Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Fr-2 Vs. SD 722  (Read 40136 times)

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
Re: Fr-2 Vs. SD 722
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2005, 08:12:24 AM »
hmmmm...
I dont recall ever saying anything about 48k vs 96k specifaly.  could you point that out for me?

Nevermind... Too much sawdust on the brain. Yesterday I was taking a break from the workshop when I read this thread and after re-reading the entry where I thought you were being specific about 96K vs. 48K. I realize it was a figment of my imagination... damn. Sorry about that.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2005, 11:05:14 AM »
... would surmise (falsely?) that it may be due to lack or resolution on your playback system.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the problem.

Nick, when you ran your tests 24/96 vs redbook, did you compare 24/48 vs 24/96?

Wayne, what system do you listen on?  You predicted my results.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular, just repsonding to what I had read which wasn't a whole lot.  I can definately hear the difference, though one thing I have read is that it ia harder to hear with tube based systems.  Not knowing what anyone on here listens on, I really couldn't say.  Sorry if I offended anyone.
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #137 on: August 18, 2005, 11:08:53 AM »
hmmmm...
I dont recall ever saying anything about 48k vs 96k specifaly.  could you point that out for me?

Nevermind... Too much sawdust on the brain. Yesterday I was taking a break from the workshop when I read this thread and after re-reading the entry where I thought you were being specific about 96K vs. 48K. I realize it was a figment of my imagination... damn. Sorry about that.

Wayne

thats cool.  All good.
+T Wayne

marc0789

« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2005, 11:55:22 AM »
Current Rig:

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex Transparent modified FR-2 (24 bits!)

Playback: Digital source->Toshiba 4960 (massive tweaks coming)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio 626r's with all upgrades, Rocket ELS SLT rears, mains on stands (modified with purple neon lights, about 24inches off the ground

Tweaks: vibroapods, bronze cones, heavy speaker spikes, isolation platforms under all components, heavy room treatment using accoustic purple foam, bass traps in all corners, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner with litz wiring and added filter (may change out receptacles and rewire diy in the near future)

who gives a fuck how many inches your speakers are off the ground, or what color your neon lights are, you shady dickweed. :-X

Offline HBK216

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2005, 12:44:07 PM »
So far I'm in love with the FR-2 as it has treated me well especially since switching over to recording with CF. I record just about everything at 24-96 minus a few sets where I knew I would have enough space to do 24-192.

I will try & post a few songs from different sets for people to download.

My only complaint is the huge lead battery that has destroyed my duffel bag. I plan on changing that soon as I want to get some 12v battery packs.

Offline HBK216

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2005, 12:53:33 PM »
Oops it would have been helpful if I provided that information.

I have the O-Mod FR2 that I purchased from Nick & I have a 3 capsule matched set of Oktava mc012's.

Offline HBK216

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #141 on: August 18, 2005, 01:08:34 PM »
No, I have no current plans of getting any other mods. I am really happy with the O-Mod & don't feel any changes need to be made at this time. My opinion could change but for now I don't think it will.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #142 on: August 18, 2005, 02:44:02 PM »
When my microtracker arrives, I'll probably start mastering everything at 2441 from here out. 

just remember dvd-video (audio-dvd-creator) doesn't support 44.1k, only 48k and 96k.  I'd stick with 48k mastering unless you're switching to dvd-a for 24bit playback.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #143 on: August 18, 2005, 04:41:14 PM »
I haven't used ADVDC for a while.  I prefer the gapless DVD-A action.
however...
I just sort of discovered that my kick ass Toshiba SD9200 only outputs 2448 via PCM.
Gggrrrrr!

oh well.  all the more reason for 2441.
Plus, then I only have one step in wavlab (uv22hr) for car music.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #144 on: February 09, 2006, 04:26:05 PM »
I personally think you will enjoy the fr-2 just as much, if not more.  I didn't care so much for the v3 with the gefell's, it still sounds great, it was just missing the presence that I wanted.  The t-mod on the other hand sounds fantastic.  Then again, I imagine a lot of what  hear is depndant on my playback system too.  If I had a tube amp, I may think differently.  I can send you all the samples in the world of the t-mod with gefells though.

D~
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline HBK216

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #145 on: February 09, 2006, 04:58:54 PM »
While I don't have the T-Mod version of the FR-2, I can't tell you how happy I am with the overall performance of it. Now that CF prices are dropping, I wouldn't mind picking up another 4 gig card.

philb

« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2006, 09:03:19 AM »
A great device. I think you will be happy with the t-mod. I'm seriously considering an upgrade. I heard great tapes from the modded fr-2.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2006, 11:09:04 AM »
the O mod alone does sound good.  but the high end is shrill and not very detailed, imo.  its nit picking though, I pulled some great recording with it.

philb

« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2006, 04:40:21 PM »
I think there are several mods that can be performed on the fr-2 by Doug. The transparency or warm mods basically improve the sound quality of the "on-board" pre-amp (analog in). I've heard that the t-mod has a similar sound to the V3 and the w-mod has a sound close to the M148. I would ask Doug for more details. I think doug can also improve the analog out but I have not heard too much about this modification. The benefit of the fr-2 is that there is a lot of "head room" to work with for various modifications (i.e. addition of time code slates, mods to pre-amps, etc.) without eliminating other features (like mods to the Marantz 660).

I believe that the fr-2 can accept a microdrive. I occasionally use the PCM/CIA drive for my 1.8 inch hard drive with no problems. I've heard of disk errors with these drives at high sampling rates (24/96) but I have never encountered this problem at 24/48. I've taped a couple of shows that were very bass heavy (I could feel the bass vibrations pulsing thru the device). I prefer to use my cf card (4 gb Kingston) to avoid any stability issues with small drives. Typically, I will tape openers with the removable hard drive and use the cf card for the main performer.

The size and battery requirement is the only limiting factor of the fr-2. This device is very power hungry. I lug around a 12v SLA battery for several hours of recording time. The fr-2 size is large compared to the 671 but the weight is probably very similar to the Marantz unit. The fr-2 has an excellent display screen and you don't need the manual to figure out how to run the device (very user friendly). The buttons are large and separated enough to avoid possible errors with pushing the wrong button in dark situations. There are two recording level knobs on the fr-2 (trim knobs on the top and the recording knob on the front of the device). I typically run the recording knob at 10 and use the trim knobs to adjust levels (Doug's recommendation)

I hope this helps!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2006, 04:50:57 PM »
having used all of them, the Marantz is the best in all things ergonomic, battery power..etc.
it can swing a microdrive as well.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com