Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: good minidisc recorders ???  (Read 4614 times)

Offline ericlered

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
good minidisc recorders ???
« on: July 07, 2004, 01:40:23 PM »
Hi ppl

Got a jb3 in the post this morning i ordered 2nd hand and have already sold it back on ebay as it was simply way bulkier and heavier than i expected ( call me an idiot for not reading the exact spec i know )

so what i want to know now is..... what are the best minidisc recorders for taping shows with and how much would i have to spend ?

also would a minidisc recorder work with sp cmc-4 mics and sp mini battery box like the jb3 ?

or is md just not worth bothering with at all ?

oh one more annoying question, cardioids generally better than binaurals for taping gigs but.....if wearing mics on person would have to stand stock still thru the whole recording process facing the same direction ???

thanx ppl

paul

Offline blu666z

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
Re: good minidisc recorders ???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 01:42:53 PM »
binaurals are not a type of mic, just a config used with omnis.

-Kevin

Offline ericlered

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 01:59:24 PM »
thanx for the help

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2004, 02:19:50 PM »
try minidisc.org.  lots of folks here aren't too keen on md, you may not see too much help.

sorry you didn't like the Nomad, I love mine.  In my case, bigger is better...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2004, 02:21:31 PM »
If possible, I would stay away from minidiscs.  They all do some sort of compression.  Look for a DAT, although they aren't much smaller or lighter than the JB3.  If you do have to go with MD, the mic/battery box combo should be fine.  Basically same rig I started with.

-Kevin

Offline ericlered

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2004, 02:37:00 PM »
thanx for the replies, basically the jb3 wudnt even fit into my denim jacket inside pocket so figure if im taping in summer in hot sweaty venue im not likely to want a duffel coat on !

ill check out that site and possibly wait for a smaller comparable version of the jb3 if theres anything on the horizon ??? saying that the jb3 is great value for money....

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2004, 03:31:06 PM »
Check out Hi-MD

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2004, 03:46:25 PM »
Hi ppl

1. Got a jb3 in the post this morning i ordered 2nd hand and have already sold it back on ebay as it was simply way bulkier and heavier than i expected ( call me an idiot for not reading the exact spec i know )

2. so what i want to know now is..... what are the best minidisc recorders for taping shows with and how much would i have to spend ?

3. also would a minidisc recorder work with sp cmc-4 mics and sp mini battery box like the jb3 ?

or is md just not worth bothering with at all ?

4. oh one more annoying question, cardioids generally better than binaurals for taping gigs but.....if wearing mics on person would have to stand stock still thru the whole recording process facing the same direction ???

thanx ppl

paul

1. Daft bugger. Got rid of it even without testing it. If you had you'd have kept it. Get a jacket with a bigger pocket. I'm tempted to -t you but I'm in a good mood today.

2. Dunno they're all much of a muchness. Try a Sharp. Make sure its got Line-In.

3. Works fine with MD. You may get fairly quiet recordings, boost 'em later with Cooledit or similar.

4. Yes they are (IMO only). Stock still. Goodness no. Just keep facing front. You can boogie a little. Just don't mosh.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

thierryhenry

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2004, 04:26:02 PM »
I had a Sony Mz-R55 which broke.. Don't get this, because the battery time is horrible, and it always went down on me...

I recently got a Sharp MD-MT99 used on here for about $70 with all the original accessories. I just taped a show with it, it's so great..Mic In, Line In, Small, Compact, Rechargeable Battery that lasts 7 hours..I'd recommend a Sharp (either this one or the MD-MT15 which also nice). All the Sharp's you can adjust the recording level on the Fly as well, which many Sony's don't have...

I am currently getting Giant Squid Cardroid's with a SP-SPSB-1 for my Sharp, so I should be good to go..

If you want to get a cheap MD, look @ the yard sale section of this board, I have already gotten 2 great deals from there!

Cheers.

taperkat

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2004, 10:42:54 AM »
sharp md-ms722

little older but had 2 for 4 years, one's actually running again, the other i just need to sauder one more wire back.

Offline ericlered

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2004, 04:26:29 PM »
thanx ppl

so basically md recordings are compressed then ?

Offline shroominhumpy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team Ghetto Rig--Cheap gear. Sick Tapes.
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2004, 07:04:42 PM »
Yep all MD uses compression. Then there is the pain of buying a MD player with optical out so you dont loose anything else in the transfer...JB3 would have been the way to go...its not that big. You could have sewed a new pocket or something. Losses recording and the ease of uping via USB or Firewire. Its bliss.

Jason
If mass communications blend together harmoniously, and often unnoticeably, art, politics, religion, and philosophy with commercials, they bring these realms of culture to their common denominator—the commodity form. The music of the soul is also the music of salesmanship.
Herbert Marcuse

Offline Stumptown Matt

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a happy tapir!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2004, 02:04:35 PM »
Yep all MD uses compression. Then there is the pain of buying a MD player with optical out so you dont loose anything else in the transfer...JB3 would have been the way to go...its not that big. You could have sewed a new pocket or something. Losses recording and the ease of uping via USB or Firewire. Its bliss.

Jason

The new High MD format will record uncompressed 16/44.1 I believe.
When cleaning out her attic, Grace found several bootleg recordings her mother had made while traveling around the world with the Grateful Dead. Grace is not permitted to sell these bootleg recordings on eBay.

"If you like the Beach Boys, you'll love Widespread Panic."    -Big Mike

"Music Sounds Better on Grass" -Clear Channel advertising

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2004, 07:50:04 PM »
I would just plain avoid MD, sure, Hi-MD supports PCM recording, but you cannot digitally copy that music onto your pc.  Get a DAT or a Nomad again and oh...the nomad can go into yer crotch area and the mics and battery module can easily be snuck in your socks.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2004, 08:01:21 PM »
I would just plain avoid MD, sure, Hi-MD supports PCM recording, but you cannot digitally copy that music onto your pc.  Get a DAT or a Nomad again and oh...the nomad can go into yer crotch area and the mics and battery module can easily be snuck in your socks.

all of that, and much more, can be crotched.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com