Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SE microphones. Anyone ever buy them or use the?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline deadphishin420

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
SE microphones. Anyone ever buy them or use the?
« on: July 15, 2019, 07:25:26 PM »
I was thinking of picking these up. The reviews all seem to say they’re just as good as a 1500$ set of Newman’s. Does anyone have any feedback on using them??

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/sE8P--se-electronics-se8-stereo-pair
Akg 391(hyper & shotgun cards)->UA5->R09HR

Offline DavidPuddy

• (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: SE microphones. Anyone ever buy them or use the?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:24:07 PM »
I haven't used them but I think that they sound good for $500. However, you can now get a set of AKG 461s for about a hundred bucks more if you keep a look out (if AKG flavor is your thing).
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:30:31 PM by beegar »
Mics: nbobs/480+ck61/62/63; C568EB; MKE2
Recorders: MP6; A10

Offline Sonus Captor

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 09:46:40 AM »
Hi everyone,

I bought a stereo pair of sE8's after a short comparative test with my NT5's.
The mic pairs were in EBS configuration and about 80 cm away from an acoustic guitar.
The gain was adjusted to give approximately the same loudness.
We (4 people) listened over closed headphones and all prefered the sE8's
for their warmer, more detailed and crisper, but not harsh sound.

After recording a blues song (acoustic guitar, vocals, blues harp) with the se8's
I think they are clearly more musical than the NT5's.

Unlike the Rodes the sE8's don't start rolling off under 300Hz, they are just 1dB down at 30Hz.
I can say more after additional tests.

Here you can listen to the sE8's compared to KM184's, MK112's & an SM57:

https://www.soundandrecording.de/equipment/se-electronics-se8-kleinmembran-kondensatormikrofone-im-test/
https://www.bonedo.de/artikel/einzelansicht/se-electronics-se8-mikrofon-test/2.html

Sonus Captor

Offline illconditioned

• (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 02:06:59 AM »

Somebody in the YS is selling a pair of Beyerdynamic MC930 for $650, about $100-$150 less than the street price.

If you can step up to that level, you will not be disappointed.

I just listened to the comparison between SE8 and Octava.Both sound pretty good (on headphones).
I wonder how MC930 compare to this.
Everyone has an opinion ... but many people love the Beyers ...

Regardless of your choice, welcome to the section :)
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • (16)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 06:22:45 AM »
Resurrecting this thread cuz I saw this in the wild last week. The FOH tech was enthusiastically endorsing these ribbon mics as drum overheads and cabinet mics. Was not at all worried about "ribbon horror" stories as apparently this new tech is more forgiving and for the price you prolly can't beat them as entry to the ribbon sound. I want one or two if things ever return to normal.  :angry3:  Keeping in mind that these are essentially fixed fig 8 patterns, still... they're ribbons.  :headphones:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 06:26:03 AM by Ben Turnbull »
Not seeing any shows now (thanks Covid)... None at The Fine Line.
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
I'm a Mask-debator, at least till I get glasses. GOHCQC 2 + 2 = 4
Official Archivist (on hold) for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/AT4051a/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/SD MixPre-D/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline morst

• (2)
  • I condemn racism and fascism. SCotUS is important.
    • #twitterSUCKS
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 12:26:16 PM »
Keeping in mind that these are essentially fixed fig 8 patterns, still... they're ribbons.
from sweetwaters website:

"Unless designed otherwise, all ribbon mics are naturally bidirectional, giving them a figure-8 polar pattern. The reason for this is that sound waves arriving from the side of the thin ribbon element won't cause it to move at all, since the pressure on both sides of the ribbon is identical"
seriously, VOTE!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • (35)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
"unless designed otherwise" is a pretty powerful escape clause. Wielding that weapon, the same could be said about condenser microphones or moving-coil (i.e. conventional, non-ribbon) dynamic microphones.

I mean, unless designed otherwise, every building is the Chrysler Building in Manhattan, no?

What I would say instead is, it's simplest and easiest to construct a ribbon microphone as a figure-8, and specific acoustical adaptations are required if you want to obtain any other pattern.

However, those can be quite successful. I once owned a pair of Beyer M 160 hypercardioids, and if there hadn't been severe RFI problems with them (they put out ~1/10 the signal levels of condenser microphones and by their basic design, are highly responsive to magnetic fields), I think I could have kept them around for a while. For relatively close-miked vocals, sometimes you don't want too high a degree of detail. But in general the high frequency response of ribbon figure-8s is severely restricted, e.g. 8 to at most 10 or 11 kHz seems to be the general upper limit. There's a reason why the heyday of ribbon microphones ended when FM broadcasting began. (I could get into talking about nostalgia, World War II vs. the 1950s and 60s, and Bing Crosby vs. Frank Sinatra ...)

Condenser figure-8s are better, but as far as high-frequency response is concerned they're the worst among condensers; single-diaphragm condenser figure-8s typically go only about 1/3 octave higher up than the best ribbons, and that's restrictive enough for me! Unless they use built-in equalization like Sennheiser's do--but then that can be applied to any figure-8. Or unless they create the figure-8 pattern by facing one cardioid forward, and subtracting another, rear-facing cardioid from it (or adding in inverse polarity); that can work--Neumann and Sennheiser have both offered small-diaphragm, multi-pattern microphones that have worked that way.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:30:49 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • (16)
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »
Thanks for all the extra insight as always. These sE mic versions have some "magic" tech that wrangles the pixies around and brings them into the 20hz-18khz range, if your discussion was intended to serve as a reservation on their utility. Oh, and they're a Chines build if that's an issue for anyone... I'm still deciding on that issue.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:14:11 PM by Ben Turnbull »
Not seeing any shows now (thanks Covid)... None at The Fine Line.
Read "Toward the End of Time" by Updike to know my name sake.
I'm a Mask-debator, at least till I get glasses. GOHCQC 2 + 2 = 4
Official Archivist (on hold) for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/AT4051a/ADK A51s/Countryman B3/ATes943/SPc4(och)/S'lux s502... >
TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/SD MixPre-D/T+mod UA5 needs attention

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com