Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First Rig  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Cleokatrah

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • What mouse?
First Rig
« on: June 12, 2004, 12:02:38 PM »
So I think I'm going to start with a Nomad after all. After reading the faq for about the sixth time, they don't seem as complicated as they first appeared to be. For mics I'm considering core sound's stealth cardoid or the at853s that Jon reccomened. As for the rest, I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed. Will I want to add phantom power to the mics and will I need a batt box? I'm assuming yes for at least the latter. I know the AC20s are popular with the NB3 but I will add that later on. For now I will just figure out what I'm doing ^_~

I'm hoping to have at least a passable stealth rig by september at the latest. A little birdie told me Kenny Wayne Shepherd is releasing a cd in September and there will be a full scale tour to go along with it so I foresee a spasm of temporary groupiness somewhere in my near future and I will want to be taping it. :) Any advice (on the rig, not the spasms) is helpful, of course.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: First Rig
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 12:25:04 PM »
i am nott too good on stealth mics, but i would say you would want either the at mics w/ a battery box at the very least, and maybe one w/ a bass rolloff!!

a step up is phantom power because the voltage is stepped up, this helps the mics in mnay ways, it extends their spl's and their freq response too i believe!

also, they can be powered thru many higher end devices w/ phantom!!

but at mics>battbox w/ rolloff>jb3 will sound just fine for ya for now i bet!

maybe add an ad-20 later on and start doing your digital thing, w/ the optical out from the ad-20 into the optical in to the jb3!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 12:45:58 PM »
I have an AD-20 that is mod'd for supplying plug power, that would work well for your setup check the yard sale...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 12:46:38 PM »
Core Sound Cardioids should not be used by anyone. If you don't want to stealth a preamp (extra gear is hard for beginners), I'd take the AT831s over the  Sound Pro AT853s. If you feel up to the challenge of phantom power ;), get some 853RXs or do the mod that Schwilly did.
If it was me, I'd start with either SP-CMC-2s > AD-20 > JB3 or AT853s > PS-2 > (optional AD-20) > JB3 or AT853s > MP-2 > JB3. Schwilly could tell you more.
A

Offline RA

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2004, 01:49:03 PM »
I agree. Forget the CS cardoids. You'll be much better off with SP-CMC-4s or SP-CMC-2s.

Personally I'd buy CMC-4s with the kit allowing you to use both phantom power and the battery box.
That way you can easily upgrade your gear with for instance a UA-5 later without any modification.

Total cost:
*270$ for mics
*115$ for battery box (SP-SPSB-1 with roll off/level controller/hinged lid)
=385$
Soundprofessionals SP-CMC-4 cardoids --> Soundprofessionals SP-SPSB-1 --> Creative Nomad 3 Jukebox

Offline Cleokatrah

• Taperssection Regular
  • What mouse?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2004, 01:55:27 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll stay away from core sound, and check out the CMCs. Just out of curiousity, how do sound professionals measure up? And I'll have to wait on that AC20, AT853rxwh, but if I had the cash I would jump on it in a heartbeat. Thanks for summing the cost RA, that's about what I'm looking for.

Offline barthatronic

• Taperssection Regular
  • I am a scientist.
    • GbV
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004, 04:38:14 AM »
Will I want to add phantom power to the mics and will I need a batt box?
Most likely.

Check out this thread where people here helped me set up a very basic, very good stealth JB3 rig for under $400 (including a 20GB JB3):
http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=19407
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SP-CMC-2  >  SP-SPSB-6  >  JB3

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2004, 10:32:03 AM »
Cleo, I'll be in Fresno this weekend. We can meet somewhere and I could give a li'l tutorial if you'd like.
A

Offline Cleokatrah

• Taperssection Regular
  • What mouse?
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2004, 05:26:42 PM »
This weekend as in NOW? Or this weekend as in upcoming? I would love a tutorial ^_~

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2004, 01:28:37 AM »
Upcoming. Father's Day weekend. Drop me a PM.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004, 05:40:28 AM »
go get em Armen ;)

I can let armen borrow my gear, or bring it along myself, if you wanna see the size and how all this shit works, etc.

If you are starting out, the mics > batt box is a good way to start.  Should get decent enough levels to run straight to a JB3.  I was able to with a MD recorder.  Then, if you decide it's something you wanna continue, you can add the AD-20, then maybe a phantom mod, and so on.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com