Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nak CM-1000 dilemma  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Mingle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Nak CM-1000 dilemma
« on: July 14, 2004, 04:18:30 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been running Nak CM-1000s for about 2 years now, and I've never really been completely happy with their upper range.  It sounds kind of indistinct to me.  Not quite muddy, just not entirely accurate, if that makes sense.  To purchase these mics, I had to sell my beloved Nak CM-700s, and I've wished I had them back ever since.  I doubt I'll find another pair for many years, if ever. 

Anyway, my wife and I are about to have a baby, so purchasing new mics is absolutely out of the question unless I sell these Naks.  I've been eyeballing MBHOs for quite awhile now, but I'm reasonably sure that if I were to sell these 1000s, I'd never find another pair.  Also, the last rig upgrade I made was a V3, and I don't know if I'd want to run MBHOs with a V3.

I guess my question is: would you keep mics you weren't entirely happy with just because they were rare?  I'm just curious what other people think.  The answer seems clear now that I've typed this out.  "Why would you keep mics you weren't happy with?"  But parting with such rare mics isn't all that easy. 

Sorry for thinking out loud, guys.  Thanks for any advice!

-Nic
AKG 480 ck61/ck63 > V3 > M1 or iriver H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Nak CM-1000 dilemma
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 04:30:02 PM »
If I didn't especially like my (admittedly rare) mics, wanted to keep taping, and didn't have a budget for new mics unless I sold the old ones, I'd ditch 'em in a heartbeat.

I think MBHO > V3 would be a little too bright for my tastes.

Could your dissatisfaction with the CM-1000s be related to your playback system?  Perhaps an adjustment to your playback system will make your recordings sound more..."right".
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Mingle

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2004, 04:40:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Brian. 

I agree about the MBHO > V3 sound.  I suppose I could sell the V3 and either try to get a V2 and an SBM-1 or an MP2 > SBM-1.  I enjoy the sound of those combos, generally.

It's entirely possible that a playback system change could help as well.  I've listened to tapes I've made on all sorts of systems, and to my surprise they usually sound best to my ears on relatively cheap bookshelf systems.  I don't know what that says about these mics (or my ears) exactly.   :-\

-Nic

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2004, 04:54:33 PM »
My 2 cents is to sell the Nak's and try something different for awhile. Change and progression are good... even if you have to unload some rare stuff. It's good to try something different because you'll never know what you'll like until you give it a try.

Maybe Brian Dyke would do a temporary swap with you so you can use the 700's again?
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline Mingle

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2004, 05:01:00 PM »

Maybe Brian Dyke would do a temporary swap with you so you can use the 700's again?

LOL!  I think I'd have to pry those 700s from his cold dead hands before he'd let them out of his sight.   :)

I may just give it a try, though.  I guess you never know.

Thanks!

Nic

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.143 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com