Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seal-Tight Equipment Cases for Housing Your Rig.  (Read 3932 times)

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Retired Taper
Seal-Tight Equipment Cases for Housing Your Rig.
« on: August 12, 2004, 03:34:17 PM »
Just curious if anyone uses these.  I saw some up on micsupply.com (http://www.micsupply.com/caseandracks.htm), although they are much cheaper elsewhere.  It seems like this would be a great option for housing your gear.  Water/dust proof, impact resistant, and the customizable foam makes for some interesting possibilities.  Do people choose the backpack/hip pack/cooler options only for the ease of carrying?  Any ideas about how the gear would react with the foam in regards to creating excessive heat? 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:39:28 PM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re: Seal-Tight Equipment Cases for Housing Your Rig.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 03:50:03 PM »
Lots of folks use Pelican cases, similar features, I think less expensive.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2004, 03:55:10 PM »
i would like to see if i could find a pelican case to hold all my equipment.  I have seen some people come up with some awesome mods
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2004, 05:07:33 PM »
those cases are very nice.

I think every taper buys one the first week they have their rig. Within a few months though most leave the pelican case at home and go with a bag of some sort.

The cases are heavy and not easy to carry for long distances. In venues with reserved seating they can be a real problem as they take up so much room and can't easily go under seats.

while nice for transport to and from the show and storage between shows they are just too bulky and cumbsersome to be practical at shows. this is all based on my experiences over the last 7 years of taping, just my opinion.. YMMV
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline sickrick43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2004, 05:32:21 PM »
I think the Pelican cases are the same, or less espensive, and of much better quality.  I've got a 1550 that fits the entire rig - D-10 Pro, V3, JB3, 2 EC-90's, 2 TLM-170's, & Cables.  It's a bear to lug and I only actually bring the thing to hold all the gear when I travel by air.  When I'm on the road by car, I carry everything in the case, and transfer to a bag for the venue (but festi's I use the case for extra anti-wook protection).  I've also got a small Pelican for just the mics, and if I'm not bringing the 10D also, I can get the Mics, V3, JB3, EC-90 and cables in a small-med size backpack.  I've got a foldup cart for air travel, and I bring the 1550, camera bag and lappy aboard carryon, but I'd have no problem checking the Pelican - as long as TSA does a hand inspection (like they do when I check my firearms) and lets me lock the case.

I've had various cases for various gear over the last 25 years.  I thought things were supposed to get smaller, and everything just gets bigger...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline rockumal

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 05:37:09 PM »
those cases are very nice.

I think every taper buys one the first week they have their rig. Within a few months though most leave the pelican case at home and go with a bag of some sort.

The cases are heavy and not easy to carry for long distances. In venues with reserved seating they can be a real problem as they take up so much room and can't easily go under seats.

while nice for transport to and from the show and storage between shows they are just too bulky and cumbsersome to be practical at shows. this is all based on my experiences over the last 7 years of taping, just my opinion.. YMMV

quoted for truth!  I'm using my 1450 as a humidor now :)  +t Tim

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 05:59:46 PM »
and another one to agree with Tim...I have 2 pelican cases sitting in my closet right now for the reasons you stated....

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 06:17:55 PM »
You guys have sold me on not getting one.  I was most excited about being able to see all your levels/lcd's etc.  That is the only drawback I see with a backpack/cooler type case.  I guess I will have to brainstorm on how to remedy that one.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:40:45 PM by thegreatgumbino »
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2004, 08:02:05 PM »
You guys have sold me on not getting one.  I was most excited about being able to see all your levels/lcd's etc.  That is the only drawback I see with a backpack/cooler type case.  I guess I will have to brainstorm on how to remedy that one.

Good move.  I, too, have a Pelican case sitting in my closet.  Biggest issue for me was setting everything up and breaking it all down every time I taped.  Much easier to set up the gear in-bag and only have to pull out the mics and plug in the power.  Whatever gear you  have, there's a way to situate it in-bag so you can see levels, maintain easy access to controls, etc.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2004, 09:50:02 PM »
check out the rig pics section, there are tons of photos that should be able to give you some good ideas!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 09:49:40 AM »
Yeah, I have seen some good ones in the rigs section.  I think I am going to get one of the cheap Wal-Mart coolers to start.  It should work well for the ACL Festival.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 08:42:16 PM by thegreatgumbino »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2004, 09:51:36 AM »
the only thing to be careful with when using coolers is remember their design is to keep temp constant...so if your gear gets hot, it is going to help keep that in...

not a problem for some rigs, but definitely keep it in mind...

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2004, 10:09:25 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  I have seen a few used in the rigs section.  The plus would be water resistance and provides a somewhat hard exterior to prevent items being crushed. 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 04:22:36 PM by thegreatgumbino »

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2004, 10:43:56 AM »
I'd be extremely weary of running a cooler if you have a JB3...
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2004, 01:48:10 PM »
One thing to keep in mind though. Figure out a way to project your stuff when you are carrying it in a cooler or backpak. You don't want to get all your new stuff all scratched up. It hurts on the resale value and things can get damaged when not protected.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.164 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com