Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help with a portable system for bird recordings  (Read 4538 times)

Offline hullyjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Help with a portable system for bird recordings
« on: June 17, 2004, 12:56:53 PM »
Hi,

First off , I'm no audiophile, so be patient with my dumb questions.  I say dumb because I've asked these questions in other forums or to the pertinent manufacturers and failed to get an answer. I have a simple idea (at least to me) - put together a high-quality, portable recording system for taping bird songs/calls using a Sennheiser K6/ME67 (arguably the best mic for this application) with the newer solid state/hard drive/flash card recorder. I have the mic and use it with an old crappy MD or an older WalkMan Pro but thanks to Sony I cannot EASILY transfer the recordings to/from my computer.
I don't have the shoulders to carry a Marantz PMD670 or equivalent and I've developed a pathological hatred for anything Sony. I've read that the newer iRiver hard drives have the potential for making decent recording (uncompressed) but do I need a mic pre-amp for my  K6/Me67 to use their line-in? A call to iRiver Tech support was a complete waste of time. If I do need one or having one would make the recordings even better what would you recommend? And lastly, who makes the best XLR-1/8" cables? I'm also looking for a small shockmount for the Sennheiser.

Thanks for any advice

Jim Hully
Salisbury. MA

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Help with a portable system for bird recordings
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 02:20:38 PM »
Many people here run this setup (which I think is plenty small)

[mics] -> Edirol UA-5 -> Creative Nomad Jukebox 3.

The UA5 is about 9x5X1 inches. The Nomad is about the size of typical portable CD player. You would need to buy the UA5 from Oade.com because they modify it so you can use it without hooking it up to a computer (it was inteneded as a preamp for computer recording).

Another option is to use a Deneke PS-2 (phantom power supply) -> Deneke AD-20 (A/D convertor with optical out) in place of the UA5. Actually that is a bit smaller but it's 2 pieces.

As far as the recorder goes. Go with the Nomad. The iRiver can't touch it.

Hope that helps. Sounds like fun.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 02:39:07 PM »
Many people here run this setup (which I think is plenty small)

[mics] -> Edirol UA-5 -> Creative Nomad Jukebox 3.

The UA5 is about 9x5X1 inches. The Nomad is about the size of typical portable CD player. You would need to buy the UA5 from Oade.com because they modify it so you can use it without hooking it up to a computer (it was inteneded as a preamp for computer recording).

Another option is to use a Deneke PS-2 (phantom power supply) -> Deneke AD-20 (A/D convertor with optical out) in place of the UA5. Actually that is a bit smaller but it's 2 pieces.

As far as the recorder goes. Go with the Nomad. The iRiver can't touch it.

Hope that helps. Sounds like fun.

MIKE B

I would vote for a Mixpre or MP-2 from sound devices.  The reason I say this is that you will need a considerable amount of gain for nature recording.  (that or a shotgun mic)  The mixpre and mp-2 are EXTREMELY quiet and will work well in that environment.  As for a recording device, the device of choice is the Nomad Jukebox 3.  Has USB and Firewire for transfers. 

You will find that most folks here are recording relatively LOUD sound.  Your situation is unique in that you need a fair amount of gain with low noise, most here need no gain (and sometimes attenuation is called for!) so your specific needs are imho quite different...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 03:13:11 PM »
I would vote for a Mixpre or MP-2 from sound devices.  The reason I say this is that you will need a considerable amount of gain for nature recording.  (that or a shotgun mic)  The mixpre and mp-2 are EXTREMELY quiet and will work well in that environment. 

Oh, yeah. That's a good point. They're even smaller than what I suggested too.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 03:25:22 PM »
i think the mic he has is a shotgun type mic.

the AD-20 and PS2 are nice and small, and are rugged - they could stand up to years of abuse.  The AD-20 adds 17dB of gain, minimum, generates a clean sound, and both can run on 9v batteries.  The nomad jukebox3 can take the digital in from the AD-20 and records in wave format at 44.1 khz.  

The JB3 can be bought on ebay - 200 shipped
AD-20 goes for around 200.
PS-2 goes for 100-200.
XLR cables will cost around 25 bucks if you solder them yourself.
An optical (TOSLINK) with mini plug can be found for under 20 bucks.

