Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: OK Guys.....need help starting up  (Read 2588 times)

Offline comphynum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
OK Guys.....need help starting up
« on: July 15, 2004, 05:07:02 AM »
I have been wanting to get into taping for some time and the older I get the more feasible it seems.  I have read a lot of this site and I have found it very helpful. I have a general understanding of the parts I need... My question to you is what is a good begginner rig to start with, kinda cheap to start off with as far as  mics, power sourse, gain source, adc, and storage

would something like this work: akgc1000s, sony sbm-1, sonyd8

any suggestions on gear and where to get it....

thanks,
\
doug

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: OK Guys.....need help starting up
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 05:57:52 AM »
The gear you listed would absolutely work, but I'd make a few suggestions. The SBM1 is strictly an A/D converter, not a pre-amp, so it doesn't provide phantom power. Granted, you can run the c1000s on a regular 9v battery, but you'll be glad you chose phantom - trust me on this one.

I'd replace the SBM1 with a digi-mod UA5, which is a combination pre/AD converter, and can be bought new for about the same price as a used SBM1. This is an all around steal for the money. Also, if/when you decide to upgrade your mics, the UA5 will still be a great choice.

I think you'd be perfectly happy with the c1000s>UA5>D8 rig...lots of good tapes have been made using this combo. Those 3 pieces of gear + a stand, shockmounts, t-bar, a bag, and cables could be had used for under $1000.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 07:34:27 AM by Nick Graham »
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 10:21:20 AM »
The AKG1000c>UA5>D8 is a good starter combo.  One that may be cheaper is to replace the UA5 with an PS2>AD20.  Also, the D8 could be used in lieu of the D8, as long as your AD has optical out (UA5 and AD20). 

There are reported problems with the SBM1>optical>Nomad 3 connection... 

I recommend getting the UA5 from Doag Oade (digi mod), as you can return and get upgrades later...  Or you can do the mod yourself (cheaper). 

You can also look into getting Studio Project C4 mics.  Very good, very inexpensive.  A friend uses some and they are great mics.

I use ADK A51S LEs and there are several pair for sale over at Yard Sale...  "Sublime" is how a friend described them...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline comphynum

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2004, 08:45:27 PM »
whats a t-bar

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2004, 10:42:12 PM »
I just got a pair of c1000's and they are quite nice, I am very happy with them.  In fact there is a rather cheap pair for sale in the yard sale.  And if you need connectors to go from xlr > 1/8 stereo pm me, I have some that I used with them before I got my preamp that I can sell you for alot less than they cost me.

t-bar = the thing that holds your mics on the light stand.  see picture.  hope this helps
mics & cameras

Offline comphynum

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 12:31:14 AM »
anymore suggestions/facts would be great

thanks guys

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 12:35:09 AM »
anymore suggestions/facts would be great

maybe it's just me, but don't expect to meet women while taping

Offline comphynum

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 03:08:51 AM »
ok so once you get the show on the dat...whats the procedure for getting it on a computer, converted, whatever, etc.????

thanks

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2004, 03:14:35 AM »
1]  send it to a transfer bitch
2]  run your 7pin cable out from the deck to a PCI sound card with coax or optical in (which ever your 7pin is)
3]  buy a home deck for transfers such as the Tascam DA-20mkII or the Sony PCM-R300 so you don't wear out the heads on your portable recorder.  same idea as #2 though
4]  Buy a DAT drive for your computer

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 08:10:46 AM »
ok so once you get the show on the dat...whats the procedure for getting it on a computer, converted, whatever, etc.????

thanks

buy a jn3 and its alot easier, just connect the firewire cable or usb cable to the computer and transfer.   Plus no tapes to buy or change, and its cheaper, you won't regret using one of these.
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com