Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: rig setup  (Read 1756 times)

Offline MattyPretends116

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
rig setup
« on: July 15, 2004, 02:10:19 PM »
Ok, I'm brand new at this so sorry if any of this is redundant. I tried to find answers for myself on the net, but decided I'd be better off actually talking to people.  ;D and you guys seem friendly so here goes.

I've never taped shows, but have been trading for a while now and want to start taping. I have an SM58 mic I use for band stuff and have some cable with XLR, 1/4, and 1/8th inch mic jacks. I want to get a MD recorder, since they are fairly cheap. Someone linked me to this one saying it was good for taping:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&u=c&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_1&oid=89547&catoid=-8362&m=0

Is this true? Do I just plug the mic into the unit's USB and am good to go, or do I neet one with a digital input? After the mic is in, I'm assuming I'm ready to go, but is there more I need? I've seen references to all sorts of accessories, but what do I really need do do this reasonably cheaply?

As you can see, I know nothing ::)

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
Re: rig setup
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2004, 02:37:45 PM »
I don't think you can actually record onto a minidisc that has USB input only. You'll have to find a deck that has a Line in, or at least a Mic in. If you haven't yet bought a MiniDisc deck, look into spending just a little more and picking up a Nomad Jukebox3. That one will record from a line in source, and then whent it comes time to transfering it to your computer, all you have to do is connect the USB cable and drop it right onto your computer, it's usually really fast.

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 12:32:13 AM »
yea what he said, skip the MD.  That one doesn't even have a line in.  I used to use the MZ-N707, it worked, had a line, and mic inputs.  But i would say save some money, and get something you'll be happier with in the long run. 
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2004, 01:00:12 AM »
refurb jb3s have been going on ebay for about $150 or so..about the same as a decent MD...i personally would advise new those as every problem i've seen with a jb3 (there haven't been THAT many, but still) has been from a refurb. i've had mine that i bought new for a year now without a single problem.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2004, 08:53:00 AM »
firewire transfer too.=fast
we all live downstream.

Offline MattyPretends116

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2004, 06:42:47 PM »
jb3 looks like a decent rig according to you guys. I'll look into it. Thanks for the tips :)

Matt

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.154 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com