Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3--swaps channels  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
JB3--swaps channels
« on: August 30, 2004, 11:59:25 AM »
I've discovered a "new" bug with the JB3.  If you leave it in pause for awhile (I had mine paused for about 5 minutes, give or take) it will swap the channels after you come out of pause.  I'm running a UA-5 into my JB3.  I'm running firmware 1.40.  It has happened multiple times.  I realize that this is probably not a problem for many of you, since many of you have no need to stay paused for any amount of time.  But I discovered it and thought I should pass it on.  I know there have been reported issues of the meters showing the wrong channel, but no reported issue of the actual channels swapping.  It's really not a big deal if it happens--you just swap the channels back in a wave editor and it's all good.

Happy taping!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3--swaps channels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 11:29:36 PM »
I've discovered a "new" bug with the JB3.  If you leave it in pause for awhile (I had mine paused for about 5 minutes, give or take) it will swap the channels after you come out of pause.  I'm running a UA-5 into my JB3.  I'm running firmware 1.40.  It has happened multiple times.  I realize that this is probably not a problem for many of you, since many of you have no need to stay paused for any amount of time.  But I discovered it and thought I should pass it on.  I know there have been reported issues of the meters showing the wrong channel, but no reported issue of the actual channels swapping.  It's really not a big deal if it happens--you just swap the channels back in a wave editor and it's all good.

Happy taping!

if that's true, that's a big problem, imo.
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 09:03:03 AM »

Happy taping!

if that's true, that's a big problem, imo.

Yeah, I thought I had noticed this too, but figured it was just me screwing something up...

It hasn't been too much of an issue however...  Although I may go back and relisten to a show I got last week...  That one sounded reversed I thought...

T

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

hexyjones

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 10:09:52 AM »
How are you connecting the UA5? (not sure if it is implied...)

Is this issue affecting the analog or line inputs...?

Sorry - I am unfamiliar with the UA5...

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 11:19:46 AM »
Ya, I had this happen to me @ a Ben Kweller show in April. Its really weird... On that note, does anyone know how to reverse the stereo in Cool Edit Pro?

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 01:38:40 PM »
I am connecting the JB3 to the UA-5 via optical cable. 

Though unverified, I don't think it happens when using analog in.  I used analog in enough in similar situations and never noticed a problem.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 01:52:23 PM »
Are you guys sure the actual channels are being swapped then recorded swapped or just the meters are being swapped and it is still recording like it is supposed to?    If it is recording swapped then this is indeed a big fucking problem.
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 02:05:44 PM »
I've used pause fairly extensively, but I haven't run into this.  Maybe I'm just not leaving it on pause long enough.  Hmmmmm.

I'm curious if it remains bit-perfect aside from the flipped channels, i.e. flip the channels back to where they're supposed to be and see if it matches the original file.  I'm not in a position to do any testing at the moment - anyone wanna give this a try?  If it retains bit accuracy even though the L/R are switched, it's easy enough to flip the channels in post production on the PC = IMO, not a huge deal.  And if it doesn't, still BFD as I just won't leave the sucker in pause.  It's just as easy to get it all set to go and just press Play when it's time, only takes about ~2 seconds to start the recording (still faster than starting a DAT recording that's not already in pause).
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2004, 02:21:01 PM »
Yes it is easy enough to do it in post, but how to do you *know* when it has done it and when it hasn't?  That would be the biggest problem I think.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2004, 02:30:28 PM »
Yes it is easy enough to do it in post, but how to do you *know* when it has done it and when it hasn't?  That would be the biggest problem I think.

I usually spot-listen the recording when I get home just to make sure I didn't completely screw the pooch.  IME, identifying swapped L/R is plenty easy (I've done it enough times setting up my mics R/L instead of  L/R!).

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 04:29:32 PM »
yea, this isn't really new. i've heard about it for a good while now. still haven't been able to pinpoint if it just swaps meters or actual channels though.
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 04:40:28 PM »
i mean no offense by this, but why pause the unit at all?  i've been using my jb3 for about a year and a half and have yet to have to pause it.  so just wondering.

Offline rokpunk

• WOULD HIT IT
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2004, 04:41:24 PM »
I've used pause fairly extensively, but I haven't run into this.  Maybe I'm just not leaving it on pause long enough.  Hmmmmm.

I'm curious if it remains bit-perfect aside from the flipped channels, i.e. flip the channels back to where they're supposed to be and see if it matches the original file.  I'm not in a position to do any testing at the moment - anyone wanna give this a try?  If it retains bit accuracy even though the L/R are switched, it's easy enough to flip the channels in post production on the PC = IMO, not a huge deal.  And if it doesn't, still BFD as I just won't leave the sucker in pause.  It's just as easy to get it all set to go and just press Play when it's time, only takes about ~2 seconds to start the recording (still faster than starting a DAT recording that's not already in pause).

sounds like a great project for ya, Brian!
The new and improved taperssection.com....now with freedom of speech without the repercussion of -T's!

again, your showing your cluelessness.

Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation........

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2004, 04:46:16 PM »
sounds like a great project for ya, Brian!

Heh.  Maybe after I move.  But I think I'm gonna do a Canare StarQuad v. Audio Magic HyperConductor mic cable comp first.   ;D

Offline ChrisV

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2004, 04:48:46 PM »
I may do some testing tonight if I am bored enough...not the bit-accuracy stuff but just testing to see if it does indeed swap channels on the actual recording.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.107 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com