Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic stand suggestions?  (Read 1942 times)

Offline evilchris

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
Mic stand suggestions?
« on: July 04, 2004, 07:27:05 AM »
Hi guys,

I've been stealthing shows for a few years (15 or 16 shows in all) and I may have an opportunity in the near future to catch a couple of Spin Doctors shows and, if memory serves me correctly, the Spin Doctors are pretty friendly towards tapers.

My question, then, is this:  what sort of mic stands are good for a modest stealth rig?  I've got a pair of stealth mics from Sound Professionals with interchangable Shure MX183/185 mic capsules, so a rig that's flexible enough to accomodate both capsules would be ideal.

I'd prefer *not* to have a t-bar, but I'm completely open to suggestions.  I'd like to be able to get 8-12 feet up, but I'd also like something that's nice and small when you fold it up.

For those unfamiliar with the microphones, I've attached a picture of my rig.  It's nothing special, but I've been really happy with it.  :)

Thanks.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 07:30:07 AM by evilchris »
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re: Mic stand suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 04:03:54 PM »
stealth rig mic stand?  didn't know there was such a thing.  I thought it was challenge enough to smuggle your gear in, let alone a stand.  But i would think you would want something really small.  I'd look into making something, my first mic stand was a telescopic golf ball retreiver that i took a mic adapter and put on the top for a t-bar, i got a 9 ft one, and closed its less than 3 ft long, wouldn't be extremely hard to stealth it in your pant leg.  its silver though, you would want something black i would think.  Go look around, see if you can find something that you can make into a stand. good luck. peace

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 01:12:45 AM »
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post.

I have a stealth rig, which serves me well.  I'm not interested in upgrading it for the rare opportunity that I'd have to fly the mics or otherwise mount them somewhere other than on my person.

To achieve this, I need a mic stand.  Not a stealth-able stand.  Just a normal mic stand that will functionally accomodate both omni- and uni-direction elements in my current microphones.

Hope this helps, and thanks to anyone that can help me out.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 03:07:45 PM »
There are a ton of options for you.  Go to a local camera store and check out light stands.  There are all sorts of price ranges.   You can get something light and inexpensive.  If you plan to get full body mics sometime, you might want to get a heavier stand in preparation for that.  If you frequent clubs in sketchy neighborhoods, a big piece of metal in your hands after the show can be a comfort.

For low profile work, most people here use the manfrotto/bogen stand that is 7ft when fully extended and collapses small enough to fit in a backpack.   If you plan to tape in the middle of a noisy crowd, get a stand that is 10-12ft.  The taller the stand, the less likely it will collapse to a small size.

You can get a new light stand for less than $75.  Some camera stores take trades and you might be able to find a decent used stand for much less. 

You'll need a way to mount those mics to the stand.  You can make an XY mount for those mics pretty easily if you have access to some tools.   
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 03:43:58 PM »
yea, sorry, i was confused on your first post, i'd also recomend ebay, sometimes they have them for cheap, i think i got my 13ft bogen on there used for like 45 w/shipping.  Its heavy duty, and yea, having in sketchy places all alone late at night has made me feel more comfortable.  Also Calrod, is another kind from bogen, real simular.  Check http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=FetchChildren&Q=&ci=1173
 i'm pretty sure they have what you would want or need.  Good luck.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

zowie

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 03:48:06 PM »
Can I steal that pic when I sell my MT877 later this year? 

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 04:56:32 PM »
Can I steal that pic when I sell my MT877 later this year? 
There are better pictures of the MD-MT877 to be had.  Try images.google.com.

Thanks for your input, everyone.  I'll shop around and be sure to post any more questions here.
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Divided

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Team Long Island
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 12:41:34 PM »
I definitely remember seeing a really small Bogen... maybe 7 or 8 feet at the most, but it was soo small that it would be perfect for flying mics low to avoid attention
DPA 4022 > ___ >Ad1k > VXPocket / DA-P1

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind -Humphrey Bogart

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com