Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nomad Jukebox and DIY Battery box  (Read 2286 times)

Offline foolsfortune

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Nomad Jukebox and DIY Battery box
« on: June 28, 2004, 12:24:06 AM »
Like a dummy, I bought a Nomad Jukebox thinking it was a JB3.  It's a first generation.  Seems fine, but I bought some mics from Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5704058372&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1 and can't get a signal.

Is it because I need a battery box?  This same guy sells one that takes two AA batteries for $20 or he'll make me a 9V box for $30.  I just don't want to buy something else that isn't going to work.

If someone knows a good resource for a DIY box, I'd be interested.

I had bought these items to record a show this Wednesday but I can't see it happening now.  A buddy has a mini disc recorder I can use but I think it would need battery power too.

Ideas?

Thanks
Mike

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
Re: Nomad Jukebox and DIY Battery box
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 12:44:51 AM »
I am pretty sure that the first generation nomad jukebox will not record. I think it is only a JB3. I may be wrong on that but the standard is deffinately a JB3. Therefore I am not sure a batt box will help. Just yet.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 04:24:52 AM »
Heres a Forum dedicated to building your own mics, battery boxes etc, with full instructions:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicDIYers/

Th list itself is full of spam but (I would guess) the 'Files' section is the one you need.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2004, 04:26:36 AM by Humbug »
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline foolsfortune

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 11:58:54 AM »
Yeah, it records just not with my mics!  I plugged my headphones into it and hit record and spoke into the headphones.  It didn't sound great but it worked.

I think I'll try to build a box and if it wirks, great.  If not, I'll give the JB to my wife (she wants one now that I have one) and I'll buy me a JB3.

Doesn't help me for this Wednesdays concert but that's what I get for not asking enough questions I guess!

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline foolsfortune

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 12:28:21 PM »
Yep, I think that'll work.  Now I just have to decide if I want to build it or spend the $30 to let someone else do it.

How do I know if 9V is too much or not enough voltage?  The guy that built the mics says they're Panasonic Electret condenser mics.

Thanks
Mike

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 12:42:19 PM »
9V will be fine then.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 07:58:42 PM »
what are the mics?  Giant Squid?  If they are they need one of their battery boxes to function. 

Offline foolsfortune

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 12:32:42 AM »
Panasonic capsules.  I tried the battery circuit and it seems to work, but I get a high pitched whistling sound in the earphones that runs thru the whole track.  Bad sheilding or bad Nomad?

Good sites, but no schematic showing the connections.  Anyone have that? How about a picture of the inside of the SOund Professionals batt box?

Mike

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 09:33:45 AM »
I built this box when I hade my MD and a cheap set of radio shack mics and it worked. I might even sell it to you for what I paid in parts, pm me if interested.
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com