Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4  (Read 29797 times)

Offline yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • made with natural flavor
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 4
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2018, 10:39:08 PM »
^^Although it probably doesn't matter....  I personally think that it makes sense to buy SD equipment from Full Compass since they are both WI based companies.   :coolguy:
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #346 on: May 07, 2018, 11:43:53 AM »
^^Although it probably doesn't matter....  I personally think that it makes sense to buy SD equipment from Full Compass since they are both WI based companies.   :coolguy:

Full Compass knows which way is north.

Offline checht

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mule Team
« Reply #347 on: May 07, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »
First field use of the MP-3 Saturday night; went very well, and made a great recording.

Many thanks to all who contributed great info that allowed me to utilize all that the recorder offers.

Love the ability to run safety tracks!

~Chris
Old and in the Way

Schoeps MSTC64g, Shure MV-88
Schoeps KCY 250/5
Naiant IPA, PFA 60v
Sound Devices MP-3, Fostex FR-2 (Oade warm mod), iPad 5g, Tascam DR-2D

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #348 on: May 07, 2018, 05:19:34 PM »
^ How did you get safety tracks?  Is that an addition in the latest firmware update?

Offline checht

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mule Team
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2018, 06:42:33 PM »
^ How did you get safety tracks?  Is that an addition in the latest firmware update?

Here's some of my notes copied from this thread:

To use the mixpre the way tapers are used to using "recorders," do the following:

In "System" set the mode to Custom.
In "Custom Setup" set "Gain" to "Basic" and "Channel" to "Advanced."

Users wanting to link inputs, but control all levels from the front-panel Channel
1 knob should set System > Mode to Custom and then in Custom Setup, set
Gain to Basic and Channel to Advanced.

Now you can set up safeties.

Duncan’s 2 channel safety method:
Set iso’s to 16 in the menus and then have the mix track recording at a lower db as safety track, with channels linked so you can control the mix track db with the 1st knob and the balance with the 2nd.

My variation:
I set my iso’s low, and run the mix track hotter. Therefor, I set the main tracks to have 6-12 dB headroom depending on the type of music you're recording, safeties (iso’s) 10db down.

I think I've got this all correct, would be great if others could provide feedback/corrections.
Old and in the Way

Schoeps KCY 250/5
Naiant IPA, PFA 60v

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
^ Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking I missed something with the new firmware (I haven't updated yet, as I heard there are some bugs).

For what it's worth, neither of those methods work in advanced mode. The fader gain is digital, so, in the first case (mix lower), if you clip the ISOs, the mix will be a clipped recording at a lower level (i.e. brickwalled). In the second case (mix higher), there is no benefit (unless the digital gain on the recorder sounds better than the gain from your DAW, I suppose). I have tested this and am pretty certain about it. I think I still have the files; if you are interested, I can post pictures of the waveforms.

Like I said, that is in advanced mode. The whole gain situation in custom mode is a little murkier (in personal correspondence, they provided some details, but not enough to really figure it out; they claim some secret sauce in there), so maybe it works differently. I would hesitate to rely on it without a little testing, though.

Offline checht

• Taperssection Regular
  • Mule Team
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2018, 11:08:29 AM »
^ Great point, I guess I'll just run ISO's, and keep them lowish.
Old and in the Way

Schoeps KCY 250/5
Naiant IPA, PFA 60v

Online dallman

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2018, 02:40:56 PM »
^ Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking I missed something with the new firmware (I haven't updated yet, as I heard there are some bugs).

For what it's worth, neither of those methods work in advanced mode. The fader gain is digital, so, in the first case (mix lower), if you clip the ISOs, the mix will be a clipped recording at a lower level (i.e. brickwalled). In the second case (mix higher), there is no benefit (unless the digital gain on the recorder sounds better than the gain from your DAW, I suppose). I have tested this and am pretty certain about it. I think I still have the files; if you are interested, I can post pictures of the waveforms.

Like I said, that is in advanced mode. The whole gain situation in custom mode is a little murkier (in personal correspondence, they provided some details, but not enough to really figure it out; they claim some secret sauce in there), so maybe it works differently. I would hesitate to rely on it without a little testing, though.

I agree, using the mix track as a safety would not work, because the mix is pulling from the ISO tracks and if they are distorting, than the mix no matter how low will have a quieter distorted track.
FWIW the new Firmware 2.10 is really good. I have run lots of shows with it and had no issues at all. Better graphics with more information, some menus also have more information with 6 windows versus 4, but they still are really easy t access so less switching between menus. There was a flaw in 1.52 that caused me to not try that version but 1.53 fixed it and no issues since, I really like 2.10.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:18:00 PM by dallman »
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.184 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2018 Taperssection.com