Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ambient sound & Jecklin disc for quad?  (Read 218 times)

Offline m326

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Ambient sound & Jecklin disc for quad?
« on: November 21, 2020, 06:47:50 AM »
Hi all, I know what end result I want - but I don't know how to get there.

Let me explain.. I like relaxation recordings, especially nature based ones but often the music puts me off. I want to be able to record my own nature sounds with the idea of having random bird calls from various places in the room, a rustling in the leaves here and there, an animal scampering... you get the idea. Quiet and peaceful, no music & no dogs barking!

With my Dr100 I have made some progress with dual stereo recordings, Reaper is set up for 5.1 audio - but only using 4 channels. The resulting .wav file is then converted to .mp4 which then gets copied to my NAS and played through Plex to my Sonos PlayBar & 2 surround speakers. Not an ideal process or setup for outputting small signals. I would really like to have more discreet speakers placed further apart, any opinions or alternative (budget conscious) hardware recommendations on this?

I have made a Jeckin Disc which seems to work well for me with good stereo separation using a pair of EM172 omni's.

This Christmas I'm getting a Zoom F6 recorder and am contemplating getting a set of 4 matched EM272 XLR microphones. Beings the Jecklin Disc was successful, has anyone tried to make a quad version of it? It seems to be an obvious thing to try - or are there better solutions out there?
I would think that, looking downwards onto the discs & seeing a cross, the microphones would need to be located much more centrally and perhaps because of this, the discs need not be so big? In my current disc, the mic supports are removable which means it packs flat, a quad version would be much bulkier and wind noise protection will add further to this, perhaps reducing portability.

Thanks in advance for your comments and help, I'm fairly new to the audio scene.. technical wavelengths go straight through my skull  ;)

Offline heathen

• (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Ambient sound & Jecklin disc for quad?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »
It seems like you're asking about playback setups and recording setups.  I'm pretty much just a two channel stereo guy when it comes to playback so I can't be much help there.  With regard to the recording setup, have you considered an ambisonic microphone?  If the Zoom F6 has an ambisonic mode like the F8, then something like the Sennheiser ambisonic mic would be a nice fit because the Zoom ambisonic mode is specifically designed to work with the Sennheiser mic ( it will also work with other ambisonic mics, though some mics like the Core Sound TetraMic don't let you take full advantage of the Zoom ambisonic mode capabilities).

For multiple mic setups, maybe look into things like IRT Cross and other arrays specifically intended for capturing ambience.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 | CA-14 omni Pres: CA9200 | DPA d:vice Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline m326

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 04:01:29 AM »
Thanks for your reply heathen.
Although ideal, the Sennheiser mic is way out of my budget. The IRT cross idea is something I will research.. but again cost of mics for what is an occasional hobby idea would be a limiting factor, hence my more DIY approach.

Offline kuba e

• Site Supporter
  • (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 09:53:47 AM »
I like primo Em172. I think they are great for nature recordings. I don't know if you have another use for FX6. If you only use it with Em172, maybe a Tascam Dr2d + Church audio preamp would suffice.

It is good idea to use four baffled omnis.  EDIT: Cross baffle with omnis in the corners is good idea. It should be similar to four coincident directional microphones. Also when the omni is placed in a corner, the direct/reverberant sound ratio increase and also the S/N ratio increase (the directivity and the improvement is only for frequencies where the baffle works). It's nicely explained by Gutbucket here https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=186619.0
A baffle as a four sides box should be also good. When you use a box, you introduce a time difference into the signals.
The smaller the baffle, the higher frequencies will get around it. The larger the baffle, the lower frequencies are blocked and also, in the case of a box, the greater the time difference.

Wait if Gutbucket joins. He experimented with 4 baffled microphones and also his oddball technique is very similar to it. I think he is also one of the few here who has done recordings for surround playback. Once, when I was inspired by Gutbucket and his oddball microphone technique, I pinned 4 microphones on me - a pair on the my shoulders, one center forward, one center backward. It was at a concert. But I wasn't in a good place, the microphones on the shoulders hadn't enough separation to create space for mixing in the center microphones (I am mixing only for stereo playback). But I would like to try 4 baffled microphones again. I need to get some bigger inconspicuous box.

Oddball microphone technique:https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=191953.0
I can't find it now, but I know that someone sent a picture from a recording studio - a large box of transparent plastic that served as a baffle, with musicians sitting around.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 07:26:59 AM by kuba e »

Offline m326

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: Today at 04:32:07 AM »
Seems the EM172 stocks are depleted now, EM272 being an almost direct replacement.
I originally bought a Clippy EM172 stereo pair with 3.5mm jack plug and was quite impressed by them so when I bought my DR100 I got a XLR pair of 172's with XLR.. another improvement in sound.
The F6 has been purchased and wrapped for Christmas - so no changing that now. Must admit though, I'm a bit concerned about the reports that say the DR100 has quieter preamps.

Thanks for the info and links, I'm trying to take it all in.
Over the holiday period I'm going to make and try a cross baffle, I have all I need for it but I need to think of a way to make it fold flat for more portability.. 3D printer to the rescue no doubt.

Offline kuba e

• Site Supporter
  • (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: Today at 10:18:10 AM »
I was only thinking theoretically. I have no experience with that. The box (or better a sphere) is fine. The cross may have unwanted reflections. Try waiting for someone to advise more.

You have a very nice present for Christmas!
« Last Edit: Today at 10:39:57 AM by kuba e »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2020 Taperssection.com