Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just Made My First Recording  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Frankie Carroll

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Just Made My First Recording
« on: April 20, 2004, 04:18:02 PM »
Hi, Thought I would come back and tell you all how my first recording went. My Set up is: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-4,  SP-SPSB-1 (Battery Box With Bass Roll Off) and JB3.

I had a few weeks to practise with my new equipment and ask a few questions on here regarding settings etc (thanks again to eveybody who helped me) My original intention was to clip the mics to my glasses, but I decided this was going to be quite noticeable so I decided to modify a coat and have the microphones coming up the inside of the coat and come out at the top of my shoulders.

When the big night came I was very nervous, I had never done anything like this before and I was worried about getting caught. I decided not to try and hide the JB3, but I hid the Mics and Bat.Box down the front of my pants. I got into the venue without a problem and then I found somebody to ask what time the show started and if there was a support band, they told me the show started in about 1 hour and there was no support band. I still had to go to the toilets and get set up, so there was still some work to do. About 15 minutes before show time I slipped off to the toilets to get set up, I ran the wires and Mics up though my coat and got them positioned where I wanted them and got everything plugged in. One of the things I was most concerned about was setting the record level, I asked quite a few questions and had people telling me different things, some people said I would need as much gain as possible so I should crank the gain up to 12, other people with very similar equipment said they left it alone (but had to adjust it up with software after the event) On the night I decided to crank it up to 12 and hope for the best, I hit the record button, locked the unit and went back in to enjoy the show. The show started on time and I tried to forget about everything and enjoy the show. The sound in the venue sounded really good and I couldn`t wait to get home to hear how it turned out.

I transfered the recording to my hard drive as soon as I got home and imported it into Feurio! to start to edit, I hit the play button and the first thing I noticed was the level was quite high, I had to reduce it by about 30% so I think I would have been better having the gain lower (maybe about 6) The concert was loud, but it was not as loud as some I have been to so I don`t think I would recommend anybody cranking up to 12 to record a rock concert.

The sound quality of my recording came out really good and I am very pleased with it, the only problem with the recording is that on occassions (about 4 or 5 times) when the group hit a loud part the recording seems to distort very slightly, this is only a small problem and hardly noticeable but if I had had set the  record level lower I would have had a near perfect recording.

I can`t wait for my next show as I hope to get an even better result.                

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:Just Made My First Recording
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 04:24:34 PM »
that's the right attitude, the more you tape, the better you get.  one question, is there any chance that in your stealth situation you could have a glance down at your levels?  cause if you snuck in a fanny pack to hold your jb3 you could glance down at a real loud part and see how your levels are doing. the best stealthers know how to work their equipment blindfolded, and this way if you see the levels are too high you can lower them a few notches without even looking down.  hold a cell phone in your pack and if anyone gives you trouble expose the cell phone.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline ponape

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Old europe
    • Ponape Trade
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 08:43:04 AM »
Great
Can you post a little clip of your recording?

Offline vansmack

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 02:28:46 AM »
You'll get a much better recording if your mics are higher up.  I wear a backwards baseball cap and have my mics right above my ears under the hat.  Recordings come out great this way.  A couple weeks ago a mosh pit broke out right by me and my hat fell off along with the mics.  I attached them to my shoulders and the quality was only half as good.  They pick up much more crowd noise and the sound is nowhere near as clear.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 07:31:41 AM »
You'll get a much better recording if your mics are higher up.  I wear a backwards baseball cap and have my mics right above my ears under the hat.  Recordings come out great this way.  A couple weeks ago a mosh pit broke out right by me and my hat fell off along with the mics.  I attached them to my shoulders and the quality was only half as good.  They pick up much more crowd noise and the sound is nowhere near as clear.

I'd love to do this too, but us 'limeys' don't tend to wear baseball caps!
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline cfrancis

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 07:57:14 AM »
Much better result than my first time.  Mine was unusable.  But I agree with the baseball cap.  That's what I use to stealth.  

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 07:59:22 AM »
I'd love to do this too, but us 'limeys' don't tend to wear baseball caps!

Ah, but you, too, may look uber-stylish in the Kangol Tropic Vent-Air cap!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 08:25:33 AM »

Ah, but you, too, may look uber-stylish in the Kangol Tropic Vent-Air cap!

Spot on! Unfortunately, only cabbies over the ago of 60 wear this style of cap.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 08:27:12 AM »
Hey, you want the tapes, you gotta risk looking a little goofy. My wife almost couldn't stop laughing the first few times I sported the Kangol...I'm about as far from stylish as you can get. ;D
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 07:14:22 PM »
Hey, you want the tapes, you gotta risk looking a little goofy. My wife almost couldn't stop laughing the first few times I sported the Kangol...I'm about as far from stylish as you can get. ;D

HAHAHAAHA...

(quickly jumps on google to buya kangol)
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline strick9nineprod

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 04:18:38 PM »
i don't know about hats, at the venues around here they make you remove them and they inspect them before you get to enter, does this happen anywhere else i wonder?

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 04:23:51 PM »
Everyone wears hats in texas.  been into one bar in the past 5 yeas that has told me to take off my hat.  Didn't have a good time in there either.  
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com