Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best practices for matching a microphone: akg 451E content  (Read 433 times)

Offline Elguapo511

• (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Best practices for matching a microphone: akg 451E content
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:19:28 PM »
Aloha friends,

I randomly acquired an akg 451e that was attached to a broken akg pre amp.  Pre amp totally dead, but the mic is loud and clear.

At this point this is the best mic i have, so i should probably try to make a stereo pair.

Any tips on matching?  Are they all the same?  Are they different based on the year made?  Were these sold as pairs and is it possible to find its exact mate?

Is it even worth the effort?  Seems like a quality mic.

Thanks all!

Offline rocksuitcase

• (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Best practices for matching a microphone: akg 451E content
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 12:44:11 AM »
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline bluegrass_brad

• (5)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 08:14:29 AM »
My understanding is that AKG did not factory match back then (although you can buy the new AKG mics in factory matched pairs, including the much inferior C451B). I heard that their reasoning was that their quality control was so good that they would all be close. That is second hand info, so I cannot confirm that.

Earlier in the year I bought a group of 10 C451EB's and tested each with white noise just to see how close they were. Same spot, same source. Not a perfect test, but worthwhile to help my curiosity. I tested each body using the same CK1, then tested them each with their own CK1. There were variances, but all were pretty close. I was actually pretty impressed since they were all around 40 years old.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 08:20:30 AM by bluegrass_brad »
"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?  You couldn't walk into a mall and get your little pussy pierced, and your little Doc Martin boots and your crazy color for your hair.  You walk down the street with blue hair you was gonna get in a fight with about 5 angry construction workers, or the local college football team, rednecks or cops. Sometimes they kicked our ass, but you know what?  Sometimes we beat the fuck out of em"  - Mike Ness, Social Distortion

Offline Elguapo511

• (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 12:18:08 PM »
Thanks.

Anyone have one for sale or trade?   Guess ill check the ys.

Offline rocksuitcase

• (3)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 12:41:52 PM »
I'd like to apologize for linking you to a 451B, as opposed to 451e. Otherwise, good luck and THANKS to bluegrass_brad for his explanatory.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI

Offline Elguapo511

• (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 04:35:31 PM »
Appreciate it.

Looks like i might just go mono for a bit.  Not seeing what im looking for. And hard to match up wothout hearing them A/B of course

Offline goodcooker

• (38)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 12:05:24 PM »
It is worth trying to find another of these. They are great mics and are useful in a lot of recording situations.

I had a pair that I cobbled together as individual pieces years ago and while they weren't matched and were a few dB off from each other they worked well as a stereo pair.
Joly Mod Oktava MK012 || NakCM300 || ADK A51 > Sound Devices 442 || Reference Audio Designs MS2 > Tascam DR701d || Zoom F6
Transfers - Tascam DA30 or Fostex D5 (dats) or Nak MR2 (cassettes) > Sound Devices USB Pre

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2021 Taperssection.com