Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Speaker restoration  (Read 205 times)

Offline kindms

• (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
TSKB: Speaker restoration
« on: November 16, 2020, 01:23:47 PM »
So rocksuitcase has a pair of these Altec Lansing speakers

Pretty sure these are 310 or 312

Any way I have built a kit before but have never done any refoaming or etc. Anyone with some tips on where to start ? Do they look like they can be salvaged or would just reusing the cabinets be worthwhile / better ?

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • (15)
  • Gunther Theile nailed it!
Re: TSKB: Speaker restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 02:06:10 PM »
Looks to be an early 80's era speaker that was in production through the early 90's- http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1993-pro/1993-37.JPG

Refoaming is pretty easy, or at least it was when I last did it 25 years ago to fix a pair of mid 80's era Infinity's (Infinities?).  Might be worth trying that just to get a taste of how they are before making the decision to go further or not.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline rocksuitcase

• (2)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 09:45:34 PM »
Thanks kindms and gut.
we received four these from Altec Lansing in 1986 as part of our deal to research hoping to manufacture our surround sound effects processor. They were used at the time for side or rear speakers in early theater Dolby arrays. They were part of our research, then my stereo for another ten years. Had been sitting in grandma's attic for years. We used to power them with Crest Amps....yum
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • (15)
  • Gunther Theile nailed it!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
Don't mean to take the thread too OT, but I'd love to hear more about that surround sound processor.

I had a Yamaha DSP1 in the mid/late 80's and used it for all kinds of interesting stuff.  As one of the first general outboard DSP boxes it suffered something of an identity crisis, being partly targeted at hifi ambience extraction and recreation, partly at early pre PLII era Dolby Surround, and partly at effects for musicians and mixing.  It had four outputs which could be used to feed speakers placed in the upper corners of the room, and an accompanying 4 channel power amplifier.  It didn't have much bit resolution and had a rather high noise floor, but the algorithms were very good for the time.  I'd use it for music making mostly as a 4ch Lexicon type verb, 3d swirly phaser/flanger guitar and organ effects, and vocal chorusing/pitch-changing stuff.  It was great fun at parties, switching roles between eye-opening unexpected mind-expansion of whatever music was playing (it was predecessor to the later ubiquitous and generally terrible "hall" preset modes built-in to home theater receivers, except way better implemented) which would morph into panning and swirling our own jams all around the room.  After a day's field trip out to the cow pastures, later totally displaced by housing developments, we'd come home, boil up some tea, open all the windows and let the music diffuse out into the thick air of a warm summer night.  Good times.

As I recall, the modulated pitch-changer in combination with a cheap DAK digital delay unit in a loop-back arrangement was capable of forming a vortex that could cause the floor to dissolve away revealing a bottomless cavern reaching all the way down to the center of the earth.  It took a fine hand on the controls to ease intrepid travelers safely back to the surface without subjecting them to too much psychic-g-force.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com