Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Storage containers for pencil mics - sources and sizes  (Read 10774 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Storage containers for pencil mics - sources and sizes
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »
^ Thanks! That was helpful. I was afraid that if the 20mm had a kind of loose fit, the 19mm might be even worse (although it is only about 1/25th of an inch difference). Especially with something slightly compressible in the ends, it should keep things from moving around too much.

With that in mind, I went ahead and placed an order only to receive this response:

Quote from: McMaster-Carr
Thank you for considering McMaster-Carr for your purchase.  However, we will not accept orders from your facility due to the cost of complying with US export regulations.

Sigh. I must admit I am pretty surprised, as I order stuff from the States all the time. As long as I am willing to absorb the added costs, it has never been a problem.  Oh, well. I will be over there in mid-July, so maybe I will try to get some delivered to my hotel...

That's really unfortunate.  I'm surprised that an operation of that size will not do international orders.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »
I ordered some of the 0.87" tubes for my 480s. I'll update on the fit after I get them.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 12:12:19 AM »
^ Thanks! That was helpful. I was afraid that if the 20mm had a kind of loose fit, the 19mm might be even worse (although it is only about 1/25th of an inch difference). Especially with something slightly compressible in the ends, it should keep things from moving around too much.

With that in mind, I went ahead and placed an order only to receive this response:

Quote from: McMaster-Carr
Thank you for considering McMaster-Carr for your purchase.  However, we will not accept orders from your facility due to the cost of complying with US export regulations.

Sigh. I must admit I am pretty surprised, as I order stuff from the States all the time. As long as I am willing to absorb the added costs, it has never been a problem.  Oh, well. I will be over there in mid-July, so maybe I will try to get some delivered to my hotel...

That's really unfortunate.  I'm surprised that an operation of that size will not do international orders.

@aaronji: I've ordered some shipping tubes for my matched pair of Soyuz SU-013M-B from a supplier here in Europe. Apparently, these tubes are also available in various shapes and sizes. Give it a try.

https://www.rose-plastic.de/products/plastic-packaging-tubes/twistpack/

Offline DavidPuddy

• Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2019, 01:52:02 PM »
I ordered some of the 0.87" tubes for my 480s. I'll update on the fit after I get them.

Wow you guys weren't kidding about how fast McMaster Carr is. I ordered the tubes yesterday and they just arrived.

The 0.87" 5-8" tubes fit the 460s and 480s very well with no movement.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2019, 05:48:49 PM »

No doubt. I was also really surprised. To be honest, when I saw the e-mail from them, I was certain it would say, "We will need to assess a $20 shipping charge for your $5 purchase request. Do you approve?" I definitely didn't expect them to cancel my order.

aaronji, If you wanted, I could forward them to you. PM me if you would like to go that route. It only took a couple of days for mine to arrive.  Probably another week to get from W.V. to your location.

That's very generous of you; thank you very much! More evidence (if it's needed) that taperssection is one of the rare true communities on the web. I am going to try to find something from if_then_else's source on this side of the pond, but I will definitely be in touch if it doesn't work out!

@aaronji: I've ordered some shipping tubes for my matched pair of Soyuz SU-013M-B from a supplier here in Europe. Apparently, these tubes are also available in various shapes and sizes. Give it a try.

Thank you very much as well! Did you buy them from a retailer of some sort (and do you have a link)? I went to that site and could only order a couple of thousand pieces, which is kind of overkill! They look perfect, though...

Offline if_then_else

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2019, 12:03:55 AM »

Thank you very much as well! Did you buy them from a retailer of some sort (and do you have a link)? I went to that site and could only order a couple of thousand pieces, which is kind of overkill! They look perfect, though...

Some (but not all sizes) of the Rose Plastic shipping tubes are also available via Amazon. I picked up the Ø 30 x 120-200 mm version for the Soyuz mics.

EDIT: Looks like they're also availabe in smaller quantities and various sizes from https://www.sichtboxen.com/boxen-und-kisten/drehpack/ and https://www.modulor.de/en/drehpack-plastic-transport-tubes-120-200-pp-clear.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:41:32 PM by if_then_else »

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2019, 06:43:11 PM »
^ Thanks for all of your help. Neither of those places has the size I am looking for, unfortunately. I found a Swiss retailer that has what I want; they have a minimum order of 10 pieces, but, at 0.9 CHF each, I figured what the heck. Turns out they only ship to Switzerland and Lichtenstein. Looks like I will either take wvmaine up on his offer or have some shipped to my US hotel in a couple of weeks (if McMaster-Carr will do that; I e-mailed them already to inquire).

Offline lsd2525

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2019, 11:17:39 AM »
McMaster-Carr needs to start paying Voltronic a commission  :cheers:
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2019, 12:53:28 PM »
McMaster-Carr needs to start paying Voltronic a commission  :cheers:

I would gladly accept.

Honestly I don't know if I found these myself, or if someone else here recommended them to me.  I try my best to give credit where it's due on interesting gear scores, such as DigiGal with the STX Essentials lacrosse stick bag for the 1004BAC stand.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.163 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com