Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cheap bag for light stand  (Read 3747 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Cheap bag for light stand
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Just picked up a Manfrotto AluMaster 1004BAC.  Before I take it on the road, I'd like to get a cheap bag to protect it from getting dinged up and make it easier to carry.  I was wondering if anyone here that uses this stand has a bag they recommend.  Currently looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/StudioPRO-Photography-Background-Equipment-Carrying/dp/B00HERC35M/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_2_0
http://www.amazon.com/Studiohut-Carry-Light-Stands-Tripods/dp/B002Y6BS1I/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt
http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Speaker-speaker-stands-GPA-SPKSTDBG-50/dp/B001IM5KFY/ref=pd_cp_MI_0
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248298-REG/Benbo_BEN502_Tripod_Case_2.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:43:50 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Cheap bag for light stand
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
I have never owned one to be able to say how good they are, but mcm electronics has some cheap light or speaker stand bags.  The weakness in cheap bags would seem to be the zipper and the seams going bad.   If you're just hauling one stand, you could get a piece of fabric that you like from a fabric store, and roll it up around the stand with a velcro tie strap sewn to it to wrap it up.  You'd want to sew a handle to it as well.  No zippers or seams really to mess with.   

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 07:21:26 PM »
It's not especially cheap, but the Manfrotto LBAG110 is great for that stand.  Is it worth the cash (~ $50, if I recall correctly)?  It probably depends on how you'll use it.  If your talking parking lot to venue, maybe not.  But if you are taking trains or trams or whatever (as is usually the case for me), maybe.  It is pretty sturdy, with some padding (the top portion and bottom)*, and a decent shoulder strap.  It can hold several 1004BACs, so there is plenty of room for bulky accessories, like a Manfrotto 154B, if you don't have multiple stands to carry.  I have really put some miles on mine and think it has been worth the price, but, like I said, it may depend a lot on usage.

*I would be wary of checking it on an airline, though, as it's not padded enough to protect it from being tossed around...

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
I bought this one on Amazon last year: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SE7XR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's currently under $20 including shipping and it's got a large main area and 2 deep pockets on each side for extension poles, stakes or other long accessories.  It's not at the higher end of quality (like a Manfrotto bag), but it's still good value for the money.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:42:05 PM by mccordo »
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 12:23:06 AM »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 10:20:13 AM »
I use a bag from an aluminum folding chair.  cheap? it was free.

Offline StuStu

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »

Same here.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline voltronic

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »
These all look interesting, thanks for the suggestions!  I did look at the Manfrotto bag but it's more than I want to spend.  The lacrosse bag is clever.  I also looked at some cheap soft rifle cases but decided that's a bad idea, especially with most of my recording taking place in schools and churches. :P
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • We create auditory illusions, not reproductions
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »
Another folding-chair bag user here.  Works well for carrying the big stand for me.  I've got to imagine that's a pretty common solution around here. They are about the right length, usually have a drawstring closure, a shoulder-strap and are free.  A dog-screw, cinch-strap and ground-stakes go in the same bag for outdoor things, and sometimes a stand-extension.

But I'd like to find something more appropriate for the rig below, and this thread has me thinking about that again.. especially seeing that lacrosse stick bag.  Chair-bags aren't padded, don't zipper close completely and don't open down their entire length.  I've been meaning to find a more substantial small bag with those features to protect the mics and cabling which remain completely pre-wired in this mini rig when it is folded for transport.  I was thinking some sort of gun, instrument or sports equipment bag might be the thing.  Soft sided clarinet or pool-cue bag maybe?  Don't want something too big, the point of this rig is compact portability.

Currently I'm just using a smaller folding-chair bag for it, sourced from a small child-sized folding chair, missing the drawstring
(photos below are from previous threads here)-

But would prefer a long zipper closure along one side for easier in/out, which closes completely to the just the tech-flexed cable bundle exiting one end so the bag will securely retain windscreens and those balls acting as stand feet if either happen to pull loose, and will provides some decent cushioning/padding to better protect all the stuff below.  Actually there are now six microphones and associated wires on the current version rather than of the four shown in these photos.-

If any of you come across something about that size which seems appropriate, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 12:38:31 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Chomps

• Trade Count: (18)
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 04:09:17 PM »
I use the Lax bag as well. Its padded and held up when check from Hartford to Denver and back.
Microtech Gefell m200/M20/M21/nBob Actives>PFA
Microtech Gefell m950
AKG 414 XLII
Telefunken M60/M61/M62
AT853
SD MP 10ii//Edirol R-44/Sony M10

Offline voltronic

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »
OK, the STX bag looks like the front runner now.  I'm only concerned with the width of the stand fitting.  Would someone who has this bag please measure what the inside width in the narrow section is?  This isn't listed in the mfg site.  And when they say 43", is that an inside or outside dimension?

I'd go check it myself in person but the local places don't seem to stock it.  Thanks!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 06:17:12 PM »
Another camping chair bag user here too ;D I was going to buy a decent bag that can carry [2] stands for festies like Summer Camp where the one stage is a decent walk away, but I kinda forgot about it. I can fit all 3 of my stands AND both of my Lowel poles into a camping chair bag ;) But I do want something thats more heavy duty and lasts more than one summer ;)

I'll keep an eye out for this thread. Thanks for all of the info guys!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 07:13:38 AM »

Same here.

ditto
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline voltronic

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 08:38:22 PM »
I just received the STX bag recommended by DigiGal, and it is a PERFECT fit for the 1004BAC stand.  I was worried it was going to be slightly too short since its specs say 43 inches and that's the closed dimension of the Manfrotto, but there is actually an inch or two to spare.  Thanks so much for the awesome recommendation!
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.234 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com