Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Capturing hurl or windows media streams?  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
Capturing hurl or windows media streams?
« on: June 23, 2004, 03:26:06 PM »
I need to capture some windows media streams that are sent by the hurl.exe application.  Mostly these are song samples from places like amazon.com that I want to populate a data set for my project.  It's just the 20 sec buyer samples that I'm after, so I'm not trying to rip off anyone.

Anyone know how to intercept and capture the streams? 

Have any suggestions where I can download sample clips?   

I need about thousand clips from different artists and albums, so I can't just rip samples from my live recordings.  I can use independent artists too and some full songs would be great if they can be had for free.  But I can't rip commercially released CDs because we will be demoing to some studio reps who would not think kindly of that.

thanks, michael
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Capturing hurl or windows media streams?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 05:01:45 PM »
Total Recorder is cheap and does what you want.  It basically creates a virtual soundcard and grabs the digital stream off that - if you can hear it, you can copy it to a file.  I'm not sure how far you can go with the demo version but as I said, it's cheap.
www.totalrecorder.com
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 08:48:08 PM »
Total Recorder is cheap and does what you want.  It basically creates a virtual soundcard and grabs the digital stream off that - if you can hear it, you can copy it to a file.  I'm not sure how far you can go with the demo version but as I said, it's cheap.
www.totalrecorder.com

if its anything like the older versions, not long.  you'll have to get it registered, one way or another.

Offline Mobius

• Taperssection Regular
  • Degenerate Extraudinaire
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 03:47:20 AM »
If i remember correctly, there is a program (illegal in many countries, but dont we just love the net for that sorta thing :) ) called Streambox Ripper VCR. It differs from total recorder in that it finds the source file that the streaming file points to and actually downloads it (its a bit temperamental, but it works in faster than real time this way). Its also the only program I found that could download streaming data from mms:// servers. It works for audio and video in most standard streaming formats (windows, real etc).

Peas
Nick

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 04:07:09 PM »
T(hank)s all you guys.  I'll play with those this weekend. 

Actually, I found that Walmart web page has mp3s that are easy to get, but some of the content I want is not there.  So I'll try those recorders this weekend.

Beer and data stuffing....it's going to be a dull weekend at my house.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 09:06:09 PM »
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com