Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording with an android smartphone  (Read 202 times)

Offline meursault

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Recording with an android smartphone
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:31:25 PM »
Hello to all.
I have recorded some acoustic concerts with my Sony xz1 with decent results. Now that my phone is dead I wonder if there are any recommendations for an android phone (preferably) to use for audio recordings without external mics. Thank you.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Gunther Theile nailed it!
Re: Recording with an android smartphone
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 06:41:35 PM »
Get external mics, even if simply in the form of an attachment that plugs directly into the USB port, making it essentially a part of the phone.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<<

Offline meursault

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 06:53:11 PM »
Thank you for your reply but I am looking for recommendations for smartphones alone.
I know they are inferior, i just want to know the best among them.

Offline voltronic

• (34)
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 07:22:23 PM »
A friend has the earlier iOS version of this and it works quite well. It is the only device of this type I have heard that gives decent results, though still not as good as "real" separate mics with a preamp/DAC feeding your phone.

https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/mv88plus
DPA 4061 ~ Line Audio CM3 ~ Naiant X-Q ~ AT 853  |  Naiant PFAs ~ Shure FP24  |  Zoom F6 ~ Sony PCM-M10
MOTU M2 ~ KRK Rokit RP5 ~ Sennheiser HD 650 ~ Etymotic ER4XR

Team Line Audio

Offline Ozpeter

• (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 08:07:10 PM »
Last year I was watching a video about someone buying a new camera and I was very impressed with the sound of the part of the video which was recorded just on their phone. 

After a happy half hour trying to find it in my watch history - here it is.  https://youtu.be/xZoPCUAE3vk?t=148  I suggest you watch from that point through to where they start showing footage from their new camera.  Where there is live audio it seems to me to be very stereo.

I asked them at the time what phone they used and the replied "Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 pro" - and they didn't say they had an external mic connected to it.  But you could ask them to confirm that using the video comments yourself.  I can't find any confirmation online that it has stereo mics.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• (9)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 12:41:17 PM »
I have a Pixel 3XL and think the audio is pretty decent for a phone. Not sure if the newest Pixels are equally good.

I'd definitely would prefer external mics (If you can find the Sennheisers in my sig + a iPod you will make a much better recording), but I'd rather have the audio from the Pixel than nothing (and there would be a point in quality where I'd rather have nothing).

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ DPA 4080 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 ~ Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | Sony M10 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline meursault

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:57:47 PM »
After a happy half hour trying to find it in my watch history - here it is...

I'm sorry you spent all this time, thank you!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2021 Taperssection.com