Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: testing output voltage  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
testing output voltage
« on: July 07, 2004, 04:08:41 AM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again:  I'm an idiot.

right now I am at a totally and utterly complete loss.  I go around preaching that the phantom adapters for the AT mini mics is the way to go, when I don't really know what the adapters or the battery box actually put out voltage wise.  And is it just the quantity of voltage or is there another component that makes the phantom powered AT853s sound better than battery box powered AT853s?  I'm seriously clueless.

How do I test what a component outputs.  For example, with the AT8533 adapters plugged into an MP-2 providing 48V, is there a way to test what pin is outputting what voltage on the mini-xlr side of the AT8533?  Same for the battery box.  Can I tell how many volts it's throwing at my mics?

I'd especially like to know because if I can use the DPAs with the AT8533s that would rule my face.  I'm starting to think it's possible.  A guy in another thread is running the 4061s off of an unmodified SP battery box which is meant for the AT mics.  so Maybe..........maybe I'm just reaching, but if the voltages are similar on the DAD6001 and the AT8533, what's to stop me from soldering on 3-pin XLRMs to the DPAs to use with the AT8533s?

Mostly thinking out loud, but I want this to work!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 04:19:05 AM by Schwillaby »

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re: testing output voltage
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 07:15:47 AM »
I just tried mesuring the voltage outa my V2......and I couldn't get a reading.  I have a pretty nice RMS  DMM as well.  I'm not sure how you can measure phantom voltage.  At work we refer to induced voltage as "phantom" voltage but I don't think it's the same thing here....at work it's measureable but not useable.....if that makes sense.

I'm gonna try and figure this one out if no one has an answer between now and when I get home from work. :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 07:20:43 AM »
I just tried mesuring the voltage outa my V2......and I couldn't get a reading.  I have a pretty nice RMS  DMM as well.  I'm not sure how you can measure phantom voltage.  At work we refer to induced voltage as "phantom" voltage but I don't think it's the same thing here....at work it's measureable but not useable.....if that makes sense.

I'm gonna try and figure this one out if no one has an answer between now and when I get home from work. :)

thanx for looking into it bro.  + for the efforts

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 07:42:58 AM »
Ha....I'm a friggin dipshit.   I didn't have the DMM on the right setting (I just woke up).....anyway....If you measure with a voltmeter between pin 2 and pin 3, you will read 0 Volts DC.  Measuring between pin 2 and pin 1, or between pin 3 and pin 1, you will read the phantom power voltage (In the case of the V2 this was about 48 volts)

Hope that helps some schwill!

As for the mini side of the mics.....can ya open them up while plugged in to check the voltage??
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 07:47:27 AM »
Ha....I'm a friggin dipshit.   I didn't have the DMM on the right setting (I just woke up).....anyway....If you measure with a voltmeter between pin 2 and pin 3, you will read 0 Volts DC.  Measuring between pin 2 and pin 1, or between pin 3 and pin 1, you will read the phantom power voltage (In the case of the V2 this was about 48 volts)

Hope that helps some schwill!

As for the mini side of the mics.....can ya open them up while plugged in to check the voltage??

thanx for that!  that makes me smile this bright early morning (that and I've been talking to a hot chick for the past 3 hours)

the mini side looks the same as what xlr jacks on a preamp mic-in look like, just smaller.  Wonder if the voltmeter thingies (huhu hhuhu uhu huh) will work without arcing :hmmm:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com