Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Obtaining a Soundboard Patch  (Read 4043 times)

Offline nomorecrackpipes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Now Playing Your Soul
    • db.etree.org/nomorecrackpipes
Obtaining a Soundboard Patch
« on: April 22, 2004, 10:26:04 AM »
Hey all,

Long time live music listener, first time poster here.  I want to get into taping because I have the contacts to go to A LOT of shows, and I don't think a lot of shows are being recorded in Milwaukee.

Anyways, I'm going to a show this Saturday (Raveonettes) at a small club and just wondering for opinions on how to go about asking for a soundboard patch.  I only have a crappy MD recorder with a line in, that's why it has to be a SBD patch (I don't have other equipment right now).  I've emailed management but haven't received word yet, but there are a few SBDs circulating for the band and a recent AUD recording up at STG.

What would be a good way to approach the sound guy at the board and what time would be best?  The show starts at 10p with two opening bands.  Also, would you think the patch on the board is an XLR output or a quarter-inch output?  All the boards I've dealt with have been XLR, but those aren't live music boards.

Any help would be great!

jpschust

Re:Obtaining a Soundboard Patch
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:41:34 AM »
first off, bring every cable possible- there is a thread about what cables to have for patching somewhere.  second, get there before the first band if possible- plug in then and then dont bother the sound guy unless its to buy him a drink :-)  just be nice, ask, and be cool.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:45:06 AM »
one more thing, I have seen SBDs that have 1/4, RCA, and XLR...what I have is a XLR SBD cable and I have adapters to make that 1/4 or RCA based on what the situation calls for.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:48:59 AM »
Get permission from the band (in writing if possible)
Be extra nice to the sound guy offer a beer and a copy of the recording
Have cords about 10' so you can be out of the sound guys way
Carry every adaptor known to man (I've gotten xlr, 1/4" and rca off a board)
Never ask the sound guy for a cord or adaptor
Bring your own power
Never ask a sound guy to flip a tape or start your recording
Never say anything like "can I get a little more guitar?"
     Basically the sound guy shouldn't know you are there once the show starts, and he should know his help is appreciated.  Most of the sound guys I have met are cool people.  Just let them know that you know that they are doing you a favor!

+T to the new guy!

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 10:51:51 AM »
Hey, welcome aboard!  Here's what I would say:

First of all, and this is more general and not applicable to every specific tape, but sdb in a small club doesn't always work out the best, because stage volumes of the amplifiers are exteremely important in those settings.  So, for instance, let's say the guitarists rig is turned up really loud,  your recording will have less guitar (proportionally);   You will almost always get overloaded vocals.

That being said, it is still worth doing... so what I would do, if I were you, is have an assortment of cables, to be prepared for most situations- I think if you have a cable that is XLR-> 1/8", RCA -> 1/8", and 1/4" ->1/8", you would be pretty much prepared!

Hope this helps!
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nomorecrackpipes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Now Playing Your Soul
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 11:24:45 AM »
Thanks for the info, I'll make sure some of my cargo pants are clean for all the adapters.  I have a lot already, I'll just make sure I know where they are.  

A patch is my only option, for I've tried to record with a mic into the MD recorder and it never worked out.  I know what I'm doing with regards to recording it and not bothering the guy, I know they are doing a huge favor for me.  I'm fully anticipating a weird mixing of instruments because I've heard that the band is extremely bass-y for some reason live, though that's not the case on their album.  We'll see, I just need to get over this timid-ness and approach the guy and I should be fine.

Thanks again, and hopefully I can contribute some cool stuff.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 11:28:10 AM »
What type of music are they?
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 12:10:34 PM »
Be sure to offer the sound guy copies too. If you frequent the venue, always a good thing to get on the sound persons good side!!

jimmc

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 12:15:55 PM »
pfife,
+T for that avatar!!!!!

Jim

Offline nomorecrackpipes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Now Playing Your Soul
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 04:00:01 PM »
What type of music are they?

They're kind of a '60's garage rock type band.  I saw them last night opening for the Strokes, so I'm more than excited about seeing them again ... hopefully the recording thing happens.

Thanks again for all your help, hopefully I'll be able to contribute.

Offline nomorecrackpipes

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Now Playing Your Soul
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2004, 10:31:32 AM »
Hey guys,

Just a conclusion to the whole ordeal ... the sound guy kind of blew me off that night ("I don't think there's an output on this..." - yea, ok), but he was nice.  The sound guy working for the local bands said that they might not be too keen on the patch idea, and I didn't get a response from the band when I emailed them a few weeks ago.

Oh well, live and learn, hopefully I'll still be able to do this with some other bands.  Thanks again.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2004, 11:12:14 AM »
bummer... +t always worth the try!

As far as locals go, I always just ask them while they are setting up their gear... ask them if they mind if you record.  I have yet to have one say no...

A mixer not having output?!?

:lol:

that's pretty ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 11:14:03 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2004, 09:20:15 PM »
Oh well, live and learn, hopefully I'll still be able to do this with some other bands.

you should be able. my 1st & only patch went preaty good, sound man said as long as the bands were OK so was he. then sent me to the promoter, who said the same. David Hogan is a realy cool guy btw, if you're at one of his events, don't be afraid to track him down. he don't stay still long though, hell he was even setting up equipment. anyway i got all the first night, exept the first couple songs, because my dumb ass forgot to bring the tapes. they did pull my plug for Marshal Tucker though. keep trying, there's always another one.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 02:34:12 AM »
I saw the Raisenettes or whatever tonight opening for The Strokes and never wishes for temporary hearing impairment in my life.  Terrible.

Offline phishmarisol

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team MP3 Baby
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 11:33:36 AM »
Try to talk to the band face to face before the gig if possible.  Usually that will really help you get a patch if they aren't into it.  But I have even been turned away by a soundguy when the band was down...just like everyone else in life...85%  cool people, 15% assholes.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 4.023 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com