On a side note: do you do research?  what types of birds do you work with?  
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 03:50:57 PM »
The AD-20 gets hissy with the gain cranked.

Offline keepongoin

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 03:55:48 PM »
i have never had to turn up the gain on my AD-20.  it provides 17dB of gain with the knobs on the minimum setting!!
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline hullyjr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 04:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses but we have different ideas about size, and as pointed out, my application is quite different. For a start, anything bigger than an iPod is too big. Most of the pre-amps suggested are as big as the Marantz PMD670. I'm not worried about stealth but I already carry too much shit when I'm in the field.  Isn't there anything smaller and cheaper!! For example, like the MicTube from Maycom (apparently this does not work with my type of mic). I never understood electronics at school and that was 25 years ago so you can image how basic

The K6 powered/ME67 is a long shotgun that I use to "pull" or isolate a particular song out from a cacophany of sounds, often very far away. I enjoy making recording of the different birds (& amphibians) that call at dawn from various habitats around the world. However, it really comes into it's own when I cannot see or, more often, when I can't recognize a sound. I simply record the bird and then play it back using a very small portable speaker. This usually causes (some say disturbs) the bird to come closer to check out the challenger (me) enabling identification.

Basically, I'm tired of struggling with tapes or MDs when it comes to editing. The mic does not work on a line-level input, so some form of signal gain is required.

Thanks

Jim

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2004, 04:35:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses but we have different ideas about size, and as pointed out, my application is quite different. For a start, anything bigger than an iPod is too big. Most of the pre-amps suggested are as big as the Marantz PMD670. I'm not worried about stealth but I already carry too much shit when I'm in the field.  Isn't there anything smaller and cheaper!! For example, like the MicTube from Maycom (apparently this does not work with my type of mic). I never understood electronics at school and that was 25 years ago so you can image how basic

The K6 powered/ME67 is a long shotgun that I use to "pull" or isolate a particular song out from a cacophany of sounds, often very far away. I enjoy making recording of the different birds (& amphibians) that call at dawn from various habitats around the world. However, it really comes into it's own when I cannot see or, more often, when I can't recognize a sound. I simply record the bird and then play it back using a very small portable speaker. This usually causes (some say disturbs) the bird to come closer to check out the challenger (me) enabling identification.

Basically, I'm tired of struggling with tapes or MDs when it comes to editing. The mic does not work on a line-level input, so some form of signal gain is required.

Thanks

Jim

I don't know if you are going to find anything that small that won't introduce a fair amount of hiss.  If that is not an issue, you can pick up a cheap amp (bout the size of an ipod) off ebay for $40ish, but don't expect stellar results.  From what I have read the MP-2 / mixpre is used often for nature sounds, but that is usually to archive the nature sound...
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2004, 07:38:39 PM »
How about a line transformer? Basically a couple inches long and goes right in line with your cables. Check this thread: http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=2454.0

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2004, 08:46:15 PM »
the Neuros is a lot cheaper than the IRiver

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2004, 08:57:56 PM »
Best of luck finding a preamp/recorder combo smaller and easier than a Sound Devices MP2 or MixPre and a Nomad Jukebox 3 or Neuros HD recorder.  Preamps don't come much (any?) smaller than the MP2 and still offer quality variable gain.

If you can live with ~20-25 dB of fixed gain, the line transformers are a great, cheap way to go, but I'm guessing they won't provide enough gain.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2004, 09:00:07 PM »
this has me inspired.  Hopefully I can talk my dad into a 3 day trip into the mountains, 30 GB of nature recordings would kick ass

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2004, 10:25:06 PM »
If you can live with ~20-25 dB of fixed gain, the line transformers are a great, cheap way to go, but I'm guessing they won't provide enough gain.
Just curiuos Brian, can you piggyback them at all, or can you only run one per channel?
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2004, 11:18:19 PM »
Just curiuos Brian, can you piggyback them [line transformers] at all, or can you only run one per channel?

The same thought crossed my mind and...dunno!
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com