Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: recording in small bar with a laptop  (Read 2306 times)

Offline paul.barry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
recording in small bar with a laptop
« on: July 18, 2004, 06:54:49 PM »
I would like to record live music in a small bar.  I already have a laptop and cool edit.  The music is usually 3-4 piece jazz/funk, drums, bass, keyboards, guitar, saxaphone, etc.  I would probably be able to hang the microphone from the ceiling < 10ft from where the musicians are setup.  Are there any microphones available for less than $100 that would do a decent job?  Can you suggest an site where I can buy them online?  Do I *need* any other equipment besides the mic and laptop?

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Re: recording in small bar with a laptop
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 06:56:24 PM »
You are going to need mics, some sort of preamp and ad convertor along with an interface to the laptop, either pcmcia, USB or something external. You could run the mic in on the laptop soundcard, but that would sound like crap.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline paul.barry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 07:31:35 PM »
So you are saying mic directly into the laptop soundcard would be unlistenable?  Even in a small venue (I am talking about a place that hold maybe 50 people, there are usually less) with the mics 10ft away?  Any suggestions on stores or websites that sell this kind of stuff?

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 07:55:50 PM »
i would think the mikes are what you need to think of first. not sure what's available in your price range?

give it a go w/ just that. it shouldn't nessesarily be "unlistenable", but you'll have an idea of what you need to add in the future.

that's what i'd try, but then again, i'm an idiot
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline paul.barry

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 08:00:00 PM »
I love to be able to get started for less than $100.  What about something like the SONY ECM-DS70P mics?

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1627436

What is "Plug-In Power"?  Is my laptop (Dell Inspiron) likely to have that?  Is there anyway for me to find out?

radioboy1977

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 08:12:53 PM »
you're going to have a very hard time getting started for less than 100 bucks.  that said, you would have no problem setting up a quality rig for less than $500.  pick up a pair of AKG C1000's, an M-Audio FireWire 410 and you'll be in business ;D

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2004, 08:40:10 PM »
you're going to have a very hard time getting started for less than 100 bucks.  that said, you would have no problem setting up a quality rig for less than $500.  pick up a pair of AKG C1000's, an M-Audio FireWire 410 and you'll be in business ;D

that's what i was thinking, but c1000's aren't much more and don't need phantom power.

my first show all i had was a d8 and a couple cables to sbd. wasn't happy w/ the recordings but it gave me an idea of were i needed to go.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 12:20:28 AM »
it sucks sometimes, but this is a hobby, that needs to have some time, and money invested into it.  Most people have spent maybe on average around 2500-3000 dollers.  others up in the 9-10k range.  I don't know anything about that specific mic, but i think those mics are prone to have problems with overloading.  They just aren't able of handeling the SPL that live music hands out.  if your looking for something low key, and extremely portable, maybe look into http://www.soundprofessionals.com  good luck man.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 12:58:33 PM »
there is A pair of c1000s in the yard sale now for 150 bucks.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 09:45:41 PM »
it sucks sometimes, but this is a hobby, that needs to have some time, and money invested into it.  Most people have spent maybe on average around 2500-3000 dollers.  others up in the 9-10k range.  I don't know anything about that specific mic, but i think those mics are prone to have problems with overloading.  They just aren't able of handeling the SPL that live music hands out.  if your looking for something low key, and extremely portable, maybe look into http://www.soundprofessionals.com  good luck man.

matt

Yep, i gotta agree. Maybe start off with a cheap, but decent pair of audio technica's and a battery module and see where that takes you.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com