Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5-VS-AD-20&PS-2  (Read 1422 times)

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
UA-5-VS-AD-20&PS-2
« on: May 02, 2004, 07:38:30 PM »

I was lookin' for a preamp and phantom power for my JB3 and was checkin' out both models prices and features. I have come to the inclusion that the UA-5 has better features for me (plenty of knobs, built in phantom power, etc), cheaper price, and by the way size doesn't matter. I only go to taper friendly shows and for the savings I could invest in a little better mics (sp-cm4 or better). I was wonderin' how easy it would be to mod a UA-5 myself to run on a NiMH rechargeable battery pack and if I could how much would this run @ ratshack ? Also can you use a UA-5 to patch from a DAT,SDB, or other JB3? It sure looks like you could and this surely would sale me on the UA-5. Also I was wonderin' if the changable element mid price mics (cm-4) from Sound Pro improve quite a bit w/ phantom power?

http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re:UA-5-VS-AD-20&PS-2
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 08:01:39 PM »
I know nothing about your mics, but as a general rule, power makes a huge difference.  As for the ua-5, it is a wonderful unit.  IMHO hands down better that the denecke unless size IS an issue.  I have'nt heard too much talk on the sonic quailty differences of the two, but as for cost, features, and being upgradeable, the ua-5 is head and shoulders above the denecke.  You can do the mod yourself, but I'vbe heard of more than one who screwed it up.  It will save you money off the bat, but it takes away your options for having it upgraded l;ater from oade.  If you buy directly from oade (295) you get a warranty, and the ability to upgrade the preamp section at a later date.
     As for the battery situation, for about $70 you can get a charger 2 9.6v 3000mAh airsoft batts from www.batteryspace.com and a couple of connectors from radio shack.  This will allow you to run the ua-5 for 12+ hours or the ua-5 and jb3 (with about $20 more in adaptors) for 6-9 hours.  Great for a festival, or just extra peice of mind. It is easy to do and no soldiering required.  If you get the ua-5 there are plenty of people here who can help you with the battery thing... many have done it so just post again or search the archives.  If you decide to try a digimod yourself on the ua-5, there are directions at www.nickspicks.com (one of our more handy, diy proficient member's website) and you should be able to get all the info you need there.  Good Luck & +T for stopping in the right place!

Matt
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 08:02:06 PM by mmmatt »
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com