Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam US-122 and JB3  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Mitchell (Jake and Sawyer's Dad)

• The old man knooooooows..... very well.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Rock stars... is there anything they don't know?"
Tascam US-122 and JB3
« on: October 04, 2004, 10:30:03 AM »
Sorry for the multiple post - I wasnt sure where the best pace for this question would be.  I posted this on the "Pre's" board as well:

"Hey all - I lurk a ton, but dont post much (usually only when I need something!!! Wink Grin)

Here is my question - I just got a JB3, and am now looking for the right preamp.  I realize that the UA-5 is probably the way to go, but has anyone ever used or heard of using the Tascam US-122 as a preamp?  I alerady have one of these and have used it for laptop taping, but was wondering if it could work with the JB3.  I think one issue is going to be that it is powered via USB which could limit its ability to be used.  I dont have it in front of me, and I cant remember if there is also a spot for other external power.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Mitchell"
Bass Rig:

Modulus - Korg DR1 - CAE 4X4
Channel 1:  CAE 4x4 - ADA PreAmp - Decmeter Tube PreAmp - Meyer UX-1 - Meyer EQ - Meyer CQ2
Channel 2:  CAE 4x4 - Boss OC3/Meatball/CAE 150.1 - Eventude 4000
Channel 3 - Decmeter  Tude Direct - CAE 150.1 - SWR 400 - SWR Goliath

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Tascam US-122 and JB3
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:35:37 AM »
looks to me as if it's powered by USB only...
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 11:41:13 AM »

SO, if its powered by USB only does that mean I cannot use it with the JB3?  Sorry for the running questions on this - I am a taper newb and am trying to learn all this tech stuff.
Bass Rig:

Channel 1:  CAE 4x4 - ADA PreAmp - Decmeter Tube PreAmp - Meyer UX-1 - Meyer EQ - Meyer CQ2

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 11:47:41 AM »

SO, if its powered by USB only does that mean I cannot use it with the JB3?  Sorry for the running questions on this - I am a taper newb and am trying to learn all this tech stuff.

The NJB3 won't power another device via USB.  Theoretically, I suppose you could power the Tascam from a laptop and then feed the Tascam outs to the NJB3.  But that would be a BIG PITA.

What mics are you using?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 11:53:58 AM »

The NJB3 won't power another device via USB.  Theoretically, I suppose you could power the Tascam from a laptop and then feed the Tascam outs to the NJB3.  But that would be a BIG PITA.

What mics are you using?

I go the JB3 so I wouldnt have to lug around the stinkin laptop!  Yeah - BIG PITA!!!

I am using R0de NT4.  These are powered, so cant I just run the mic directly into the JB3 via the line in without the need for a preamp?
Bass Rig:

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 12:30:16 PM »
Prolly not.  I doubt the mics will kick out enough gain, but try it and see.  You might be able to use line transformers, that may up give you a bit more gain.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 12:32:00 PM by Scooter »
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 12:33:35 PM »
when using battery to power the mic and the mic to 1/8" connecting cable, you may be able to run line into your jb3.

my advice. didtch the us-122 and grab the more versatile ua-5, mod it yerself or get someone to do it for you. then you can run with or without laptop

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 12:51:55 PM »
I am using R0de NT4.  These are powered, so cant I just run the mic directly into the JB3 via the line in without the need for a preamp?

Looks like Scooter beat me to the punch on this one, but FWIW...

Yup.  Though your signal may or may not be strong enough to get adequate levels on the NJB3.  Since the NT4's powered internally, you could also pick up a pair of inexpensive (~$40/pr) line transformers to add gain between the NT4 and NJB3.  I used and liked the Hosa MIT-176s, FWIW.  There's some discussion elsewhere on the board right now questioning how much gain transformers provide given the specs of the other devices in the chain.  I don't have answers to those questions, but
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 01:35:43 PM »
I think I am gonna try the line transformers and see what happens.  I mainly want to use this rig to record my bands' practices and gigs.  The less expensive the better!  If I need to, I will get the UA-5 and have someone else mod it for me.  for now, though, I am gonna give the mic a shot on its own and see how it does.  I will report back with the results after band practice tomorrow night!
Bass Rig:

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 10:50:15 AM »
Hey guys - I tried using just the mics, and there wasnt a strong enough signal coming into the JB3.  I even pumped the JB3's gain up to +12, and I got barely a whisper even when I yelled into the mic!  I am thinking that the line transformers arent going to add enough, so it looks like I am in the market for a UA-5 and power source - anyone know of one????
Bass Rig:

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 02:32:34 PM »
ebay is where i got a stock ua-5, then modded it myself, its very very easy.  then I went to wal mart and got a portable dvd player battery, the 9v version, for $50 and an adaptaplugs b & m, and the wire from radio shack (the guy at radioshack realized i was being ripped off by them and only charged me for the one adaptaplug, he rules).  All told about $260 for ua-5 and battery if you go that route.  Self modding is the way to go
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com