Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F1 recorder  (Read 21170 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Zoom F1 recorder
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Looking at the features and the overall user interface, this looks rather like a Zoom H1N repackaged for a different use case.

Offline IronFilm

• Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:57:53 AM »
Well that fact it is branded as "F series" is meant to indicate it has a bit more processing power behind it than say an H1 would. So perhaps future firmware updates might bring good news?

But while it lacks TC, it doesn't really seem worthy of the "F series" naming in my eyes.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:58 AM »
What I  mean is, the key features it shares with the H1N (not the original H1, the new one) are as follows -

Two-channel audio recorder
    Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio
    Broadcast WAV format (BWF)—files are automatically time-stamped
    1.25" monochromatic LCD display can be read under bright light
    Stereo 1/8" mic/line input jack with plug-in power (2.5V)
    Stereo 1/8" phone/line output jack with dedicated volume control
    Built-in limiter and auto level control to avoid clipping
    Low-cut filter
    Pre-Record function
    Tone generator for calibrating audio levels between the F1 and a camera
    Sound marker function outputs quick tone for syncing audio and video
    Micro-USB port for data exchange to and from computer
    Use as an audio interface to record directly to your computer or iOS device
    Runs on two standard AAA alkaline, Lithium, or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AD-17 AC adapter (available separately)
    Up to 10 hours of operation with alkaline batteries (when using lavalier)

Card capacity and recording formats are also identical.

Features unique to the F1 are all related to the physical design -

Includes windscreen, belt clip, mic clip
    Includes LMF-1 omnidirectional lavalier microphone
    Lightweight and low-profile design—attaches to belts and waistbands, or fits inside pockets without being seen
    Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules

Now whether the audio internals are significantly different I can't tell from the available specs, but they may well have simply used the H1N internals lock stock and barrel to minimise production costs.  If so, you are paying a fair bit extra for the form factor - which of course may well be something you value.

Offline Psinka

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2018, 02:56:37 AM »
Got mine F1-LP couple days ago  ;D
It's damn small!!! Will test it tomorrow on gig with AT943  >:D

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2018, 11:01:56 AM »
I'm looking forward to more first-hand information about this thing. Just out of curiosity, are you running the 943s straight into the F1, or will you be using some kind of battery box or preamp?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2018, 12:44:07 PM »
I'm looking forward to more first-hand information about this thing. Just out of curiosity, are you running the 943s straight into the F1, or will you be using some kind of battery box or preamp?
I like the deck a great deal. And while I see it for me primarily in a low pro situation, I recently had a chance to see it and use it out in the open. It was really nice and easy to use. What I do not like, is that the gain adjustments are incremental and it cycles up and after the highest, goes back to the lowest. That said I can easily work around it now that open testing has given me a feel for it's abilities.
https://archive.org/details/um2018-03-17.akg481.flac16
As for running mics in without a preamp or battery box, the deck supplies 2.5v of plug in power. I'd always use some external powering, as I would on any PIP deck.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline heathen

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2018, 12:52:27 PM »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 10:31:02 AM »

It's not so important gig and i will use only F1 and AT943 without bbox or preamp.

Offline heathen

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
It's not so important gig and i will use only F1 and AT943 without bbox or preamp.

Could you switch to using a BB/pre halfway through so there's a useful comp of how the F1 performs with/without BB/pre?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2018, 01:21:48 PM »
I like the deck a great deal. And while I see it for me primarily in a low pro situation, I recently had a chance to see it and use it out in the open. It was really nice and easy to use. What I do not like, is that the gain adjustments are incremental and it cycles up and after the highest, goes back to the lowest. That said I can easily work around it now that open testing has given me a feel for it's abilities.
https://archive.org/details/um2018-03-17.akg481.flac16
As for running mics in without a preamp or battery box, the deck supplies 2.5v of plug in power. I'd always use some external powering, as I would on any PIP deck.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »
Could you switch to using a BB/pre halfway through so there's a useful comp of how the F1 performs with/without BB/pre?

Not this time :-(
My settings on F1 was 24/48 and reс level "norm". For At943 with 4.7k mod it's too low...
Unfortunately there was no other bands and i can't test settings on them.
Here small part of my record http://megamozg.us/F1.wav - added about 15db

In next 10 days i will go on another gig where i can test different settings with and without bbox.

Offline HJD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
This is a compelling little recorder, especially for use with a lavalier. I think I'm going to pick one up :) I like that it works with Zoom's different microphone capsules and the XLR attachment. I just wish it were also capable of overdubbing as that would make it even more versatile and appealing to me. Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.

Offline HJD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »
By the way, does anyone know if the F1 will record line level signals via the optional XLR/TRS module?

Offline Psinka

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Megamozg Team
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 02:07:01 AM »
By the way, does anyone know if the F1 will record line level signals via the optional XLR/TRS module?

According to Zoom's specification F1 compatible with all interchangeable modules

Offline HJD

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 07:35:10 AM »

According to Zoom's specification F1 compatible with all interchangeable modules

Thanks for your reply Psinka!  :) Yes, that's what I understand as well. I asked because when I glanced through the F1 user manual I couldn't find anything about recording line level signals. I found the manual here: https://www.zoom-na.com/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1.pdf
I don't have much experience recording line level signals, but, as I understand it, on some recorders you have to choose between microphone or line level signals on a switch or in a menu while on others the XLR part of the combo jacks are microphone level while the TRS part is for line level. So perhaps by using the TRS input on Zoom XLR-module the F1 will record a line level signal? If anyone could confirm this I'd be glad to hear from you. Thanks in advance!  :)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com