer studio monitors with a sub, but yikes check the price on them, way out of my budget.

Lot's of opinions and choices out there and it is subjective. What works for one is not necessarily going to work for all. Monitor positioning, height, isolation and your listening distance, listening/mixing/mastering decibel level are all important factors not to mention room size and acoustic characteristics/treatment or budget.

You really have to audition monitors yourself in your own working environment using material you are intimately familiar with to make your own best choice.

What is the best flavor of ice cream?  What is the best brush to paint with?  What is the best car to drive?

« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:31:32 AM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com