Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 issues  (Read 1633 times)

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
UA5 issues
« on: September 12, 2004, 12:43:40 AM »
Ok so my friend digimodded my UA5 for me.  When I was using it today, I had my usual battery, and everything was working fine, and then the phantom power just died.  So I plugged in another battery, and the phantom power worked again, but the optical signal cut out.  So I shut the whole thing off, unplugged everything and turned it all on, and the optical signal was back and everything was working.  I connected the UA5 to my laptop in addition to having it connected to my JB3 just in case something happened.

Then during the last song tonight, some bitch was walking by and tripped right over my gear (which I thought was protected by my stand), and the UA5 and JB3 went flying.  The optical cable came out but everything else was fine.  Then about a minute later, soundforge froze.  So I shut down my computer and restarted it, and unplugged the UA5 and plugged it back in, and not only did the optical not even turn on, but now the computer wouldn't recognize the UA5 at all!! 

So does anyone know where the problem lies?  Could the wire that connects the digimod have come loose accidentally?  Is the whole box just fubar?  This really fucking sucks because I have a show to tape tomorrow as well, and now I dont have a preamp or phantom power :-(

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: UA5 issues
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 01:35:22 AM »
First, I'd run some more tests at home, see if you can pinpoint any more problems.

I also know that the jumper from the digi-mod can come loose especially when the modder doesn't use something like liquid tape to secure it.  the jumper is what routes the s/pdif signal directly to the optical/coaxial outs.  ask your friend if secured the jumper (or wire) and also asked if he physically cut the usb path or if he removed the resistor all together. but the fact that your computer doesn't recognize the ua-5 could suggest some really bad news...
Line Audio CM4 (4) / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 (2) / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / F2 (2) / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 11:02:44 AM »
i don't think the computer not recognizing it is that major, personally - usb is flaky like that. but the opti-out issue sounds like what chonher said, a loose jumper

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 11:14:56 AM »
I have had the phantom power and opti out issue. It was caused by a faulty cable from my battery to the UA5. Check that. Basically if the unit loses power for even a microsecond the PP will shut off. Sometimes after that the JB3 won't see the digi in. If that happens I had to shut everything off (including the JB3) to get everything running again.

I'm not sure on the computer stuff. Good luck. +T for dealing with(drunk) bitches.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline ChrisV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Proud member of team 'Lux!
    • My Taping Webpage
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 09:43:22 PM »
Hmm,
Not sure if I had a similiar issue or not but at Night 3 at DMB at the Gorge the phantom power mysteriously turned off in the middle of their set and I know there wasn't any way the button got bumped because I have secured it.   I powered off the UA-5 and switched batteries and the JB3 locked onto the signal again and everything appeared to work fine after that.

Measured the battery in question when I got home and it read about 10 V so I don't think it was that(9.6 RC battery pack).
http://taping.4t.com
http://db.etree.org/CV
Superlux CM-H8K/C/H/O -> digimod UA-5 -> JB3

Offline Elana

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 11:25:03 PM »
I'll check it with plug-in power tomorrow and see what happens.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com